Scale?

Sofa

Are we working with any sort of scale in this game? Is there any way to tell the dimensions of a ship?

I'd been considering a 1x1x1 block to be 2 cubic meters up to now, but my scale is based on somewhat contrived logic (a 13 crew quarters block adds one crew; assuming they provide enough room for a 185cm tall person to stand and move around in, 2 cubic meters seems like a nice, round dimension).

According to the ship's stats, the scale of a single 1x1x1 block is 1000 cm^3, or 10cm^3

The implication is that each crew member only needs ~950 cm^3 to live in, which I am pretty sure is lower than the volume of a human body.

I think it would make more sense if each block were 10 Meters instead of 10 centemeters.

With this, I can finally calculate computer cores and module upgrades.. Probably

Edit: Apperently the values given to unlock module slots do not match the reality. You get the first upgrade at 48000 cm^3, or 48 units^3, intead of the stated 128000 cm^3 or 128 units^3. Also scaffolding does not appear to contribute anything to this, which is probably good thing.

According to the ship's stats, the scale of a single 1x1x1 block is 1000 cm^3, or 10cm^3

The implication is that each crew member only needs ~950 cm^3 to live in, which I am pretty sure is lower than the volume of a human body.

I think it would make more sense if each block were 10 Meters instead of 10 centemeters.

With this, I can finally calculate computer cores and module upgrades.. Probably

Edit: Apperently the values given to unlock module slots do not match the reality. You get the first upgrade at 48000 cm^3, or 48 units^3, intead of the stated 128000 cm^3 or 128 units^3. Also scaffolding does not appear to contribute anything to this, which is probably good thing.

Taking that into account, I tried measuring my latest ship, the Man'aan fast-attack corvette. If a 13 block is 10003cm, that means it's only 10cm long/wide/high, and the Man'aan would therefore be just over one meter long, despite weighing in at more than 1800 tons and supporting a crew of eight. So I'm either bad at math, the devs aren't as OCD as I am about dimensions, or the denizens of this fictional galaxy are tiny and build with extremely dense materials.

Well. The label is wrong then in the game stats. I didn't have anywhere to work from aside from the information given, which was nonsense.

When you get around to it, change the measurement label from cm^3 to m^3. That will fix it, and give a proper scale.

So, each block is 10 meters cubed? hmm. well, 950 cubic meters is plenty of space for a crew member.

By which I mean that is the given value. doing some quick research, A person needs 100-400 square feet of floorspace to feel comfortable, but houses tend to have up to 1300 sqrt ft per person. Ceilings are around 8 feet tall, but we can skew that to 10 for sanity.

so, 100 to 1300 sqr feet. 1000 to 13000 square feet.

~0.3 meters per foot, so 0.3^3, or 0.0283168, Skew 0.03 for sanity.

30 m^3 to 390 m^3 minimalist of 1/32 to ~1/3rd for excessive.

I am going to assume, then, that we are going to use 400 sqr feet, so 120 m^3. The remaining 830 cubic meters are used for life support equipment.

Or something, no idea. Just how the math and research turned out.

If 10 meters cubed is the value given, then, a few other details.

Any crew quarters with any dimension smaller than 2.m, or 0.2 scaleon one dimension, and 1.5 meter (0.15) on the other should probably be assumed as nonfunctional, since a person couldn't fit/walk in that area.

Could just use a wall thickness of 1 meter (0.1) for the calculation.

As such.

block x, y, z

Useful volume x,y,z, all -(0.1*2) (Two walls)

So, multiply the three after subtracting the offset value, get actual volume. Then scale it. Probably use 300 meters cubed then.

Still can't figure out the Cargo container equation....

It would be nice if we could get an anthropomorphic scale to judge our ships against.  How hard would it be to build a little Lego spaceman out of blocks, to show us how big people are in Avorion's scaling, and save that as a prefab object to allow us to import and compare against our ships?

Well. The label is wrong then in the game stats. I didn't have anywhere to work from aside from the information given, which was nonsense.

When you get around to it, change the measurement label from cm^3 to m^3. That will fix it, and give a proper scale.

It seems to say 'cm' which I guess is an abbreviation for 'cubic metres'. Still, I think koonschi could do with pasta'ing

in ⁻¹²³ characters (if it is possible) to make m³, m s⁻², m s⁻¹ and rad s⁻¹.