Dev Update: Upcoming Updates

koonschi

• Boxelware Team

Hey everyone!

Quick Update on what we're currently working! We actually have multiple updates in the pipeline, and we're ready to tell you about them :) You can expect most of these to arrive in the next weeks.

Mining Update: Finishing Touches

Right now we're adding the finishing touches to the mining rework, and we hope to set it live very soon! We were struggling with some AI issues that were introduced with the new harvest-specific AI, that was already performing a lot better than before, but, being a new kind of AI, had some starter issues. Those issues have been resolved and we're in our final testing phase.

Large Update 1: Workshop Mods

The first update we're working on right now is workshop mods. Some of you may already have discovered a new "Mods" category in the workshop - we're restructuring modding so that we can easily allow plug-and-play mods you can simply download from the workshop without having to modify any files. Apart from some small issues, this update is almost finished, and we want to set it live on the beta branch as soon as we can!

Small Update 1: Energy Cooling Rework

We want to rework the way that energy cooling of turrets works. It won't be a mega ground-breaking change, but we found that there are some issues, such as some turrets requiring MASSIVE amounts of energy and so on.

Small Update 2: New Block Shape

People have asked us a lot of times about a new block shape, and we can finally tell you that it's coming! This is what we're talking about: https://imgur.com/tShfTsa

We ran into a few issues with this (such as it not being mirrorable onto itself, so we need 2 versions of it) but we're finished and the builders of our community can rejoice!

Small Update 3: Improved SFX

We're also working on a lot of improvements on the sound effects of the game. We're adding more SFX, improving the sound of SFX by adding better effects depending on distance, etc. and we're working together with SFX professionals to improve the general sound scape of Avorion.

Large Update 2: Boarding

And the second LARGE update that we're currently working on is: Boarding! You will finally be able to set those boarders to use! Together with boarding, we'll also add a few improvements to crew handling, especially crews for large ships, which can be a pain to manage. We've got some exciting changes for those, so stay tuned for more updates!

Have fun everybody!

Awesome!!  Great to see all these things in the works!

On the subject of mods, I love that you're making mods an easy and integrated part of the game, and at the same time I've never felt the need to mod Avorion to be able to enjoy it.  For example, Stellaris is a great game, but I can't really enjoy it without adding at least a dozen mods.  Same thing with Minecraft, to the point that I build my own modpacks - with literally over 100 mods - for it.  I've never felt that need with Avorion, and that's an incredible thing.  Bravo!

Small Update 2: New Block Shape

This is what we're talking about: https://imgur.com/tShfTsa

I've dreamed of this shape for so long! Thank you SO MUCH! It will have an immediate use on each ship of mine, haha.

Epic sound effects will be magnificent!

And boarding will be greatly appreciated after having been teased for so long! I'm curious how you all will implement this.