Sub Galaxy (follow on content?)

pepsijoe

Suggestion

First, love the game.  It is a great combination of Elite Dangerous and Eve Online with a smaller sandbox feel...  Kudos to your team for a great development.  My thought is that after you fight (and win) against the Wormhole Guardian, game advancement simply ceases.  My idea could be implemented a few different ways.  1. only after beating the guardian can a person go to the next difficulty.  This would provide a longer game, slowly building to the "Insane" difficulty. 

2. after the guardian is destroyed, the player gets sucked into another galaxy with their current ship, but in the new galaxy, Avorion becomes the weakest material--akin to being Iron.  However, with the title of the game already set, this might be difficult. 

3. you could introduce more materials (some sort of Crystal) for example, allowing the construction of complex modules used for another play through.

4. all factions within the current galaxy become instant enemies, with no chance of alliance...and you have to fight your way out (or take over the galaxy entirely).

5. --or-- a combination of these, where Avorion is removed from the current galaxy, additional materials are added, and after the wormhole guardian, you are transported to another galaxy (in one of the absolute corners i.e., [-500, -500]) still on the quest for the mystical material.  In the new Galaxy there are a far greater number of voids, and far fewer wormholes, meaning that finding a route to the center is more challenging.  I would still like to see more materials that specialize in different ways....but that is another can of worms. 

Thanks for your hard work!

joe-

8 answers to this suggestion

An interesting Idea for sure.  Might be hard to do in a multiplayer setting though.  The game would have to run several different galaxies at once which would not be very performance friendly.  It would also be kind of a bummer if you set up a trading empire and loose it all when you go to the next area.  I love the idea of a boss unlocking more content though. 

TESL4-

You make a good point about the trading empire--perhaps you could jump back and forth between the two?  Since there is already an "issue" about keeping sectors "alive" in a normal game, jumping between the galaxies wouldn't be much different. 

As for the multiplayer, I don't think this would be an issue either.  Given any quadrant in space, the game is only rendering that area at a time.  Should be no different than it is currently, except if player 1 was in [-500,-500] in galaxy 1, and player 2 was in [-500,-500] in galaxy 2 (potentially overlapping) this would require the game to "display" two quadrants at the same time...but when players split and go in different directions to mine, it is already doing that.  I know I am making this sound SUPER EASY, and I know it isn't. 

Perhaps adding a "Z" direction in the galaxy as it is would offer more content...I just wouldn't know how to display it on the map.

1. only after beating the guardian can a person go to the next difficulty.  This would provide a longer game, slowly building to the "Insane" difficulty.

Excellent idea!

But there is so much space to improve!

Lets remove gates from starting system. And the first quest for a player would be to mine 1e6 iron to construct a gate. With a single petty iron mining laser.

We can even repeat that at all material boundaries, or even sector boundaries if game will not be long enough!

you could introduce more materials

Yeah, very robust and time-proven solution to gametime expansion - add more and more new currencies. Loved by all online gamers. Now in single/small multiplayer games.

all factions within the current galaxy become instant enemies, with no chance of alliance...and you have to fight your way out (or take over the galaxy entirely)

So, basically, exit to drone and queue jumps for wherever you need to be?

/s, I guess?

Now to be constructive.

There is quite simple solution to add replayability - challenging achievements.

- Have no more than one ship at any time

- Never use a mining/salvaging laser/fighter

- Never build a turret at a factory

- Never buy a system upgrade/turret

etc.

Now to be constructive.

There is quite simple solution to add replayability - challenging achievements.

- Have no more than one ship at any time

- Never use a mining/salvaging laser/fighter

- Never build a turret at a factory

- Never buy a system upgrade/turret

etc.

Perhaps, but some don't care about achievements so would have no affect on replayability for them.

TESL4-

You make a good point about the trading empire--perhaps you could jump back and forth between the two?  Since there is already an "issue" about keeping sectors "alive" in a normal game, jumping between the galaxies wouldn't be much different. 

As for the multiplayer, I don't think this would be an issue either.  Given any quadrant in space, the game is only rendering that area at a time.  Should be no different than it is currently, except if player 1 was in [-500,-500] in galaxy 1, and player 2 was in [-500,-500] in galaxy 2 (potentially overlapping) this would require the game to "display" two quadrants at the same time...but when players split and go in different directions to mine, it is already doing that.  I know I am making this sound SUPER EASY, and I know it isn't. 

Perhaps adding a "Z" direction in the galaxy as it is would offer more content...I just wouldn't know how to display it on the map.

Hmm the idea of a Z direction is interesting.  Perhaps add a material which takes avorion's place on the material list, and once you defeat the WH guardian you can go to a different "Z" dimension which could be the alien's "home systems" and there is nothing but the upgrade Avoion in those systems.  It will be incredibly hard to mine because the alien "home systems" will be heavily defended by fleets and defensive stations. 

Its a cool concept, but idk if it will be implemented with the 1.0 release.  Maybe one of the DLCs that they decide to release?