Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

[1.0 to 0.33.6] Stuttering while exploring mass (yellow) sectors

TacticalMaster

Whenever I explore a mass (yellow) sectors, I experience some "stuttering" where the game briefly freezes. This is occuring every nearly every 8 seconds. I believe this is when I was exploring a sector with like over 2000 asteroids.

But if I explore in my drone, then I don't experience these stutterings.

I mean, how insane are the graphics? Do I need a better CPU? The game pretty much eats up a lot of processing here... And the graphics aren't that intense either.

Clientlog: https://pastebin.com/R2VbYUng (expires in 1 month)

Serverlog: https://pastebin.com/r5YLJ4Dh (expires in 1 month)

This also has happened to me, but i think it is not an issue with the number of asteroids in the sector, rather, the background in that specific sector

i had this happening on a sector with around 1200 asteroids but with a VERY bright red/purple-ish background (also a very bright blue one).

but when being in another sector with 2100+ asteroids, no stuttering at all

So, even though they didn't post the release notes on the 1.0 release announcement, apparently there were some in game when you started it up.  One of them was this: "- Fixed some issues with background nebula generation"

Not sure if it would help with this issue or not.

Is there a copy of the 1.0 notes anywhere?

Your right there was not an announcement in the forum about it under news.

Would like to read before.i gt on tonight. But if I have to wait , I have to wait.

Did it have the fog? I know some older graphics cards go full on puke mode when fog gets on the scene.

Thanks!

There was some I think. Some had little fog, some of them were really dense. But I didn't took notice of it if the fog was the cause of this stuttering.

I'll try to keep the fog in mind while I continue to diagnose this problem.

Is there a copy of the 1.0 notes anywhere?

Your right there was not an announcement in the forum about it under news.

Would like to read before.i gt on tonight. But if I have to wait , I have to wait.

They only made the 1.0 announcement over on the Steam forums for some reason, but no patch notes in the actual post. You have to start (and update) the game and look at the patch notes through there. There wasn’t much.

[MAJOR UPDATE] Okay, so I got my other combat ships into an explored yellow sector to clear our some pirates with a claimable asteroid. I just then noticed I hardly got any stutters while piloting my carrier-class ship (with cannons) to take out the pirates. When I went back to my ship that I used for scouting yellow sectors, I just realized *that* ship was the cause of my stuttering.

It's because of the Exotic Object Sensor upgrade I installed on the scout ship. Maybe that is the cause of the stuttering?

Nope, false alarm. It's not the upgrade that's the cause. It's the ship itself causing the problem... And that ship was built by myself.

All my other ships don't cause my game to stutter, but the ship in question does. And I'm no architect here either. What is the cause of the problem here? At this point, I'm completely stumped.

Guess I'll have to specify the title then.

Okay, I think I might have found a breakthrough. I tried to do crazy things to try and prevent reproduction of this bug. Removing armor, technical blocks, even *all* my upgrade modules --- The latter which I did. I jumped into a nearby mass sector to test my naked ship setup to see if this might keep the ship from stuttering the game.

Then I noticed something: The Object Sensor upgrade notification!

And I didn't even have the upgrade on! I remember putting that on my ship just to get the benefit of spotting all hidden collectibles in the entire sector. After that, I would swap between it with my Tractor Beam so it would collect all scrap metal lying around. But when I removed all my upgrades and tested in a nearby mass sector, well bingo. Here we are.

So, the cause IS the Object Sensor itself --- exotic type! Even after removing it, the benefits seem to still linger on the ship after removal. In turn, keeps giving me the notification which is causing the stuttering bug.

Unfortunately, unless this stuck (and extra) upgrade is fixed, I can't be sure if the exotic Object Sensor and its notification is truly the cause of the stuttering. But the devs could try two birds with one stone in the process.

I'm going to make a new bug report post concerning this, since this thread is already going everywhere. Hopefully this is the *last* major discovery that won't turn out to be another false hope.

• Like 1

If it is stacking, then that likely is the stutter and thus yes, putting it back on would worsen it (though likely not by immediately perceptible amounts).  And if that is the issue, then yes, deleting the ship and making a new one would solve it (until you’ve added and removed the upgrade enough times again to cause enough stacking for lag to appear).