[0.20.3 beta] Memory leak

Salminar

Hi,

It's pretty simple i have 16gb ram and the game run alone with windows and my web browser with around 4,5gb used.

However, each time i start editing a station, the memory used rocket jump to over 14gb and make windows panic and close all program with avorion lagging like hell cause no memory left.

That really don't look like a normal behavior and smell like a big memory leak of something that is really wrong.

When i edit a ship in creative i have no issues, it's only with stations.

No i do not at all.

I did edit some station, doing small work and exiting the editor only after 2 or 3 changes and the memory usage is kept pretty low ... (Put the memory monitoring on)

Looks like that's something particular in the editing that screw the whole thing, so i'll keep trying to figure what it is exactly cause the game with windows alone never reach more than 5gb when it does not go crazy.

'tis weird, because I built two stations in Creative in 0.20.3, and a 5gb memory leak would have hardcrashed my 4gb rig during turret arming.

Though, I did get a hardcrash, but I figured it was due to the 500 active sector limit as I started colonizing more sectors on a save that used to be a rush to Ogonite.

After lowering the limit to 20 (actually 15 because I didn't care about loaded sectors since it was creative), the game didn't crash again, and that's when I built the two stations.

Thank for your sharing but if you allow windows to put memory on your hardrive, what is more likely to happen with 4gb memory, you will never be able to spot a memory leak and will simply have a slow computer. So your comment do not help at all as you do not monitor anything.

Alright ... Spoke too fast.

So a new report, what i have done.

Jump into my sector, create a station builder from my shipyard, go in a place without obstacle into the system and ask for a plastic mine.

Then i start building on it, i converted everything to xanion to start and then removed a few blocks useless. By the tie i delete my 4th block my system said too much memory was used.

As i was monitoring things i could have a clear view of what was happening and it's definitely a memory leak.

Avorion server seem to not be affected by the damn thing, so it would be avorion client doing the mess.

What happened?

The taks manager kept saying Avorion client did take around 2gb memory (which is already a lot more than it does usually on my computer) but the memory use was getting hight second by second (around 5-10 mb/second) while during this same time the memory reserved on the system was going up at a rate 10x higher. But this memory seem to be affected to nobody, as no process where using more space at all.

It was even clearer as quite soon windows closed everything except Avorion (even windows manager ...) letting almost only one program running.

Windows memory management is always an issue cause many games pretend to only be using a few Gb while they were using a lot more in fact, most of the memory reserved via system (Black desert do this as exemple, pretending to only take 8gb while it can in fact eat more than 20 if you let it run for long enough) and it's usually related to graphical memory reserved for the graphic driver, but here i don't think it could be the case as i don't see why a graphic issue could be related to station building.

Will try to have more clues if i can.

Alright had the issue simply creating a station.

Made a few screenshots and posted them Here

Still don't know what makes this happen.

Note that after the crash, if the server saved the station, i can go back into my save and edit the said station without any troubles at all. So the issue really comes from changing the station builder into a station.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...