Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Issues with Salvage Operations in Scrapyards

DivineEvil

Currently, AI-controlled ships ordered to salvage will ignore non-material-bearing wreckage fragments. In practice that leads to them leaving a large cluster of unrecovered blocks remaining from the original ship wreckage. Over time this results in thousands upon thousands of individual entities, each consisting of one or two tiny blocks and producing their own spark particles. The amount of those entities leads to massive server load upon entering the sector, and can even cause it to stop functioning, freezing and ultimately shutdown (including single-player).

There should be some solution to that issue introduced for the game release to keep Scrapyards viable and prevent them from causing grief. Either AI ships should salvage absolutely everything as base behavior, or there should be some algorithm for quick despawn of barren scraps, that would prevent them from accumulating in Scrapyard sectors. Any action will be very appreciated. Thank you)

I agree with this.  I've noticed that when I clean up the battlefield my salvaging lasers and fighters don't autotarget these tiny wreck fragments that break off from the main vessel.  The only way to salvage them is to very monotonously force your auto targeting turrets or fighters to "attack this target" on the small pieces that break off.  For me its more of an annoyance OCD-wise but its also an issue as you said with scrapyards and all the tiny little blocks having to be rendered. 

Also, its the same with asteroid blocks.  If you cut an asteroid right down the middle or "in half" one side will remain the real asteroid, while the other will be just like the little fragments of wreckage that break off and won't be auto-targeted.  A real pain when you are trying to strip mine a system.

Isn’t there a setting in the ‘server.ini’ file that despawns these scraps? Find the file and adjust this value from 900 to 200 (seconds) or so. Wiki says it’s for wreckages made of 15 blocks or less.

SmallWreckageDespawnTime

There is also BigWreckageDespawnTime

Isn’t there a setting in the ‘server.ini’ file that despawns these scraps? Find the file and adjust this value from 900 to 200 (seconds) or so. Wiki says it’s for wreckages made of 15 blocks or less.

SmallWreckageDespawnTime

There is also BigWreckageDespawnTime

Problem with it going by block count is that they could be huge blocks....

I'd rather have the behavior where they all get salvaged, or if their material value is low enough not to yield anything anyway, then they immediately despawn.

I agree with this.  I've noticed that when I clean up the battlefield my salvaging lasers and fighters don't autotarget these tiny wreck fragments that break off from the main vessel.  The only way to salvage them is to very monotonously force your auto targeting turrets or fighters to "attack this target" on the small pieces that break off.  For me its more of an annoyance OCD-wise but its also an issue as you said with scrapyards and all the tiny little blocks having to be rendered. 

Also, its the same with asteroid blocks.  If you cut an asteroid right down the middle or "in half" one side will remain the real asteroid, while the other will be just like the little fragments of wreckage that break off and won't be auto-targeted.  A real pain when you are trying to strip mine a system.

I have to say, though, unless they've changed something in the past couple weeks or so of updates, auto targeting lasers on my ships have always still gone after even the tiny pieces.  It's only fighters and AI controlled ships that I've seen ignore them.  (Oh, and they always ignore my own wrecks, even large pieces/whole ships.)

Yes, Independent Targeting turrets do target anything in their arc of fire, but when attached to AI vessel they simply have no time to clear out the fragments as AI vessel quickly moves on considering its work done.

And yes, there's a config setting for objects to despawn. The issue is that it's not set up by default to make salvaging work cleanly, and the game on release should not force anyone to manually adjust the config to do so. If changing the server config variable can settle down the issue, then it has to be set to be that from the start.