Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Server problems

fireshaper

I tried setting up a server on another PC at my house that I have always running. At first I could connect to it using the local IP just fine so I decided to open the port and invite a friend to play with me. He can't connect, the game says he comes on online and then he says it just tells him "Connection Closed" and I see that he went offline. Also, the first time I connected to the galaxy I saw plenty of asteroids but now there are none.

ServerLog: http://pastebin.com/zpAZVC65

ClientLog: http://pastebin.com/eiLPQ9n6

Also, in chat, the R and M keys don't work. R types nothing and M opens the map.

It was under a minute that he came online and then went offline, enough time that I was able to say hey and thought he might have seen it and then logged out.

I just tried from work and was able to log in and play (still without asteroids though).

I'll attach his clientlog as soon as he sends it.

• Boxelware Team

The log says that the connection got closed by the client due to a server timeout. For some reason the client did not receive a single UDP packet from the server. This is the reason why you get disconnected (or rather why YOU disconnected). I don't know specifically what could cause that kind of behaviour, except for a firewall blocking those packets.

Can you provide the corresponding server log?

• Boxelware Team
Do you think Windows Firewall would block it?

It's a wild guess. I have no idea if this is actually the case. What I do know, is, that the client receives no UDP packets from the server for some reason. I'm afraid right now I can't tell you more than to double check your ports and firewall configurations. I would need the server- and the corresponding clientlog or the client that disconnected for such a situation.

• 2 months later...

I have updated to 0.4.1 on both my client and the server (new PC with new install of WinXP) and I'm still getting the same error. I updated the firmware on my router to DD-WRT and made sure that the firewall is turned off and the port is forwarded correctly. I can connect and while I'm connected my friend tries to connect and it just shows her a Loading screen for a minute and then kicks her out. I see that she logged in and then a few seconds later when offline.

Here's her clientlog: http://pastebin.com/eBAfLz6X

Here's my serverlog: http://pastebin.com/u6zBcf16

I can connect to the server on my network just fine though.

• Boxelware Team

Your server seems to accept the connections just fine. That is not the problem.

From the logfiles it looks like a graphics problem. Your friend should try to update her graphics drivers. To be completely sure she should start the AvorionTrace link from the installation folder and make the game crash. After that, post her logfile again.

• 1 month later...

Alright, so I decided to that instead of running a server at home where my bandwidth is limited that I would rent out a VPS and run a server there. Avorion is installed and running and I can connect from my computer. Only problem is that I stay connected for a minute or two (long enough to look around and sometimes switch sectors) and then when I try to fly forward I get booted saying that I lost connection. I'm able to reconnect right away and this keeps happening.

And for some reason I'm not getting the serverlog to be created.

Don't you just love troubleshooting?

• Boxelware Team

Over the last few days/weeks, I've found out that this is actually a bug. Some networking packets just went missing for no apparent reason, or can't be sent. This means for the client that the server is no longer responding, it creates a timeout and closes the connection.

This issue seems to present with a few clients, and should be fixed in the upcoming version.