Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

A Button to repair all destroyed blocks and Hyperspace cooldown changes

Sir Charles

Hey,

So the short part first:

I NEED a "repair all destroyed blocks" button in the repair menu! After the ships got so pretty now i started to actually use some of the ingame designs. After some fights in early game I had lost some blocks and was heavily damaged. When i wanted to change my ship now, i couldnt do so because it was damaged, however i was missing the ressources to repair it fully (and i would not intend to do that anyways when i got mechanics onboard for that job). So i started repairing and some of the destroyed blocks where unreachable inside the ship, resulting in me being unable to repair the ship, but also unable to remove blocks so i could reach the destroyed ones to repair them.

A simple "repair all damaged blocks" button in the repair menu would save all players who like to use detailed ships a lot of trouble, so please consider adding one of these.

now for the second thingy, this is 50% feedback/50% bug report, i still think it is better in here then in bug reports:

I like the new hyperspace cooldown changes, but the debuff that hits the player once one is hit by shots (if i got that one right) is too high.

I was facing swoks in early game, where i just had the two start turrets on my ship and he hit me with a cupple of shots. My cooldown was all the way up to 600 seconds after that (the ship was not small, but not tanky and very badly equipped). So i ran away with terrible consequences. After flying with about 5000 meters per second all ships in the sector disappeared. Swoks was about 400 kilometers away from my ship at that point. I could still select pirate ships with the tab key, but they were not visible and the indicators on the hud would just point in some direction but instantly change once I would look in that direction (so they would always indicate they are not where i was looking if you know what i mean). I eventually escaped by continuing to fly for 600 seconds, and then jumped into a save sector that was owned by an allied faction.

The problem was that the same problem that occured with the pirates before would now happen always in all sectors, i guess i was too far away from the sector center.

To make a long story short: That hyperspace cooldown debuff when you get shot is fine, but it should disappear again after you have avoided getting hit for some time. The HUD-thingy might be a bug, i don't know.

Repair all is available in the repair menu, but you have to have the resources to replace that which has been destroyed.

You also have to wait a cool down time after taking damage to use it.

Thanks!

Repair all is available in the repair menu

Exactly. But this is not the solution but the very problem.

Imagine you have a medium size ship in early game. You just built it and spent all your ressources on it (because thats how I usually play, mining as long as i have fun and building one big ship with all the collected materials afterwards). So lets assume your ship cost 60k titanium and some amount of credits. Now you crash with an asteroid and a tiny detail bit like a antenna breaks off. Your health is at a quarter now.

And there are destroyed blocks which you cant find because they are too small or some internals which you cannot reach got destroyed and you cant delete surrounding blocks because ship editing is not allowed.

Essentially the problem here is that the repair all button will restore the max health of your ship, which i do not care about at all, i just want my integrity field/generator/pretty detail blocks back!

This is where it gets extremely annoying:

- You don't have the ressources to repair your ship (i personally would never ever use that button anyways, why would i waste ressources for something my mechanics will do automatically by time), while you would have the ressources to repair all destroyed blocks without trouble

- you can not delete blocks to get ressources to repair your ship because ship editing is blocked when you have destroyed blocks

- if you discard destroyed blocks, you might never be able to restore that detail from before unless you are lucky with your saved designs and even then it will be annoying to do

One simple button solves all of this: "Repair all destroyed blocks"

Thx for considering!

Ahh ok, so instead of waiting for your engineers to repair everything, you want to replace the destroyed blocks right away.

A dedicated repair ship or repair squadron could help repair your ship to its current max faster, then once your back to your fullest capable health then Hit the repair all button and it will just replace destroyed blocks.

Otherwise yes as an avid space Barbie supporter I could see the need for this.

A dedicated repair ship or repair squadron could help repair your ship to its current max faster, then once your back to your fullest capable health then Hit the repair all button and it will just replace destroyed blocks.

Ah thats a nice tip, now that we have a repair command. :)

This is super-helpfull for mid to late game, but will however not help me in my current earlygame situation.

I'm sorry but it looks like an unnecessary function to cover for your bad decisions.

- You should never spend all of your resources or money to build something, and even if you do, you should be able to purchase some resources or earn some credits shortly to perform repairs. You always should have at least 10% of the materials left unspent for potential repairs regardless of the size of the ship you're building and stage of the game you're playing.

- If you have lost something important on the ship, then having a button is not going to help, since you won't have materials to replace it anyway, and minor decorative stuff can be discarded. If you do have the materials, then use the Repair Dock.

- You also can filter visibility to restore particular blocks inside the ship, as long as you have at least some idea what those blocks may be.

