Using procedural gerator in ship builder

FuryoftheStars

Suggestion

For those of us that are... ahem... less than artistic, it'd be nice if we could use the procedural generator (or actual ship designs from the base game if you ever move away from the procedural generator) for our ships, stations, mines, etc.

I know there's the Steam workshop, but it'd still be nice to have access to the stuff from within the game, too.

And this goes for turrets as well.  I know some don't like the base game turret designs, and I admit that some aren't that great looking to me, but others are pretty snazzy I think. :P

10 answers to this suggestion

But that's no fun... The best thing about this game is building/designing your own ships. And the RNG ships are just terrible. XD You can also turn an RNG ship into a station, there is an option for it at the shipyard.

I'm not saying replace the ability to make your own, just add in the option to use the RNG.

I agree that many look terrible.  Some just need a little TLC to make look better.  I can work better off from an existing frame than I can from scratch.

And while I'm aware of the station founder option, this doesn't work for mines.

I'm not sure what you're expecting to achieve by using procedural models. They do not look good either, and it takes less effort to just stick whole blocks together to achieve needed stats, than to take a procedurally generated object and correct it to achieve the same.

Because to me just sticking blocks together to get the needed stats looks worse than many of the procedural stuff?  I just took a screenshot of the one station that was in sector with me, then jumped to a nearby sector and grabbed screens of three more.  All four of these I think look decent enough to use and are better and (most importantly) faster to get than my doing it myself.  But again, I'm talking about simply making this available as an option in ship builder, not replacing the ship builder.

You can see the four stations here: https://imgur.com/a/RpJGx9n

And to give an idea as to why I consider that as faster, I have a ship I've been working on.  I'm currently doing a revision (MKII) of the ship.  The first one took me over 2 months to complete.  Recently, I upped the difficulty from Normal to Expert.  With the immediate block breakage that starts, I decided to redesign it a little.  I stripped back the outer layers, extended the engines forward a bit (to give the ship more speed), then reapplied the outer layer, making it slightly thicker and making other minor tweaks along the way to the thrusters, turret positions, and other minor things.  That's taken me another 3 weeks.  I have a few minor tweaks left, but otherwise I think I'm done with it now.

It's a 3 slot ship.  Seriously.  Over 3 (probably was closing in on 4) months work for it at an average rate of 25 hours a week.  This is a screenshot of the MKII in the builder: https://imgur.com/a/PNTqycf  (EDIT: Oh, should probably mention, in regard to some of the stats it has, that it's currently using Trinium and Xanion.)

I am not as fast at this type of stuff as others.  I see posts from some people where they put up these giant, detailed ships and then someone asks in the comments how long it took.  They respond with something like a few hours a day for a few days or a week.  :o

It doesn't look like too bad of a ship. My warship designs take a long time too, much longer than my work/civilian style ships. But that is because of the weird angles in the designs of my warships. When I finish my destroyer design I might show some pictures of them on here.

You should also give your ship a nice paint job and some custom turrets.

And now the RNG ships are getting a facelift: https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,6167.0.html

It kind of already has a paint job: "Dim Gray" on all exposed surfaces.  That'll probably be the extent of my paint job as, again, I'm not very artistic.  Same goes with the turrets.  There are a few of the in-game turret designs that I like, but as we don't have access to them....