Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Fuel for generator

maxdax5

Suggestion

Everyone know that solar panel is unuseful.  The logic would be that a generator need fuel to run. 0.005 fuel per second for 1 Gw of use. Wich is 1 hour of fuel with a 1000 cargo of fuel at 50Gw of use constantly. This would only make sence and also add even more complex to have ship formation, mining buddies... Solar panel would become useful for many aplication specialy stations. Batteries could also be a fuel and be able to charge them.

14 answers to this suggestion

• Boxelware Team

In a way we already have that in the game, as all ships need life support. Life support consumes energy, albeit not too much in order to not be too annoying :)

We talked  a lot about a more "real" gamemode, where engines need fuel, crew eats food and such. Would that be more to your liking?

Everyone know that solar panel is unuseful.  The logic would be that a generator need fuel to run. 0.005 fuel per second for 1 Gw of use. Wich is 1 hour of fuel with a 1000 cargo of fuel at 50Gw of use constantly. This would only make sence and also add even more complex to have ship formation, mining buddies... Solar panel would become useful for many aplication specialy stations. Batteries could also be a fuel and be able to charge them.

Solar Panels are useful in that they are way cheaper than generators and already best suited for stations, which doesn't have to care about the overall volume efficiency that solar panels undermine. Introducing fuel will simply add an extra problem for people - it won't change the frequency of use for Solar Panels at all.

Not only that, but like I've already said in another thread, that argued for the same mechanic not so long ago, it can cause players to run out of fuel in the middle of nowhere and stuck permanently, because a ship without power cannot move, turn or jump, and player's Drone cannot carry anything. As long as you cannot circumvent this problem in a reasonable and simple way, any such suggestion has no merit to be considered.

Solar Panels are useful in that they are way cheaper than generators and already best suited for stations, which doesn't have to care about the overall volume efficiency that solar panels undermine. Introducing fuel will simply add an extra problem for people - it won't change the frequency of use for Solar Panels at all.

Not only that, but like I've already said in another thread, that argued for the same mechanic not so long ago, it can cause players to run out of fuel in the middle of nowhere and stuck permanently, because a ship without power cannot move, turn or jump, and player's Drone cannot carry anything. As long as you cannot circumvent this problem in a reasonable and simple way, any such suggestion has no merit to be considered.

Have you ever checked how much cost making 10Gw energy with generator and 10Gw energy with solar panel? Solar panel cost more and need super large area.

Maybe small ship under 6Gw could run fuel free. Other than that, if you miss fuel i think its more your problem to run flush and refueling could be done by making a small ship or maybe a game mechanic that already exists: Fuel delivery instead of crew delivery.

Make a check button option when you make your galaxy. Need fuel - true/false. That would even add new mission to do. "ran out of fuel. (x,y) we need 1340 vol". We need mechanics like those in the game.

Just don't make it too complicated please! I know several players who quit the game after testing it for one or two hours because they were overwhelmed by the mechanics. That is a shame! Avorion is just such a nice game and it shouldn't keep players away because of being too complicated.

The "hardmode" thing Cepheni said seemes like a good solution to me, but the game definitely has more urgent issues at the moment.

In a way we already have that in the game, as all ships need life support. Life support consumes energy, albeit not too much in order to not be too annoying :)

We talked  a lot about a more "real" gamemode, where engines need fuel, crew eats food and such. Would that be more to your liking?

Well, i think food and such might be over pushing it or literally like you says , a "real" gamemode. Life support 'takes' energy. I am talking about nerfing generator so that other blocks that exists become useful such as solar panel and goods like fuel and maybe batteries.

I know several players who quit the game after testing it for one or two hours because they were overwhelmed by the mechanics. That is a shame! Avorion is just such a nice game and it shouldn't keep players away because of being too complicated.

That is false. I have multiple friends that bought the game because i play a lot and they dont stop playing because its hard. They stop because its not there type of game. Dev made this game normal paced with painful dying but with everything around to make it possible. Lots of player these days are seeking over fast paced games and when dying nothing happen cause loosing things desperate them and quit. Only one of my friend still play with me and he just love mining and even more now with the new mechanic!! Game is more complicated but we all love it more that way since it put to use things that are there and no one use. It add also a feeling that the game is not empty and with lots of possibilities.

