Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Ship that is being boarded easy to destroy, huge consequences

Gorbald

(I also posted this as a comment below release notes on steam)

I had a figther squadron attack a ship. Then when it was below 30%, I ordered boarders to board it.

The fighters however continued to attack it. I set the fighter squadron to defend, they didn't stop attacking the ship. After a few seconds the ship was reduced to 0HP and all boarders died.

Could you please add safety measure like this: when a ship is being boarded then fighters, torpedoes, autofire turrets, other ships from player's fleet and ideally even allies do not target/attack that ship?

Also could you make it so that when the ship is reduced to 0HP, not all boarders die, and it's possible to recover most of them? I would imagine they could use the ship's escape pods, hide in places where there is no fire etc. so it would make sense IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok thanks for improving it. In the current version ship is not being attacked when the boarders are inside (although it still is when cargo shuttles are flying towards it).

Sadly the fighters attack and destroy it right after it's been captured, all boarders dead - can you please fix this?

Optional improvement suggestion: as enemies can easily destroy the captured ship (because it's low on hull), it would be nice to  transfer boarders automatically to safety of  their original ship right after the fight. Or maybe only if the ship is in "transfer crew/cargo/etc" range? Currently it's possible to do it manually, but it would be frustrating to lose all boarders just because I was not quick enough. Also I think this would make the game more interesting as it would make boarding usable in hard battles.

• 6 months later...

I don’t know as if this is so much an “issue” that needs fixing as a balance decision.

Really, if you try boarding a ship in the middle of a heavy fight, there should be a chance that the ship will still be destroyed and you’ll lose most of the boarders you sent aboard (how are they supposed to get off?  Jump out an airlock?  Escape pods I’d imagine wouldn’t be readily accessible to unauthorized personnel).

I do agree that friendlies should stop auto targeting and attacking the ship, but if the enemy decides to fire upon it after capture, that’s the risk.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/14/2020 at 11:10 PM, gorgofdoom said:

X:4 foundations [...] "AAA funded" game with exceptionally experienced Dev's

Not on topic, but I'd be surprised if Egosoft had anywhere near "AAA" levels of funding. Just saying.

As to the matter at hand, I think both @FuryoftheStars' answer and suggestion hit the nail right on the head.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the topic at hand, I just had two instances where I started boarding a ship, shut down my independent turrets, and after successfully boarding, they started firing on the ship again as soon as I reactivated them, in both cases destroying the already heavily damaged ship, along with the boarding crew of course.

There might be a deeper issue there, seeing how on many occasions AI ships continue firing at the wreckage of destroyed enemies (seems especially common for the Xsotan), in many cases even while there are still active enemies around or even firing at them.

For full disclosure, I'm using the mod "All turrets independent", but AFAICT that shouldn't change the logic of how independent turrets work.

• Like 1