Getting Queued Mining to Work/Loop

Anthony AyeDog

I have a mining ship set to Mine in Sector A, Jump to B, Mine, Jump to C, Mine, Jump to A, then loop (with  the UI indicating that the "Loop" command would return it to "1"/"Mine  A"

So far, when  my ship finishes mining in  A it tells me that there's no further asteroids to be mined and then just waits, never jumping to B to begin the next phase of mining. It's using Mining beams (Not R-Mining), so it's definitely not a Cargo issue (Otherwise I've gotten the Cargo is full in Ship XX message).

My Trade ship didn't have any problem with Loop commands (Until the stations it was selling to ran out of Demand, that is, so fantastic gameplay there [no sarcasm]). so I'm thinking it's something either with me, or with mining.

Anyone else had better luck with it?

Also, in terms of looping, how long does it take for a sector to replenish its asteroids? I would ideally like to have a circle of 12 or so systems that it mines on repeat, jumping through them over and over and mining as they reset their resources. I haven't found anything indicating what kind of timer they're on.

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know why this happens, but I suggest you use R-Mining lasers and order the ship to mine, jump, refine, jump back, loop. This works very well and you run out of asteroids very rarely. Then you just find another sector with asteroids and do the same. I have 4 mining ships with this order chain and I have to intervene very rarely (not even once in an hour).

An odd thing that I've noticed when giving orders to ships via the map is that sometimes they "forget" or stop following the orders you gave.  I've run into this a number of times where I've simply issued a patrol sector order from the map, then a few minutes later will see the ship just sitting there.  If I go back to the map to look, the icon on the ship's portrait to indicate what orders it is following is gone.

An odd thing that I've noticed when giving orders to ships via the map is that sometimes they "forget" or stop following the orders you gave.  I've run into this a number of times where I've simply issued a patrol sector order from the map, then a few minutes later will see the ship just sitting there.  If I go back to the map to look, the icon on the ship's portrait to indicate what orders it is following is gone.

I've been seeing something similar. However, upon closer examination it turned out that the ship(s) in question had actually been multplied. One sitting there in the system, not following any orders (in fact, unable to accept any orders and not showing up on the galaxy map either) and one that's going about it's business as usual.

Not sure what could be causing it, though I assume mods could be involved (my game was heavily modified when this happened).

I've been seeing something similar. However, upon closer examination it turned out that the ship(s) in question had actually been multplied. One sitting there in the system, not following any orders (in fact, unable to accept any orders and not showing up on the galaxy map either) and one that's going about it's business as usual.

Not sure what could be causing it, though I assume mods could be involved (my game was heavily modified when this happened).

Interesting. In my cases I can definitely say there was no duplication going on and I can directly communicate with the ship and issue an order (and it will stay following that one), but doing it from the map is hit or miss.