Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Any point to making a home system with factory supply chains?

ketamarine

Hi All,

New to this game and loving it so far. Just scouted a huge empty area near some allies with maybe 10 or so asteroids.

I've played around with the station mechanics and right now it seems EXTREMELY onerous to set up the cargo shuttle routes between stations. Just a massive time sink that is 0% as enjoyable as other aspects of this game. I am looking at the cargo shuttle size mods to make it easier...

My question is:

Is there any reason to set up a "home sector" and start building a bunch of factories for stuff in it? Seems like it will take years to set up all the pieces for a turret factory for example. If I just set up mines on all those asteroids, will traders actually come and buy from them? Or will I need to manage the output of everything manually?

I could see the benefit of doing one part of the supply chain at a time to produce some expensive goods to sell, but at the moment it just seems super frustrating to set up all the lines. And perhaps better just to drop mines inside other people's territory and maybe even a factory here or there to supply missing / expensive components.

Yes.  Factories and mines are by far the most lucrative source of credits.

Take your time on it.  Be aware too, that the game's economy is dynamic, and will respond to what you build and supply.

Planning is key.

So, if I got things right, there are shuttles of several sizes (that I had already found out in game), and there's a cap on the number of shuttles that can be in space at the same time...does that cap limit the number of vehicles, or the quantity of freight?

If it's the former, then it'd be better to plan my economy as to use the biggest shuttles available and fill them to the brim so that I get the biggest amount of freight carried for  the number of shuttles I'm allowed to use, right?

And should the latter be true, what would be the best "business plan"?

So, if I got things right, there are shuttles of several sizes (that I had already found out in game), and there's a cap on the number of shuttles that can be in space at the same time...does that cap limit the number of vehicles, or the quantity of freight?

If it's the former, then it'd be better to plan my economy as to use the biggest shuttles available and fill them to the brim so that I get the biggest amount of freight carried for  the number of shuttles I'm allowed to use, right?

And should the latter be true, what would be the best "business plan"?

Actually, there isn't a limit to the number of fighters in a normal singleplayer galaxy, unless MaximumFightersPerSectorAndPlayer from the galaxy configuration file is set to a different value from the default of '-1'. Oops, I’m wrong.

It's best to increase the size of cargo shuttles, but it makes the shuttle more expensive, unlike designing other fighters. I don't know the best business plan, and I don't know how much they carry. Maybe their cargo hold is the same as their size.

Hi,

either build just one high-end factory and rely on NPC trader ships to bring the ingredients, or build a full production chain and produce all the ingredients and ingredients for the ingredients and so on from scratch.

If you do any compromise between the two, (for example an accelerator factory, turbine factory, gauss rail factory and not build their dependencies) the factories will often not produce because some good in one of the factories will be missing, and no trader will bring it for a long time.

If you want to build a full production chain: https://avofactory.scrap-yard.org/en/factory-calculator.html

Also don't go to that sector too much after you build it, or pirates/xsotans will spawn, kill a NPC trader and it will be declared hazard zone (basically no profits for next 2 hours).

If you don't want to rely on cargo shuttles:

Transporter block and upgrade also work on stations, which can be useful - factories can buy/sell ingredients from/to other stations within docking range (if it has a trading system upgrade and a captain).

so you can give buy/sell orders on loop to a station.

And Transporter systems active range stacks, so if you don't have much else to put into system slots, those a good bet.

Mines and raw material stations produce a sheer profit. Factory chains multiply that profit, but without raw materials provided beforehand, they're a pain and doesn't worth the investment.