Building keys questions

LiftPizzas

1- I'm in building mode and place some trinium blank hull blocks (wedge, etc) on the hotbar so I can switch between them without bringing up the menu. Then at some point during building they are changed into iron or naonite or another material. Same shape, just naonite now. I looked through the keys shown in F1 in the build screen and I don't see anything that suggests it would do this. Can someone tell me what key combination I'm hitting to do this?

2- Another thing that happens in building is sometimes when I hold ctrl while placing a wedge, at some point during this process it rotates the piece. When I let up on ctrl it's suddenly facing a completely different direction and I need to re-rotate it to use it again.

3- One other question: what exactly is supposed to be the difference between Shift and Ctrl?

Thanks in advance for any answers. :)

1. When you scroll over the hotbar at the bottom, it changes the material of the hotbar’s items, but not of what you’re about to place. It could be that you scrolled the hotbar before you selected an item, which placed the wrong material. I have no other ideas for why you’re experiencing that. I haven’t experienced this. Also, make sure you’re not confusing the name of the applied paint color with the material.

2. It took me a while to figure this out; I used to wonder why this happens. Happens to me when I press ctrl+v. When you press control, your block seems to match the orientation of the surface piece. That’s simply it: ctrl has this function. This one is easy to work around, thankfully.

3. Don’t remember the differences between the shift and control. When you use them, look at the currently used block in the upper right corner to see how the game visualizes the function that you’re using, and figure out the difference. Or you can see if F1 has the information.

1. When you scroll over the hotbar at the bottom, it changes the material of the hotbar’s items, but not of what you’re about to place. It could be that you scrolled the hotbar before you selected an item, which placed the wrong material. I have no other ideas for why you’re experiencing that. I haven’t experienced this. Also, make sure you’re not confusing the name of the applied paint color with the material.

2. It took me a while to figure this out; I used to wonder why this happens. Happens to me when I press ctrl+v. When you press control, your block seems to match the orientation of the surface piece. That’s simply it: ctrl has this function. This one is easy to work around, thankfully.

3. Don’t remember the differences between the shift and control. When you use them, look at the currently used block in the upper right corner to see how the game visualizes the function that you’re using, and figure out the difference. Or you can see if F1 has the information.

Thanks, I'll check #1.

As far as #2, I'm using ctrl specifically for the matching functionality. It doesn't rotate the piece every time, and not until I let up on ctrl. So for example if I have a ramp piece with the diagonal facing upward, when I press ctrl it resizes the connected face to match, and as long as I keep holding ctrl until I place the block it will place in the orientation I started with. But if I hold Ctrl, then don't place the block, then let up on Ctrl, sometimes it will then rotate the block so the diagonal is facing the front of the ship, for example.

Edit:

I checked, #1 is correct, mouse scroll changes material. I'm sure it was happening while I was zooming in/out. Thanks! :)

#2 and 3, as far as I can tell, Shift only changes the dimensions and Ctrl attempts to match the orientation/rotation as well. (It can work pretty well for some blocks like the twisted corner. It doesn't seem to work when I hold ctrl over a rectangular face while trying to set a pyramid block with only one rectangular side. You'd think that would try to match up the two rectangles.)

And yeah when you go to paste something in, have your mouse over empty space to avoid the auto-rotate problems.