[Rant/Suggestion] I just lost $150 million!

Thundercraft

Suggestion

Last night I lost $150 million due to either a game glitch or simple mistake that anyone could have made.

Keep in mind: I've been carefully saving up my money, selling claimed Asteroids to factions, trading often (using a Trading System upgrade), salvaging wrecks constantly, selling over half of all the resources I've mined, selling excess Turrets and Upgrade Modules, etc. I eventually managed to save up over $420 million. This, despite investing in 4 Solar Power Stations, one 7-slot mining ship complete with Captain, and enough upgraded Mine Corp. mines to provide me with several thousand units of Iron, Titanium, Naonite and Trinium per cycle (plus about 500 Xanium).

I've been preparing to take on the main quests, the mid-bosses and then tackle the Core. My current ship has 8 slots, about 100 k hull, and nearly 750 k shields (about 250 k shields without the 2 shield upgrades). I've already defeated Bottan and the M.A.D. Lab guy.

I know that the Core is going to be more difficult, so I've been exploring near the core to find the absolute best turrets possible from Turret Factories. My big problem now is saving up enough $millions to afford to build the turrets, because they're just so insanely expensive!

What happened:

I decided that I need to face Pirate Captain Swoks and get it out of the way, especially since I don't venture far from the Core much, anymore. Granted, I haven't faced him in a long time, perhaps as long as almost a year ago, so I don't remember my previous encounters.

So, I jumped around in empty sectors and, eventually, there he was. Except, I did not remember him having an entourage of nearly a dozen other pirate ships.

Meanwhile, there is a gun blazing away! There is a dialog window open and I know that the fighting should NOT start until after our conversation. But there is definitely shooting going on already! I believe that someone is shooting my ship. (Later, I realized that it was probably my Point Defense Chaingun Turret that I had left on "Defense" mode.)

What I can do is very limited as I am trapped by the dialog window. Until I get the dialog sorted out, I can't even check to see if it is my ship shooting at an enemy or an enemy shooting at me. I start to panic. While my memory of what happened is a bit foggy now, I believe that there was some graphic glitch preventing me from seeing the dialog options clearly. Or, maybe I did just panic.

Either way, before I knew it, I was $150 million poorer! And Captain Swoks was laughing maniacally, saying "Thanks for doing business" or something similarly smug. I don't remember very clearly because I was in shock and FUMING MAD!  :o :-\ >:(

Seriously! In my book, there is no excuse to have a dialog option to pay off Captain Swoks a freaking THIRD of our entire savings just to make him leave us alone! At the very least, this dialog option should be the last option out of all possible choices. Definitely, it should not be the top-most option that is selected by default! And if such an option must be there, the least the game should do is include a pop-up confirmation window asking "Are you sure that you want to do this?" before committing to such an insane choice. I'd much rather lose my ship than pay such an exorbitant bribe!

Argh! I'm still miffed.  >:( What's worse is that there is absolutely no way to recover this bribe. I immediately set about hyperspace jumping again to face Swoks a 2'nd time. He faced me again before very long. (Why wouldn't he, after already 'scaring' me into coughing up $150 million?) And I easily defeated him as his lackeys. My shields and hull barely even took a scratch. I had a dim hope of finding a cloud of money resources popping out of his wrecked ship, but no...  :'(

At a minimum, I was hoping that fighting bosses like Swoks and M.A.D. Lab would function as a way to earn money relatively quickly or, at the least, they would drop a lot of rare or exotic Upgrades. I mean, these are BOSS FIGHTS. But all they drop are the XSTN and, maybe - if we're lucky - one Legendary turret. In my book, that's pretty darned weak. Instead, I think they should be popping out upgrades like a piñata drops candies.

If I wasn't so invested in my current game and if it wasnt't for the fact that the server I'm on will probably get wiped soon, I would have given up on Avorion entirely and switch to a different game. Frustrating events like this does that to me. I have difficulty sticking to one game for very long. It was only recently that I decided to give Avorion another try after having given up on it some time last year. I've never even managed to get to the Core before. Though, mostly, this is because the server I'm on always ends up wiping and starting over before too long.

4 answers to this suggestion

Oh, dude, ouch! I have not read your whole post, but here is a temporary solution.

To refund yourself:

1. Run this command in the chat box /run Entity():addScript("lib/entitydbg.lua")

2. Click on the new puzzle icon it generates in the top right corner.

3. Go to the cargo commands tab (2nd to last) and repeatedly click an expensive item, such as the War Robot in the lower right corner. Each click will give you 10 of the item.

4. Sell your cheated cargo. You can sell anything at a smuggler's post if you brand it as stolen with the upper right corner button.

Oh, dude, ouch! I have not read your whole post, but here is a temporary solution.

To refund yourself:

Thank you for the reply and the suggestion.

This is, indeed, a nice way to fix it. Unfortunately, I've been playing on a server. So there's no way to use admin codes like that. In other circumstances I could probably contact the Admin and explain my situation. However, the Admin has been absent for a long time and we've not been able to contact him.

To refund yourself:

Thank you for the reply and the suggestion.

This is, indeed, a nice way to fix it. Unfortunately, I've been playing on a server. So there's no way to use admin codes like that. In other circumstances I could probably contact the Admin and explain my situation. However, the Admin has been absent for a long time and we've not been able to contact him.

:( Sorry to hear. Hope you will still have fun!