Website/Forum/Wiki Issues

thedamngod

I have been noticing for some time now that there are some hiccups(?) on the host of the forums/website/wiki, where the site appears unavailable for a few (15-30) seconds and then is available again. I've had this happen when previewing posts or changes on the wiki and it nearly cost me a post on here. Although it also happened if I just try to access the domain.

Is there some kind of DDoS protection which cuts connections from some IPs after a certain amount of requests with an attached cooldown? Or are there other kinds of bugs which could cause this?

Yes, ever since being part of this community I'm having the same issue.

It's actually kind of a bit easy fix for Koonshi since he is running it on the hetner it might be highly recommended he have a proxy layer like cloudflare to help manage performance. It should do a decent job for us world wide and easy up on resources on his side too.

Unless he has he webserver really badly configured then that would need to be fixed as well hehe :)

First of all:

May I suggest that the forum administrator create a separate "Website/Forum/Wiki Issues" area (like how the General Off-Topic area is treated as separate from Avorion discussion topics)? I only searched in the General Off-Topic area for someplace to talk about forum issues as a last resort, because it made no sense to post about it in any other area. I've registered with and participated in over a hundred forums over the years. I've even moderated before. And almost without exception they have a "Forum Issues" type area for members to talk about such.

Second:

Suggestion: Please consider adding a New Replies to Your Topics link/function so member can keep track of new replies to discussions they are a part of or which they have set notifications for. Again, this feature is commonplace to nearly every forum and online community I have ever participated in. The absence of this feature seems rather glaring to me.

I strongly suspect that it should be possible to add this functionality without much trouble. I see that this forum uses SMF 2.0.9 by Simple Machines. SMF is the most popular forum software in the world and one of the oldest. And I'm familiar with many SMF-based forums which have a Show new replies to your posts link, so I know it's possible.

Currently, to follow my discussions, I have to click on my Profile > Summary and then click the Show Posts link. Then I have to click on each discussion I've ever participated in, one at a time, to see if there are any new replies. To call that tedious and a waste of bandwidth would be an understatement.

I did, finally, find the Unread Posts link. However, it is only visible on the forum's main page and perhaps on area indexes. Most SMF forums have that as an Show unread posts since last visit or Updated Topics link that's always visible in the upper left corner.