Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Beta Branch Patch 0.31 - Damage Type Rework & Enemy Variations

Schiebi

Beta Branch Patch 0.31 - Damage Type Rework & Enemy Variations

Date: January 22nd, 2020

Beta Branch Note: These changes are currently available on the beta branch. The beta branch is for testing experimental changes and for finding and fixing errors.

This is how you get access to the beta branch (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK):

Right-Click on Avorion in your Steam list, Properties -> Betas -> Select branch 'beta'.

Damage Type Rework

“We reworked how shields and hulls react to fire from enemies. They now have special strengths and weaknesses, which make the use of different weapons more important.”

• Added new damage types
    • Physical
    • Energy
    • AntiMatter
    • Electric
    • Plasma
    • Fragments

[*]Turrets now deal damage according to their damage type

[*]Added new upgrades

• Shield Ionizer make your shield impenetrable for one damage type
    • Hull Polarizer make your ship more durable but you also get more damage from one damage type

[*]Weapon buffs are less random now and more related to the weapon type

[*]Reduced the amount of possible specializations for turrets

[*]Added new hull effect to show the type of Hull Polarizer

[*]Added new colors to shields to show the type of Shield Ionizer

[*]Damage numbers now use the color of the damage type they inflict

Enemy Variations & Specializations

“Not only the players benefit from the new improved shields and hulls, but also the enemies get a fair share of improvements.”

• Added new badass variations for enemies
    • Badasses do more damage and have more HP
    • There are three types of badasses

[*]Enemies may also use Shield Ionizers or Hull Polarizers

Hyperspace Rework

“To improve the speed in which the galaxy may be discovered, we decreased the time spent in sectors while recharging the hyperspace engine.”

• Reduced the time needed to recharge hyperspace engine
  • Recharge time of hyperspace engine now depends on the sector
    • In an empty sector, the recharge time is 10s
    • In an not empty sector, the recharge time is 30s
    • If attacked by enemies, the recharge time is at least 30s but not longer than 120s

[*]Reduced cooldown reduction for upgrades

[*]Hyperspace upgrade now has a maximum cooldown reduction of 35%

[*]XSTN-K V artifact (The Four) has no cooldown reduction anymore

[*]XSTN-K VIII artifact (Bottan) now has a cooldown reduction of 50%

Special Offers

“Hey you, wanna see my new special offers?”

• Every shop has special offers available now
  • Special offers are 30% cheaper
  • Special offers change over time and only have limited amount available

New Enemy Spawning Mechanic

“We added a new spawning mechanic for enemies. They have different scenarios why they are in a sector and warn the player before attacking.”

• Added new mechanic to spawn enemies
  • Added different scenarios for enemy encounters
  • Enemies want you to leave before they attack
  • Enemies call reinforcements to fight you

Scripting API

• Added new spawnutility.lua to add variations and specializations to enemies
  • Added a max durability factor for shields
  • Added a factor to scale up a ship's durability
  • Added DurabilityComponent
  • Changed turretgenerator.lua and weapongenerator.lua to use new damage types
  • Changed handling of weapon specialties in turretgenerator.lua and weapongenerator.lua
    • Adjusted railgun mod example to new turretgenerator.lua

[*]Added get-set property shield resistance

[*]Old damage type is now split to damage type and damage source

[*]Added new waveutility.lua to make wave encounters

:o

Way to make me even more excited to go home tonight.  I'm loving the idea of having what sounds like official damage types, and polarizers/ionizers as well as the new AI and combat mechanics.

A few questions:

Will there be different types of polarizers/ionizers based on the new damage types; and is it possible to "stack" damage polarizers/ionizers which would cover holes made by each other?

Have any of the weapon changes affected the projectile speed such as missile velocity and cannon velocity? 

Is the shrapnel damage type just for flack PD and possibly torpedos, or will there be chainguns/bolters/cannons that do that damage type as well?

Will different blocks have different resistance types?  Such as armor being very overall resistant, hull being average, and shield/generator/thruster blocks being squishy?

