server.ini & worker threads

1stHeretic

I've read over several threads indicating resolutions to Server related issues by increasing the # of threads within the server.ini file based upon the CPU hardware concurrency

In our case, we have a hosted server in which it is not truly a dedicated server, but instead many aspects are shared & about once every 1-2 hours the server will hang/freeze at which point, although we can "fly" around, nothing really appears to be happening.

-- We can't mine.

-- Cannot go through gates/wormholes

-- Build menu will not allow placement of blocks

-- etc...

It when this happens we can tell the issue takes place & we reset the server & rejoin.

Plan:

I can UPGRADE our hosted server from Shared CPU to total of 2 (two) Dedicated Threads.

If I take that option, knowing that I would only be guaranteed 2 dedicated threads, how much should I increase those 3 settings? My concern is that if I over subscribe (as a hypothetical example WorkerThreads=4), then am I further destabilizing the server because I've configured it to believe it has full access to 4, but it in no way does?

What should my settings be if I have only 2 dedicated threads as all the examples I have seen take into account 4 Core CPU with Hyperthreading (hardware concurrency Eight) or 8 Core CPU without Hyperthreading (again hardware concurrency Eight) etc...

Would it look like this and if so, have i really helped much to warrant the extra $26, in addition to the base cost?

workerThreads=2

generatorThreads=2

scriptBackgroundThreads=2

• 2 months later...

In my experience the problem stems from a combination between the ratio between

workerThreads

and

generatorThreads/scriptBackgroundThreads

. They seem to recommend a 4:1 or 3:1 ratio and they don't seem to recommend anything above 3 or 4 generatorThreads even with a ton of cores.