Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Server ran out of disk space, (new) faction generation issue, trigger re-gen?

BloodyIron

Suggestion

So my alerting thresholds weren't quite ideal (95% usage, with a few percentage of inaccuracy, UGH) and my server ran out of space over night. I've since grown the disk plenty, and free disk space is readily available.

Looks like a few factions were generated as new, and on startup it complains saying "reading of file ... fialed, moving on to the next instance, error: unexpected end of file", which are completely reasonable error messages, as the factions probably weren't fully written to disk.

In scenarios like this, as an option for an admin, I'd like to be able to force re-gen (or complete generation of remaining) of the problematic factions. Since they are new factions, I would be okay with regenning them as people haven't really become reliant on them for very long (3 hours now?).

This is an infrequent scenario indeed, but it would be nice to have an option (or it just do it) to do this, so we can reduce errors at the console log going forward, instead of increase them.

Thoughts?

5 answers to this suggestion

I would maybe make a copy of it and run a separate instance to try out before doing it on the live server, but I wonder if deleting the faction files may help?  As all of the RNG stuff in the game is seed based, even deleting and recreating fully working and existing factions should regen them with the same traits and all.  I just don't know where faction relations information is stored.

Well, that's part of why I'm suggesting making a copy of the server, first.  Spin it up local to you and connect, fly to a faction sector, shut down then try it and boot back up and see what happens.

Actually, give me a few.  I have a creative I've been using to test all kinds of things.  Let me poke it and see what happens. :)

Yeah, I'm doubting there's an already included one, though I guess you never know (and maybe they'll add one).

Ok, test results!

From what I can see, deleting all the faction files has no odd effects that I can find.  Most I see is that factions that I don't have anything near/haven't come into contact since the "wipe" no longer appear in the list of known factions in game.  I can say that this is kind of expected.

All faction relation numbers and statuses (ie, at war) seem to be unaffected.  I did this while controlling a ship sitting in the Home sector of one faction.

I had over 200 faction files in mine.  I expect you'll probably see more with having more players.  Upon loading in the first time, it seemed a little slower loading as it regened some of the files.

Before:

PrVdyNI.jpg

After:

2X5Cxnh.jpg

Obviously it's up to you if you want to try this.  I don't know if there's a way to identify just the corrupt factions' files or not.

Edit: And obviously, I'd still recommend making a copy of the entire galaxy folder as a backup, just in case.

And as I think about it, too, you could maybe use one of the backups that the game makes automatically vs deleting the faction files.