I suppose most of my questions will be answered when playing, but this will be burning a hole in my brain for the rest of the day lol.

special offers text

./data/scripts/lib/shop.lua

Prefix for Bad * ss ships' names

These seem to trigger all ship name errors.

New Damage Type

I will post a screenshot on the beta branch thread bug report slet.

Please check it.

I don't like the changes to the Hyperspace cooldown because they make no sense. Why does being in an empty sector make your Hyperspace engine cooldown faster? Where is the science or logic behind that? Maybe instead of 10s for empty sector, and 30s for not empty sector, just make it 20s for all sectors.

Also still very disappointed we still have no way to blueprint/copy/clone turrets. :'(

Hi Vis,

Also still very disappointed we still have no way to blueprint/copy/clone turrets. :'(

you didn't read the latest announcement on Steam yet? They are going to rebalance stuff before the final release, it would be wrong to give you the ability to clone OP-Turrets and other gear...

Hi Vis,

you didn't read the latest announcement on Steam yet? They are going to rebalance stuff before the final release, it would be wrong to give you the ability to clone OP-Turrets and other gear...

Why the hell do they not have that information here?

Hi Vis,

I've known that the balance is bad, but I don't think I realized just how bad until I started pawing through the code recently.

I've only covered through Bolters at this point and the dps differences are staggering.  From base/neutral of any given tech level, the dps can range anywhere from x0.4 (base dmg variation of x0.8 with Petty rarity (factor of x0.5) and no specialties) all the way up to over x166 (base dmg variation of x1.2 with legendary rarity (factor of x3.5), and specialties of high damage (up to x4.3), high rate of fire (up to x2.3), and high shooting time (up to x4)... don't want to know what burst fire would do, but it'd have to replace one of the other three as legendary can only have three specialties, not counting weapon type requirements, which bolters have none).

And that's not factoring in the antimatter hull damage multiplier.  That ranges from x1.3 to x2.54, but obviously would only apply once shields are down.  So, against an unshielded target, we're now talking x0.52 to x422 damage variations.

This means that, against a shielded target, the best possible bolter in game of a given tech level is roughly 415 times more powerful than the weakest bolter of the same tech level.  Against an unshielded target, the difference almost doubles to over 811 times.

:o

Edit: Oh, and that’s also with the comparison assuming same size for the turret.

I don't like the changes to the Hyperspace cooldown because they make no sense. Why does being in an empty sector make your Hyperspace engine cooldown faster? Where is the science or logic behind that? Maybe instead of 10s for empty sector, and 30s for not empty sector, just make it 20s for all sectors.

Aw, man. I was thinking the answers were obvious! No one wants to spend two minutes in an EMPTY sector with their capital ship—nothing to do. That’s why no one has to wait anymore if there is literally nothing. The science: you’re skipping the boring time wasted.

30-120 seconds for a non-empty sector because you could make a mistake and need to fight. They don’t want you to escape a fight. There exists a range because it sounds like your ship’s mass-to-hyperspace-blocks ratio still matters.

Aw, man. I was thinking the answers were obvious! No one wants to spend two minutes in an EMPTY sector with their capital ship—nothing to do. That’s why no one has to wait anymore if there is literally nothing. The science: you’re skipping the boring time wasted.

30-120 seconds for a non-empty sector because you could make a mistake and need to fight. They don’t want you to escape a fight. There exists a range because it sounds like your ship’s mass-to-hyperspace-blocks ratio still matters.

I find this change good too,  Hate sitting in empty sectors for a long time when I'm just trying to get a boss to spawn.  I hope they add hyperspace blockers eventually though for PVP purposes... maybe PVE eventually too where you have to stop Valuable NPC ships from fleeing.

This was (part of) the comment I left on the news post of this update on the Steam forums:

I do like that recharge is faster, but still think that larger ships should take longer. Small ships need a purpose, too. XD

IMO, recharge time for a smaller, 3-5 slot ship should be about 10-15 secs, regardless of what's in the sector. Larger ships should take longer to recharge. Then, when you go to actually do the jump calculations, that's where what's in the sector (both origin and destination) comes into play and can potentially change how long it takes to calculate.