Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Update 0.31.1 - Enemy Variations, Damage Types & Hyperspace

koonschi

• Boxelware Team

Patch 0.31.1

Date: February 5th, 2020

Gameplay

• Improved pirate dialogues
  • Reduced time between entering a yellow-blip sector and being talked to by waiting pirates
  • A selection of basic upgrades is now always available at Equipment Docks
  • Boss Fidget is now only stunned by Electric damage (from before all weapons with Energy damage)

Hyperspace Rework

• Added coloring of Hyperspace Engine UI depending on which kind of buff or debuff is currently active
  • Added icons telling players which (de)buffs are currently active

Hyperspace Rework Rework

"These changes are in relation to the Hyperspace Rework as it was active on the beta branch. Some of them won't be relevant for you if you didn't play on the beta branch. We listened to your feedback and adjusted some things."

• Hyperspace cooldown is no longer static
  • Hyperspace cooldown over 3x as quickly when jumping into an empty sector
  • While enemies are attacking, Hyperspace Engine is being distorted and can only recharge with 25% speed
  • Hyperspace Engine must only recharge based on the jump distance relative to the max distance, but always for at least 50%
    • Doing a jump of 15 sectors with a 20 sector range will only drain your engine for 75% instead of 100%
    • Doing a jump of 2 sectors with a 20 sector range will still drain your engine for 50%

Balancing

"Several of these changes are in relation to the last beta patch and might not be relevant for you if you didn't play on the beta branch."

• Reduced amount of waves in enemy encounters for outer sectors
  • Reduced ratios of high fire rate and high damage specialty bonuses
  • Reduced bonus damage for plasma weapons against shields

Client

• Added an option to enable adaptive VSync, can be set while the game is running
  • Added blinking to energy bars for when energy is low or energy usage is high
  • Added tooltips for Hyperspace and Energy UI bars
  • Added info about resistances and weaknesses of enemies to bottom-right HUD display
  • Improved tooltips of enemy variation damage types
  • Improved Singleplayer Window and added more information about saved galaxies

Bugfixes

• Fixed a very prominent server hang
  • Fixed an issue where hyperspace cooldown could become very large
  • Fixed several issues with wave encounters
  • Fixed several issues in missions
  • Fixed an issue where "Immune" would be shown too often
  • Fixed a crash in shop UI
  • Fixed an issue where some bulletin missions weren't working
  • Fixed a crash if player loses torpedo launcher during torpedo tutorial
  • Fixed a bug where electric weapons could damage stone

Glad to see the information on damage types/resists will be shown to some degree! 

The hyperspace rework rework looks great too!  Be careful exploring unknown sectors in a weak ship!  You will have to kite awhile!

Keep up the good work!  Optimizations and bug fixes are always a good thing!

Great job!

I love the changes :)

I've tested out the new dmg types and noticed that torpedoes do orange (physical) damage to enemies. I've shot plasma and ion torpedoes, which are good against shields, on them and they didn't do a lot. I've also shot one pirate with a orange shield which reduced the amount of dmg of 100k ion-torpedoes to nearly 0..

Maybe the dmg types haven't been applied to torpedoes and Fighters yet? Haven't seen any hints on them, too?

To clarify impenetrable as impenetrable, and NOT invulnerable correct?

Part of the charm of a good game is tactics approaches etc, sure as they were, railguns we're king, but all weapons had a varying degrees of effectiveness save for certain circumstances like cannons struggling to hit further targets and balance was somewhat dependant on capability.

And while I am confident  this not what what you are doing, and I apologize for saying this before trying the update myself as it is uncharacteristic of me, but due to the criticality of this from my perspective: Please do not turn this into another Rock, Paper, Scissors game where the winner is determined because he happens to have his shield invulnerable to the damage type the other is using.

Combined arms is of course encouraged and hopefully that is the goal but I am hoping you didn't mean invulnerable to damage types.

Some resistance and vulnerability is awesome, but victory determination via Rock Paper Scissors combat and called "balance" hurts my brain.

EDIT: Sorry had a soap box moment, you guys have done nothing but make this game better with every release, was just worried when I read that bit. Will give it a go this weekend!

To clarify impenetrable as impenetrable, and NOT invulnerable correct?

Part of the charm of a good game is tactics approaches etc, sure as they were, railguns we're king, but all weapons had a varying degrees of effectiveness save for certain circumstances like cannons struggling to hit further targets and balance was somewhat dependant on capability.

And while I am confident  this not what what you are doing, and I apologize for saying this before trying the update myself as it is uncharacteristic of me, but due to the criticality of this from my perspective: Please do not turn this into another Rock, Paper, Scissors game where the winner is determined because he happens to have his shield invulnerable to the damage type the other is using.

Combined arms is of course encouraged and hopefully that is the goal but I am hoping you didn't mean invulnerable to damage types.

