Mass Accelerator Cannon

Timmeynator

Suggestion

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'dd like to iterate on an old idea that seems to have died out. Perhaps 2019 is the right time to implement the Mass Accelerator Cannon.

I've only been able to find a mention of this @ https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,372.0.html.

Perhaps the block type and ideas used in the torpedo launcer and torpedo cargo hold can be used to create a Halo style MAC Gun. The total block volume could be used to calculate the power required. The lenght of the gun together with the height could be used to size the nozzle. Just like with the torpedo bays. Then the barrel could be calculated and therefore the required volume for ammunition and its strenght. You guys are way smarter than me to figure out the balancing but the point is to create another great feature and play style.

Below is a list of some of the things I could come up with to utilize already implemented features/mechanics:

-Size

If you want to utilize huge capital ships a powerfull MAC will force you to go big.

If you play similar to me, that is expanding and scaling your starter ship a lot. Then a MAC can grow with the role of the ship before you have the resources to design your new plaything.

-Power

Firing a MAC takes a toll on a ships power which will utilize the already ingame features associated with power generation and consuption.

-Storage

The depleted uranium slugs could be stored in a torpedo cargo bay like block. Perhaps even repurposing the inplace torpedo storage to a more general arsenal or armory.

-Player Control

The whole loading and controlling of the torpedo tubes system could add an extra tab in your ship menu to manage the loading of tungsten sluggs and add the guns to your control groups.

I think you guys get the gist of it and I would love to see this in the near future. The MAC has a lot of potential to enhance in place systems while adding a big honka honka space gun.

3 answers to this suggestion

This is a nifty idea, but it would require flushing out rail guns into sub catagories of rail guns. I’m assuming you’re after MAC cannons as they are in the Halo universe, these weapons however ARE railguns. If the devs were to flush out the railgun as a weapon type instead of an individual weapon however, having a coaxial railgun with these characteristics would be interesting, and would help diversify ship builds