Add more target selection keys

XTRMNTR2K

Suggestion

(Hopefully this hasn't been posted before - I did a quick search and didn't find anything, so I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here.)

As far as I know, Avorion has a couple of keybinds for target selection:

1. Select targets (all valid objects in a sector)

2. Select friendlies (all owned or allied objects)

3. Select nearest enemy (or torpedo, if at least one is aimed at you).

4. Directly pointing at any selectable target and pressing the third mouse button

Basically, this is the bare minimum a game needs in order to provide target selection capabilities. However, I've found myself looking for more nuanced ways more often than not. After some consideration I would like to see hotkeys for these ones added as well:

A) Select hostile targets (when the closest one isn't the one you are looking for

B) Select player-owned objects (had a hard time finding a claimed asteroid again while in a nebula sector full of allied asteroids, stations and ships).

As a bonus, I think these could be useful as well:

C) Select asteroids only

D) Select wrecks only

A) is really the one I'm really missing the most right now; I usually check new systems for hostile targets first, and would like to toggle through all of them with the press of a key instead of being limited to the closest one.

P.S.: Though I've only had Avorion for around a week or so, I've already played for around 62 hours. The game has by far exceeded my expectations and I am positively hooked. Will probably write a proper steam review soon. :)

8 answers to this suggestion

I would like to see the above and maybe even a little more on this.

A target list box with filter or organizable stats OR/AND option to have enemies bracket info contain omicron and HP so you know what targets to prioritize would be handy. Of course all of this should be a toggle option in case someone doesn't want it.

A bit too EVE like for my taste in some ways, but it is valuable tactical info and really it's more of a wheel situation in that there are only so many ways you can do/reinvent it. Would be quite useful for rts mode too.

(Edit: disregard - I'm an idiot and didn't realize entity selection in rts mode is already there.)

In addition, a module that gives you the details of ships at farther distances would be nice as well. Such as getting the omicron and HP values farther out. Would give meaning to a recon or scout ship.