Some resistance and vulnerability is awesome, but victory determination via Rock Paper Scissors combat and called "balance" hurts my brain.

EDIT: Sorry had a soap box moment, you guys have done nothing but make this game better with every release, was just worried when I read that bit. Will give it a go this weekend!

From what I have experienced in my brief playtime, nothing has been invulerable to my damage so far.  I could just be lucky, though.  I agree that nothing should be "invulnerable", but rather be able to have very high resists to where you would have to have overwhelming damage or enough tank and time to break it. 

Off topic suggestion:

I'd love to see some sort of multipurpose hull/shield resistance system and hull/shield repair/booster block or system incorperated (I know its starting to sound like EVE).  I do enjoy the possiblity of having a more "active tank" approach instead of heaps of HP vs heaps of HP.  There would of course have to be some serious consideration put into balance to ensure that large ships don't become truely unkillable.  IMO an active tank would also really help smaller ships be able to fight using gurilla warfare tactics instead of getting a couple of attack runs in then having to bail from the system completely because they are too damaged. 

Thanks for response, glad to see no invulnerability!

Completely disagree with an active tank though. No one is wrong here, I just simply would be worried about active tank in an open ended construction game. I feel it will become a game of thresholds, and becomes rather difficult to balance. Instead of "slap more shields on it", it would be "slap more resistance and regen" and then AI would have to do a smidge more than your Regen, and then would only be doing the difference in damage from your tank and their total damage.

Starmade struggled with this for a long time as well. -though without resistances even.  Do not remember what happened in the end as I stopped playing it a long time ago.

IMOP the only way this would be  interesting is if it was 100% reliant on reserved energy and your energy Regen went to zero soon as you took the first hit, and so your energy served as a additional "buffer".

For shields rapid replenishment and some form of hardening at smaller percentage levels would make sense, but again with resistance and Regen your effective tank and HP healed start skyrocketing when you talk percentages of larger numbers. For Hull only only hardening, rapid Regen Hull really shouldn't be a thing ever.  Unless lore deems it so. This of course is my opinion so naturally it probably stinks to some and others will think differently.

There is a lot of balancing to be done as is, I feel this would be a crazy level of complexity added to an open ended game.

Part my opinion of this also stems from the Devs shying away from CAPs on thing like damage, shields, manueverabilty etc. Which is fine it's the choice made for the game, but you apply that to ressistances, amd active tanking, and nigh invulnerable ships are possible.

but I am hoping you didn't mean invulnerable to damage types.

Resistance values are affected by difficulty. And on `insane` there are ships that completely invulnerable to specific damage type (not sure if it is bug or intended behavior)

Completely disagree with an active tank though. No one is wrong here, I just simply would be worried about active tank in an open ended construction game. I feel it will become a game of thresholds, and becomes rather difficult to balance. Instead of "slap more shields on it", it would be "slap more resistance and regen" and then AI would have to do a smidge more than your Regen, and then would only be doing the difference in damage from your tank and their total damage.

Starmade struggled with this for a long time as well. -though without resistances even.  Do not remember what happened in the end as I stopped playing it a long time ago.

IMOP the only way this would be  interesting is if it was 100% reliant on reserved energy and your energy Regen went to zero soon as you took the first hit, and so your energy served as a additional "buffer".

For shields rapid replenishment and some form of hardening at smaller percentage levels would make sense, but again with resistance and Regen your effective tank and HP healed start skyrocketing when you talk percentages of larger numbers. For Hull only only hardening, rapid Regen Hull really shouldn't be a thing ever.  Unless lore deems it so. This of course is my opinion so naturally it probably stinks to some and others will think differently.

There is a lot of balancing to be done as is, I feel this would be a crazy level of complexity added to an open ended game.

Part my opinion of this also stems from the Devs shying away from CAPs on thing like damage, shields, manueverabilty etc. Which is fine it's the choice made for the game, but you apply that to ressistances, amd active tanking, and nigh invulnerable ships are possible.

Well, Just because the active tank hasn't been done right in previous games, doesn't mean it isn't possible here.  It is totally possible to balance out and make work with this game, it would just take a lot of investment in balancing like you said.  I made a post recently in the suggestions which goes over this in detail and how it would work potentially.  The main premise being when you put on an active tank system, you loose a large portion of total HP.  This makes it a risky option as it would only really be good for smaller skirmishes.  Losing lets say 70% of total shield or hull HP just to gain a lets say 25% regen per miniute would mean that that ship could easily be overwhelmed by fire from a medium to large fleet, with the regen not being able to keep up.  Even if you have an equal sized fleet of ships all with active tanks, they would still be overwhelmed and die much faster than the other more bulky fleets.  The idea is an active tank would be good for smaller scale engagements, exploration, blokade running, ect.

I won't carry on here though as that is a post for a different topic.