Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Mechanism to turn Slaves over to Patrol?

Thundercraft

Suggestion

Slaves are illegal, for obvious reasons. Trafficking in slaves should be illegal.

Sometimes, though, as we are salvaging a Wreckage, some contraband or dangerous (i.e., license needed) loot will pop out. If we're not careful and/or quick, we might get fined for having them in our cargo hold, even if our ship picked them up automatically.

But that mechanism isn't even, exactly, what I want to talk about. Rather, I suggest that there be some mechanism by which players could turn over Slaves to patrol ships (or whoever) without getting fined or losing reputation. Let me explain:

Let's say we were to write some fan fiction about Avorion. And let's say the story revolves around a mercenary captain. But, while hardened by a tough and unforgiving galaxy, he (or she) is not exactly heartless.

A situation arises much like what I pointed out above: Said captain (and crew) is salvaging a Wreckage when some cargo containers pop out. Some of these cargo containers are Slaves. But this is an uninhabited sector and there are no patrol ships.

What does the Captain do?

The captain certainly does not have the stomach to go to a Smuggler's Den or whatever to sell the slaves there. That's a line he won't cross. However, this is an uninhibited sector. There aren't even any asteroids or anything of value to attract traffic. If he leaves these Slaves floating in the vastness of deep space - even if they are in cryosleep - they will be as good as dead. In this vast emptiness, nobody will ever find them.

It's not like he could pick them up and turn them over to the authorities... could he? If he has them in his cargo hold, the patrol vessels will immediately stop him and blame him for smuggling Slaves, regardless of what he tells them...

See what I mean?

So, I think there should be some mechanism to turn them over. I'm thinking that if we have Slaves in our cargo hold and patrol vessels detect them, the player would be instructed to stop and they would remove them. However, if the player did not stop (i.e., their thrusters stay on), then the patrol might assume that the player is making a run for it and do the usual, with a penalty to reputation, etc, etc.

2 answers to this suggestion

I agree that there should be some mechanism to VOLUNTARILY report or turn over illegal goods.  This would allow you to avoid fines and relations penalties, and perhaps even improve relations in some cases (such as actively freeing slaves).

Maybe something to “flag” illegal cargo, to be reported or turned-in the next time you're in a “civilized” sector, so that if you happen to be scanned by a military ship, they simply see that you have cargo already intended for the authorities, so they can just offer to collect it since they're already near you (instead of practically arresting you for carrying illegal cargo).

A two-fold solution, would be a mechanism to set collection behavior of dangerous / illegal goods.

[*]Don't collect cargo above a predefined hazard level at all.

[*]Collect cargo below a certain hazard level, but automatically flag it for return to authorities (if applicable).

[*]Collect all cargo, regardless of hazard level, and don't worry about flags.

• Like 1