Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

New damage types and reload of weapons

deep

-New  damage types

Resistance and weak are very interesting elements.

In particular, we can reduce the damage by making the weakness value "-".

The potential of an armor tank and a hull tank is interesting.

The new damage type seems to make a unique weapon and system upgrade.

We're starting to make some Mods.

-Problems with recharging turrets and differences in turrets

There is an old problem when making new weapons.

I think the most effective weapon is a rail gun.

But lasers of the same accuracy are totally useless.

Why?

I think that reloading of energy recharge is a problem.

The recharge type fires before it is completely filled (Probably 30%).

This is a fatal problem for lasers.

The automatic shooting mode and the NPC captain do a short incomplete shooting.

The NPC of the player fleet cannot use laser weapons effectively.

And so is the autonomous firing turret.

I have tried to improve with MOD.

But we couldn't solve the problem of attacking with low battery charge.

(ex)

Recharge time 10 seconds

Shooting time: 10 seconds

This Automatic Turret(and NPC) Spams Lasers With 30% Battery

So it's a strange turret that shoots a laser for 3 seconds and recharges it for 3 seconds.

The laser looks thin and weak.

Why don't you make the recharge of the energy charging type the same as the overheat type?

Stop the attack until battery charge reaches 100%.

I think this is stable.

I posted this on a bug report.

hpbounces, weaknessBonus, resistanceBonus needs to be added to status entries.

It is very important to see this sub-status (For checking for errors)

This is really a glitch, resistance bonus by weaknessBonus of  negative value"-".

Wouldn't the "hardnessbonus" for Hull like resistanceBonus be better?

I think the most effective weapon is a rail gun.

It is not. Most effective is combination of Lightning guns with plasma damage (5x damage on shield) and high penetration railguns with am damage (up to 7-8x on hull if full penetration utilized). For short range, obviously PC comes close, but brawlers in this type of game are only good against stationary/lone targets (you can't damage while you are closing in)

If we exclude combinations, then LG(plasma) > RG(am) > RG(am with penetration - because penetration equals 75% less damage if only one block or shield is damaged)

I think that reloading of energy recharge is a problem.

It is not. Cooling/charging type does not matter for sustained fire. As it does not matter whether you fire in short or long bursts. If given gun generates 1 heat  (drains 1 energy) per second of firing and cools/restores  0.3 heat/energy per second, then in 1 minute of battle round it will cool/generate 18 heat/energy which is enough for 18 seconds of fire. Whether you fire 6 times 3 seconds each or 18 times 1 second each - does not matter.

Though low shooting/recharging ratio of lasers is certainly weights them down

That said

But lasers of the same accuracy are totally useless.

Agree.

It's not a damage per second or damage per minute problem.

This is due to the elimination of energy consumption type turrets.

(I don't want him back.)

Current recharge type is a substitute.

It looks like an unfinished system for an energy turret.

Vanilla recharging is very wasteful.

This creates a problem.

That's Vanilla's recharge time.

This is especially true for Force Turret's recharge and shooting times.

All recharging turrets have long recharge times and short shooting times.

These are turrets with 30% very low shooting time and 30% very long charge time.

What about humans?

If you use the same 30%, humans will use 100% to 70%.

People use up 100% when they need it.

People make complex decisions by determining the target HP.

Battlefield situation, number of enemies, DPS/DPM .... lots

But we understand that's hard for simple AI.

• 3 weeks later...

同感, Many weapons fire before being fully cooled, this problem also occurs with Launchers  and bolters. Lasers are by far the most egregious offender though, It is also difficult to find lasers with competitive range and damage out-put Finding a .5 laser turret with over 1000 dps in uncommon and finding one with near 10 range is quite scarce, but finding a over 1000 dps near range 10 laser is most rare. To see Lasers have a mechanism like overheating is one solution, another is using ship battery as power source. this could be a double edge sword if enough lasers were used as it could deplete power banks. Alternatively you could poise power to energy drain as a balance system and have more potent lasers.

Also I am a big fan of your Designs Deep, I make ships from 銀河英雄伝説 and your work helped to inspire me. I also use your Walkurie model.

There shouldn't actually be an issue with being able to fire a weapon before it is fully cooled/recharged.  They are continuously cooling/charging, so regardless if you wait the extra time until you can do a full round of shooting or only 75%, the net dps is still going to even out to the same.  That's not really where the problem with the weapon dps is.

Part of the reason you have such a hard time finding a laser near 10k range is because their max is actually 7.5k (it's random from 4.5k to 7.5k).  Larger sized weapons get an extra 15% per used slot over 1.  There's also the High Range Specialty that has a % chance of being applied (4% Common, 24% Uncommon, 44% Rare, etc to 104% Legendary), but there's a random chance of its not "making the cut" if for some reason the RNG engine adds more specialties to the weapon than what its rarity allows (Common/Uncommon: 1, Rare/Exceptional 2, Exotic/Legendary: 3.  Petty cannot get specialties).  But if it does make it on, then Common will only add 10%, Uncommon is random between 10% and 16%, Rare is random between 10% and 22%, etc up to Legendary being random between 10% and 40%.

