Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

My going-away pointless feedback. Peace.

SnakeWildlife

Suggestion

--Possibly contains spoilers, do not read if you dont want to know anything.--

Seems kind of pointless to give you feedback when nothing ever becomes of it, but here's the results of my time and effort after playing the 1.0 release, from beginning to end, from a big fan who wanted this game to improve but has given up. 1.0 is my last playthrough.

1. Weapon ranges and balance are broken. We've been telling you for years but you just dont seem to get the point no matter how much we drill it and show it to you. When most enemies and even things like the Wormhole Guardian have an attack range of 5km...it makes no sense that our weapons (most effective being Rail and lightning...AGAIN) can attack from 30km. (rail and lightning having insane range as well as the dps). Years have gone by and it's still the same problem.

Example of the imbalance:

On my 1.0 playthrough the strongest Machine gun i found was a 3 slot machine gun at 2.2k dps.

3 Slots, 2.2kdps, 4.5km range. Roughly 733dps per slot. Remember that.

I can blow up a station or get the parts cheaply by buying them, and instantly craft a railgun that has 25k dps, 5 slots, and has 30.5km range, and has anti-matter (double damage against hull. And also craft lightning guns exactly the same but with energy rounds (double damage to shields)

5 slots, 25kdps, doubled to 50kdps with ammo type, 30.5km range. Roughly 10,000 dps per slot. Do you begin to see the shear ludicrous scale of the imbalance yet? We've been telling them for years. Under these conditions, equipping the machine gun is statistically senseless.

2. Broken Cat and mouse chasing AI. The Ai chases itself many 100's of km's away from the center of the sector, the problem is worst in early game where in many situations, youre chasing an enemy incredible distances to finish it off, often this can put you so far away from the center of the sector, that elements of the UI literally break and de-render.

3. Economy has been destroyed by the recent changes. Pirating from cargo ships and fighting off the sectors defenders used to be a vital element of the gameplay that was fun. But now thats all gone, as cargo ships dont spawn once 'Turmoil' has enabled, and there's no point attacking cargo ships when destroying stations which eventually rebuild themselves means you get all the loot and materials you need super-fast, in a way that is not really fun or challenging.

4. Unbareable lag when attempting to play multiplayer, due to the games total disrespect to bandwidth consumption, and absolutely no willpower on the developers side to address the issue. This has lead to most multiplayer servers forever shutting down or keeping population caps super low and just continueing to play knowing that the unplayable lag is just part of the experience. With confirmations from the dev team that there are no plans to do anything about it, entire Avorion Discord groups i was apart of have shut down. We we're hoping to get servers up and running again but you basically shot them down.

5. Reputation building with factions is too slow and boring. There are not enough 'actual quests' offered to you in each sector and even if you do them, the reputation is usually hardly worth the time. Waiting around for pirate/xsotan attacks is even more a waste of computer time and home electricity. Best thing to do is blow up stations, earn quick credits, and buy your reputation up...which is broken. Again, (and obvious) major imbalances here. Through Steam and other snippets of information i muster, i get the impression there is little to no testing going on. You have to play your own game, people like me who provide the feedback are becoming more reluctant to come forward and do so due to the depression that nothing becomes of it.

6. Scrolling through the different types of blocks was quicker and better before you changed the building UI. Now having to manually select them or drag them onto a limited bar of 10 parts has really slowed down my build speed and dramatically increased the amount of mouseclicks i have to make and do to build. Same with enabling/disabling the mirroring UI, is an extra pointless click among many that slows down our creativity and makes it just that little more tedious.

I leave you with this, and i expect much of the same, hardly any changes, and probably people on the forum never making their mind up or fighting over ideologies of how it could or should be (love you guys for sticking around by the way, and showing the passion that is needed here, but we have the same conversations over and over and nothing ever happens). Without fixes, without a key decision maker, with the problems that never get addressed and there being no willpower to fix them...this is as far as i can go. It was fun, until about 9 months ago when the bandwidth issues began shutting the multiplayer servers down. I held on as much as i could because i saw massive potential in Avorion but i cant withstand anymore of this. I wish i could rollback using Steams ability to install older versions, but sadly you deleted the older versions from the list.

Edits: Spelling

3 answers to this suggestion

--Possibly contains spoilers, do not read if you dont want to know anything.--

Seems kind of pointless to give you feedback when nothing ever becomes of it, but here's the results of my time and effort after playing the 1.0 release, from beginning to end, from a big fan who wanted this game to improve but has given up. 1.0 is my last playthrough.

1. Weapon ranges and balance are broken. We've been telling you for years but you just dont seem to get the point no matter how much we drill it and show it to you. When most enemies and even things like the Wormhole Guardian have an attack range of 5km...it makes no sense that our weapons (most effective being Rail and lightning...AGAIN) can attack from 30km. (rail and lightning having insane range as well as the dps). Years have gone by and it's still the same problem.

Example of the imbalance:

On my 1.0 playthrough the strongest Machine gun i found was a 3 slot machine gun at 2.2k dps.

3 Slots, 2.2kdps, 4.5km range. Roughly 733dps per slot. Remember that.

I can blow up a station or get the parts cheaply by buying them, and instantly craft a railgun that has 25k dps, 5 slots, and has 30.5km range, and has anti-matter (double damage against hull. And also craft lightning guns exactly the same but with energy rounds (double damage to shields)

5 slots, 25kfps, doubled to 50kdps with ammo type, 30.5km range. Roughly 10,000 dps per slot. Do you begin to see the shear ludicrous scale of the imbalance yet? We've been telling them for years. Under these conditions, equipping the machine gun is statistically senseless.