That is false. I have multiple friends that bought the game because i play a lot and they dont stop playing because its hard. They stop because its not there type of game. Dev made this game normal paced with painful dying but with everything around to make it possible. Lots of player these days are seeking over fast paced games and when dying nothing happen cause loosing things desperate them and quit. Only one of my friend still play with me and he just love mining and even more now with the new mechanic!! Game is more complicated but we all love it more that way since it put to use things that are there and no one use. It add also a feeling that the game is not empty and with lots of possibilities.

Mate.

Think about what you say.

I know these people. In real life. They told me.

And it is not about one or two, but about seven different people who I got to buy this game and who had it refunded on Steam because they found it too complicated.

Don't say "That is false" when someone tells you what he has experienced.

The game has different issues, you named some. That's ok as long as it is early acess. But a missing (good) tutorial for the games mechanics and a (yet) beginner unfriendly game experience are not helpfull for this game to grow. When you look around what I wrote in the forums, you will see that I recognize many other problems as well.

I just wanted to make clear that the start in this game is already complicated and should be simplified (not by mechanics, but by tutorials).

When it comes to the usefullness of solar panels, I am 100% with you.

The game has different issues, you named some. That's ok as long as it is early acess. But a missing (good) tutorial for the games mechanics and a (yet) beginner unfriendly game experience are not helpfull for this game to grow. When you look around what I wrote in the forums, you will see that I recognize many other problems as well.

I just wanted to make clear that the start in this game is already complicated and should be simplified (not by mechanics, but by tutorials).

When it comes to the usefullness of solar panels, I am 100% with you.

OH! Yeah its definitely missing tutos! :P I myself got my tutos from google/avorion wiki/forum and loading screens. Tho i still always explain my friend how to start and what to do to not die and they quit because its not their type of game. I make small games and it sure is not the funnyest thing to make (tuto)

https://postimg.cc/gallery/kxoe0e3e/

Here is the proof that solar panel need a buff or energy production need a tune up. Going higher resource material just make the solar panel even more useless.

I really consider thinking about the fuel system/mechanic and a huge buff for the solar panel. Make it so that its power is affected by the material used.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/kxoe0e3e/

Here is the proof that solar panel need a buff or energy production need a tune up. Going higher resource material just make the solar panel even more useless.

I really consider thinking about the fuel system/mechanic and a huge buff for the solar panel. Make it so that its power is affected by the material used.

Yeah, the solar panels aren't going on my ship any time soon! lol

I don't know how useful solar panels are for stations since I have not built any, but I know that they're useless on my ships. I just did some math based on your pictures and learned that the solar panels are MUCH more expensive for the same GWs ($150000 vs $40000 and 13000Tr vs 3000Tr).

BUT I just remembered that their GW output is dependent on SURFACE AREA. You can double your output with the panels simply by dividing one giant cube into 4 slices. I just got 20.4 GW by dividing a .6GW 10*10*10 solar cube into 100 slices! And it can go up to 200GW with 1000 slices! I've just learned that the cost is not linear because a 10*10*10 cube cost 2300Tr while a 10*0.1*10 slice costs 370Tr. For reference, a 10^3 generator costs 50000Tr with 100GW.

My new thoughts on solar panels: they're expensive but space-saving. Although, I dislike that their output is based on surface area alone. I don't want to click a thousand times to utilize solar panels on my ships. What if they had quintuple the output but only worked when exposed on the outside? The game could check for exposure by checking in the same way it does with hangers. If that were to happen, then it should check and count only one or two faces. They would be a weak point of the ship but would grant a major energy bonus.

The effect of Solar Panels is specifically defined by the area of a reflective surfaces. That's the point. Solar Panels are perfect for stations, that are not expected to be attacked in the first place, so you can use any disposable material you want. Using standard generator blocks for large stations with high power demand is prohibitive at very least. It's in general a bad idea to build stations and ships from the same materials.

Yeah, better mat solar panels need a big buff, but the devs decided solar panels were only useful for irongrade ships 😔.

It'll be one of the first blocks to mod once block modding will be added.