As for DPS, it's kind of in the same boat.  Actual max base DPS at the core is just over 233.  Then you have a random variation factor that multiplies the base damage by 0.8 to 1.2, rarity further multiplies it by 0.95 to 1.25 (Petty to Legendary, 0.05 increments), then energy charging comes in which will decrease the dps (randomized shooting time between 16 and 24 secs, independently randomized recharge time between 24 and 36 secs, equates to worse case of 30% of original dps to best case of 50% of original dps).  Now you can factor in size (damage x used slots x 3 if coaxial) and the High Damage Specialty (chance of being applied is 5% at Common, 30% at Uncommon, 55% at Rare, etc up to 130% at Legendary, then the random chance of its being cut if there are too many specialties for its rarity, and then the actual bonus is 30% at Common, random 30%-54% at Uncommon, random 30%-78% Rare, etc up to random 30%-150% at Legendary).  Lasers also have a 10% chance at Plasma damage type, which can give a shield damage bonus of x1.8 with worst RNG roll at Petty to x3.15 with best RNG roll at Legendary (RNG roll is between +0 and +0.15 to the value).

So really, not taking Plasma damage type into account, lasers' dps can range anywhere from 22.8% to 187.5% of base dps at size 0.5.  With dps at the core capping at roughly 233, this means that sized 0.5 weapons can only really see a dps range of 53-437.  Size 1.0 makes that 45.6%-375% (dps 106-874), size 1.5 is 68.4%-562.5% (159-1311), size 2.0 is 91.2%-750% (212-1748), and size 3.5 (it skips 2.5 and 3.0) as a coaxial is 410.4%-3375% (956-7864).  If it happens to receive the Independent Targeting specialty, this of course cuts it by 50%, and a coaxial has a chance of getting this as well, which results in its being converted to a regular turret (losing the x3 damage bonus of coaxial) and still gets the 50% nerf, so a sized 3.5 auto turret would see identical damage numbers as a sized 1.5 turret....

(It should be noted that the Raw DPS number on the card for the turrets does not take cool down/recharge into consideration.)

Oh, and that reminds me, I completely forgot to take the Less Energy Consumption Specialty into account!  It decreases recharge time by a factor of 0.9 to 0.3 (at Legendary).  So if this specialty gets applied, this modifies my earlier calculation on shooting & recharge time causing it to have 50% of dps at best to being 76.9% of dps at best.  This modifies the before numbers to more like below:

Size	Min %	Min DPS	Max %	Max DPS	
0.5	22.8%	53.2	288.4%	672.6	
1.0	45.6%	106.4	576.8%	1345.2	
1.5	68.4%	159.5	865.1%	2017.8	
2.0	91.2%	212.7	1153.5%	2690.5	
3.5	410.4%	957.2	5190.8%	12107.0	(coaxial)

But remember, those numbers require that you jump through the RNG hoops of best quality weapon, and getting all 3 specialties at max value that can increase the dps.  So the chances of actually getting a weapon that good are pretty poor.

All turrets are pretty much calculated in the same manor.  The major things affecting their dps from each other are different shooting time to cool down/recharge times, different chances for specialties being applied (and different lists of possible specialties), and then some weapons have different things applied that others don't (cannons and rockets explode, railguns penetrate multiple blocks, pulse cannons penetrate shields (though receive a 25% damage nerf to compensate), and other obvious things like that.  Not so obvious is that Bolters and Pulse Cannons are the only weapons to have their dps recalculated after cool downs are applied to nullify their effect.  Notes from the devs site that this was done for these two weapons due to them not receiving other damage boosts like other weapons (I don't thing this holds true anymore).

Fire rates do not effect dps unless they have the High Fire Rate Specialty applied.  During generation, the weapon fire delay (inverse of fire rate) is randomized, then the sector dps is multiplied by this value to get damage.  This effectively means that, if everything else is the same, all turrets would have the same dps regardless of their rates of fire.

Wow... long post.  Sorry.  I think, though, that part of what reduces a laser's dps potential is the shooting to recharge time ratios.  But all that said, even if the laser didn't have a recharge cycle (ie, could fire continuously like mining lasers), you'd still be looking at an absolute best dps of 874.7 for a sized 0.5 laser weapon found at the core.  All other weapons would be the same if it weren't for the fact that they can potentially get other things (ie, chaingun can get High Fire Rate).

But remember, too... lasers have 100% accuracy with instant travel time.  So sure, something like the chaingun can get better dps, but it has a shorter range potential and has a slower projectile that you need to lead.  Bolters are only 0.5k longer in range potential, but do get that weird damage balancing thing done to them after cool down is applied.  I think that should be removed for them (and Pulse Cannons).

Edit: Some wording/grammer so a couple sections read better and more as originally intended.

I would prefer to have three armament behavior models:

- Direct Control: Dedicated to coaxial weapons and rare turrets further into progression and reflect the current default model. You have to operate them yourself, and AI ships should have behavior to allow their deliberate use over any other weapons (i.e. keep distance strafing and fire at will). Coaxial weapons should be available from the very start. Range, damage, recoil and power demand modifiers apply as usual.

- Manual Targeting: Work as IT turrets, but only operate against the currently selected target (when valid for the given turret type). I.e. if you have MT turreted weapons active, they will track and fire into the hostile target you've selected and nothing else.

- Independent Targeting: Current version, automatically pick any valid targets in range. 20% penalty on damage and range, 20% increase to energy drain.