2. Broken Cat and mouse chasing AI. The Ai chases itself many 100's of km's away from the center of the sector, the problem is worst in early game where in many situations, youre chasing an enemy incredible distances to finish it off, often this can put you so far away from the center of the sector, that elements of the UI literally break and de-render.

3. Economy has been destroyed by the recent changes. Pirating from cargo ships and fighting off the sectors defenders used to be a vital element of the gameplay that was fun. But now thats all gone, as cargo ships dont spawn once 'Turmoil' has enabled, and there's no point attacking cargo ships when destroying stations which eventually rebuild themselves means you get all the loot and materials you need super-fast, in a way that is not really fun or challenging.

4. Unbareable lag when attempting to play multiplayer, due to the games total disrespect to bandwidth consumption, and absolutely no willpower on the developers side to address the issue. This has lead to most multiplayer servers forever shutting down or keeping population caps super low and just continueing to play knowing that the unplayable lag is just part of the experience. With confirmations from the dev team that there are no plans to do anything about it, entire Avorion Discord groups i was apart of have shut down. We we're hoping to get servers up and running again but you basically shot them down.

5. Reputation building with factions is too slow and boring. There are not enough 'actual quests' offered to you in each sector and even if you do them, the reputation is usually hardly worth the time. Waiting around for pirate/xsotan attacks is even more a waste of computer time and home electricity. Best thing to do is blow up stations, earn quick credits, and buy your reputation up...which is broken. Again, (and obvious) major imbalances here. Through Steam and other snippets of information i muster, i get the impression there is little to no testing going on. You have to play your own game, people like me who provide the feedback are becoming more reluctant to come forward and do so due to the depression that nothing becomes of it.

6. Scrolling through the different types of blocks was quicker and better. Now having to manually select them or drag them onto a limited bar of 10 parts has really slowed down my build speed and dramatically increased the amount of mouseclicks i have to make and do to build. Same with enabling/disabling the mirroring UI, is an extra pointless click among many that slows down our creativity and makes it just that little more tedious.

I leave you with this, and i expect much of the same, hardly any changes, and probably people on the forum never making their mind up or fighting over ideologies of how it could or should be (love you guys for sticking around by the way, and showing the passion that is needed here, but we have the same conversations over and over and nothing ever happens). Without fixes, without a key decision maker, with the problems that never get addressed and there being no willpower to fix them...this is as far as i can go. It was fun, until about 9 months ago when the bandwidth issues began shutting the multiplayer servers down. I held on as much as i could because i saw massive potential in Avorion but i cant withstand anymore of this. I wish i could rollback using Steams ability to install older versions, but sadly you deleted the older versions from the list.

Hello, I am glad that we can exchange again :)

Me and the whole team understand the problems you described. We can also understand that some things in the game annoy you because they don't match your expectations. First of all, I am very sorry that this is the case. We try our best to give everyone a good gaming experience. As in a previous post by you on the same topic, I ask you to understand that we cannot solve all problems overnight.  :-\ We have already announced through steam that there will be an update in which we will consider and implement players' wishes. :) We also mentioned that we are definitely not done with Avorion yet.

We are still fixing the bugs in the game. So I ask you and the rest of the community for patience.  :) Unfortunately we can't promise that we can or will fulfill all wishes. Often it is the case that one player likes certain features and the other does not. Also unfortunately, I cannot understand why you think that we do not pay attention or listen to our community. Because we collect all your suggestions and wishes and we also react to the feedback of the community. Please understand that we are a small team, so it takes some time until we can implement things. I assure you that we will not let you down and continue to work on improvements.

As offered last time, you can write me a pm in which we discuss this topic together. I hope that I could help you with this and wish you a nice day. :) !

• Thanks 1

If you say the feedback is pointless why even post it?  You literally got a developer to respond to your 2 gripe threads, so...  I think you just like to gripe and have a toxic attitude.  Sure the game isn't perfect yet, but it has been improving and that should be observable. 

The turrets, while still slightly imbalanced, have defiantly improved (There was a time when you could get 100-200k turrets from factories and they weren't just rails or lightnings).  The devs have also said that they are still working on balancing weapons too, so these two factors alone should be plenty of evidence that they are working on them.

The new build system is better overall for ease of use, especially for new players.  Personally, I can build ships better than previously and I wouldn't consider myself a "novice". 

The turmoil timer is pretty long imo so I wouldn't mind that being lowered either, but the mechanic is good, especially since factions actually have a "ship supply limit. 

The cat and mouse thing is not very common and not really an issue since if you REALLY want to go kill a ship you can chase them down, quit being lazy and wanting everything to come flying within the range of your guns.  I live for the hunt

Personally I don't like anyone in the community leaving the game.  But your feedback you are providing is just a headache for the devs.  Your posts are incredibly passive aggressive, which makes nobody want to take you seriously.  Thankfully the devs take everyone seriously and listen from what it seems, and are even attempting to chat with you on discord in addition to responding to you on here.  Maybe you just don't actually read anyone's comments? 

It is nice to see a developer respond, and something to look forward to. That said, there are a lot of us who have been providing the same quality feedback talking about many of these same issues for years.

The devs have had time to do real balancing, as this was brought up more than a year ago, but it feels like they hurried up through other things they wanted to put into the game and slap "released" on it when, lets be honest devs, this game is far from "release" candidate state.

It's nice that your working on fixing bugs, and "considering" things that many in this community has been asking you to address, with videos, with factual information showing you the core issues of these balance issues... for years!

So Sue, pretty please with a few extra cherries on top, discuss the possibility with your dev team to open up with some transparency on the developers thoughts regarding these major and frankly put, game breaking inconsistencies and balance issues specifically with weapons that we have been providing proof of for years, and how you plan to actually address it.

Honestly this should be #1 priority followed by #2 - MP stability and cleaning up the code.