I may see why players might like this button, but I generally oppose new functions, that are suggested to be introduced merely to alleviate very few particular mistakes people do and the consequences that those people are too bored to deal with themselves. When there's a button to solve every self-inflicted issue, people become lazy and don't get to improve their problem-solving skills.

I'm sorry but it looks like an unnecessary function to cover for your bad decisions.

- You should never spend all of your resources or money to build something, and even if you do, you should be able to purchase some resources or earn some credits shortly to perform repairs. You always should have at least 10% of the materials left unspent for potential repairs regardless of the size of the ship you're building and stage of the game you're playing.

- If you have lost something important on the ship, then having a button is not going to help, since you won't have materials to replace it anyway, and minor decorative stuff can be discarded. If you do have the materials, then use the Repair Dock.

- You also can filter visibility to restore particular blocks inside the ship, as long as you have at least some idea what those blocks may be.

I may see why players might like this button, but I generally oppose new functions, that are suggested to be introduced merely to alleviate very few particular mistakes people do and the consequences that those people are too bored to deal with themselves. When there's a button to solve every self-inflicted issue, people become lazy and don't get to improve their problem-solving skills.

Imo the bad descision here is in the game design, not on my side here tbh. Why am I allowed to restore my full health at the click of a button, but not to restore my ships functionality?

So let me sumarize what you said there:

- A button to repair any single destroyed block on your ship is just fine

- A button to repair all destroyed blocks at once is totally unecessary allthough the only difference to the single block repair is a safe of time and trouble

- one should rather waste ressources for unecessary health gain instead of saving them for better purposes by just repairing blocks

Also I don't think you understood my problem entirely, but you can easily try it out yourself:

If you have a large mid to late game ship and crash into something and loose something like a little antenna or so, while also your ship is at low health (like a quarter or so), it will cost you ridiculous amounts of ressources to fix that antenna. The reason why is that the repair button will simply give your ship full health.

Why would I want that? I don't care about my health, I have shields and I have mechanics who literally do all the work for me.

But according to your post what i should do now is spend 200k Xanion to fix one antenna??? (And yes I know in this particular case I could just use the single block repair, but you get my argument anyways i guess)

Toggling visibility is a good point btw, but unfortunately I does not work on details because those are made out of the same materials most of the time and if some of the insides are damaged you have no way to look at them.

Something that would in fact fix all the issues as well would be the option to filter for destroyed blocks so that only destroyed blocks are shown and you could repair all those with the single block repair function.

To conluce:

All of your points make perfect sense for as long as the player is flying around in a big cube surrounded by armor blocks, but as soon as the ships have a lot of little bits on them, the current mechanics are just cancer.

I personally would rather see the option of ship repair completely reserved for repair docks and have the build mode only let you repair blocks, but that is a very different story and all i am really asking for here is that button...

Toggling visibility is a good point btw, but unfortunately I does not work on details because those are made out of the same materials most of the time and if some of the insides are damaged you have no way to look at them.

Last time I tried this, it didn't work.  I had to push the camera in to the point where I was well clipping into the lost block before it would register and allow me to repair it.  Maybe they've fixed this since, but it was annoying as hell at the time.

Additionally, with larger ships that have a lot of small details, it can be very, very hard to find what's broken, especially if it's tiny.  But that one tiny block still prevents you from doing anything else.

Last time I tried this, it didn't work.  I had to push the camera in to the point where I was well clipping into the lost block before it would register and allow me to repair it.  Maybe they've fixed this since, but it was annoying as hell at the time.

Nope, it still does not work.

Additionally, with larger ships that have a lot of small details, it can be very, very hard to find what's broken, especially if it's tiny.  But that one tiny block still prevents you from doing anything else.

Exactly.

I've had this issue as well.  Perhaps the devs could just change the build menu repair to only replace broken blocks but not do anything with the HP of the ship.  The only way to repair the Hull HP would then be from repair turrets/fighters and repair docks.  That would make repair docks at least somewhat more utilized than currently aside from reconstruction tokens for those playing on those difficulties.

• Like 1

I've had this issue as well.  Perhaps the devs could just change the build menu repair to only replace broken blocks but not do anything with the HP of the ship.  The only way to repair the Hull HP would then be from repair turrets/fighters and repair docks.  That would make repair docks at least somewhat more utilized than currently aside from reconstruction tokens for those playing on those difficulties.

That would also stop a player from boosting around long enough to avoid damage for 30 secs and then fully repair their ship and go straight back into the frey. I think I’d be ok with that.

That would also stop a player from boosting around long enough to avoid damage for 30 secs and then fully repair their ship and go straight back into the frey. I think I’d be ok with that.

Yeah, that’s an interesting idea.