Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Seperate Player vs. Alliance Ship Totals

MagnusEffect

Suggestion

Do I understand correctly that the "MaximumPlayerShips" number dictates the same limit for both Players and Alliances?

That really needs to be two separate limiters.

You really should be able to say "every player gets 4 ships, and every alliance gets 16 ships" or something like that.

This is important for large player groups that want to share resources as part of an alliance, but don't want to give individuals the ability to build massive personal fleets that cause compounding server lag.

I know you all are busy, but please add a seperate "MaximumAllianceShips" value to the server.ini file.  It will really help with giving server admins more control over how many ships are built in-game.

EDIT: an expanded and improved version of this idea has been detailed below

4 answers to this suggestion

I've been running a dedicated server and while it was silky smooth for the first two weeks, lag has been increasing as players expand their individual fleets and stations.

The above solution would be an elegant fix to this problem.

To expand on the original idea, four separate values would be ideal:

MaximumPlayerShips= limit for personal ships per player

MaximumAllianceShips= limit for ships per alliance

MaximumPlayerStations= limit for personal stations per player

MaximumAllianceStations= limit for stations per alliance

This could be further expanded with sector control:

MaximumPlayerSectors= limit for controlled sectors for each player

MaximumAllianceSectors= limit for controlled sectors per alliance

How would that solve the problem with too many ships, if every player can found their own alliance?

That's a good point.  It would require admin to be able to "see" how many alliances there are and how many players are in them.  Or perhaps set a minimum number of players required to create a faction as well.. a number that could be modified in the server.ini file.    There are a host of ways to accomplish that.  The point is its totally reasonable to do.  Clearly, what we have now is completely insufficient in stopping the risk of what I'm going to call "player sprawl" that causes a the great majority of lag.

A somewhat seperate point, there also needs to be an admin command that lets you see ALL player objects... even those that are offline.  And Sneaky is right; this issue definitely needs addressing either sooner or later.  The only way I've managed to get around the issue on my server is forcing all players to join the same alliance so I can keep tabs on everyone and make sure no one is doing something that risk stability on the server, but that is obviously far from ideal.  We still run into the issue where I have to search manually on the galaxy map to see what everyone is doing and how many objects they own rather than having the server provide me the tools to do it automatically.