Alternate system for making non-RNG custom turrets

Weylin

Suggestion

The looks, attributes, and capabilities of a turret are very important when you're working on a specific ship where the weapons are very much a core part of its design. The current system we have now is so RNG heavy and procedurally generated that it makes it difficult if not impossible to make a coherent design.

Many people are fine with this and even prefer it, but I like to have the option of total customization without some random seed mucking it up.

- Turrets would be designed like a separate ship or an extension of yours, built out of blocks.

- 3 parts: Base, Housing, and Cannon. A 2 part variant would also be available and have a static Base and a Cannon that can move around freely.

- Pivot and emitter points would be assigned as part of turret design. Turrets could be shared on the workshop.

- Every turret you create would add a new entry into your ship management screen with several empty module slots.

- In the ship turret management screen, you will place modules that will determine turret type and other parameters.

- These modules can be purchased and duplicated from turret factories, you can in effect change a turret without dismounting the current one. The turret you design will be a core part of your ship, not just something you slap on, but the modules that dictate how the turret works can be moved around as needed.

So, you create a new turret on your ship, or slap one on from your saved designs or the workshop.

A new entry is added to your ship management panel, you can name the turrets, customize sound, colors, effects.

There will be several color-coded slots that require certain modules to function, with extra slots for further tweaking.

Type, fire rate, accuracy, range, and several other type-specific modules. Damage would be calculated based on what modules you use.

Now you can make ships from your favorite TV show, video game, or book, or something straight from your imagination, and have weapons that match your vision.

6 answers to this suggestion

While I agree that it'd be nice to get rid of or severely tamp down the RNG of weapons, I'm not sure I can get behind this proposal for it.

Essentially what I'm reading here is that we'd be forced to create turrets through the current Turret builder, and then would have module slots and modules to deal with to get the turret attributes we want.

i think this would make it way more complicated,  which is not a good thing.  Good games usually have simple and uniform mechanics that still allow for a realisation of very complex visions (redstone in minecraft is a perfect example).

I think the weapon system in Avorion should be similar: instead of making it more complicated, it should be easier and uniform in comparison to the other mechanics of the game.

That means that, just as with fighters, you should be enabled to create blueprints of turrets you find and then be allowed to reproduce them in your ship.

you could try to find good turrets or simply build them at a turret-factory and since optics are customizable already, the result should be pretty close to what you wanted.

i think this would make it way more complicated,  which is not a good thing.  Good games usually have simple and uniform mechanics that still allow for a realisation of very complex visions (redstone in minecraft is a perfect example).

I think the weapon system in Avorion should be similar: instead of making it more complicated, it should be easier and uniform in comparison to the other mechanics of the game.

That means that, just as with fighters, you should be enabled to create blueprints of turrets you find and then be allowed to reproduce them in your ship.

you could try to find good turrets or simply build them at a turret-factory and since optics are customizable already, the result should be pretty close to what you wanted.

Yeah, I like the variety of turrets in the game, but the thing I hate the most about the game is that you are basically forced to use random turrets on your ships because there is no way to make copies of turrets. So if you find a turret factory that has a turret you really like and want to make it a standard weapon on all your ships. You first have to get all the parts to make all the turrets you need. But before you can get everything you need for all the turrets, an update resets all the turret factories and that turret is now lost forever.  :'( There needs to be a way to copy/clone turrets.

Also redstone in Minecraft sucks. It is just too slow and clunky. Unless you have the wiring stuff from the Red Power 2/Project Red mod, then it is a lot better. Terraria's wire system is much better. I hate when things are way too simple because that greatly limits customization and flexibility. So things can't be too simple.

Yeah, I like the variety of turrets in the game, but the thing I hate the most about the game is that you are basically forced to use random turrets on your ships because there is no way to make copies of turrets. So if you find a turret factory that has a turret you really like and want to make it a standard weapon on all your ships. You first have to get all the parts to make all the turrets you need. But before you can get everything you need for all the turrets, an update resets all the turret factories and that turret is now lost forever.  :'( There needs to be a way to copy/clone turrets.

Turret factories should also allow you more customization of the weapons it builds.  I find it a little odd that they're like "You want a cannon?  We have dual barrel burst fire only.  Take it or leave it."

Turret factories should also allow you more customization of the weapons it builds.  I find it a little odd that they're like "You want a cannon?  We have dual barrel burst fire only.  Take it or leave it."

True, more customization of the weapons it builds would be nice. I would like to see more of a point buy system kind of like when you build a fighter.