I just flew a fighter.

Nachtu

I suppose it's a bug, but it's a cool one!

So here's how I did it.

1.) I had my fighters around in the sector, flying nearby defending a station

2.) Destroyed a ship of mine by selecting all blocks and hitting delete in build mode (wihtout safe mode ofc)

3.) BAM, now I'm flying a fighter. I can't drift, roll or anything fancy but I can fly it in all the same ways an AI pilot can. Did not figure out how to barrel roll though! I can even shoot as you'll see in some pics.

Oh and what's really interesting is that as I shot a ship of mine and immediately transferred to that particular ship, the fighter continued shooting the same ship when AI control resumed. No other fighter in it's squad did that.

There were other normal ships of mine in the sector too, and my station. I have done this multiple times using the same method. I'm playing the newest beta branch, but have done it in the previous beta branch patch also.

Yup, and if you deploy fighters and manage to select one, you can enter it the same way you'd do a ship :)

Barrel rolls are automatic when hit though, (if you have dodges left).

Minor and low-priority suggestion: Maybe fighters personally driven by players should have 25 times the hitpoints and random bonus things like (one to eight?) torpedoes, better guns or slightly autoaiming guns,  so playing as a fighter pilot during battles could actually be feasible, with dogfighting, bombing runs and other sillinesses ::)

Also, a "ECM" modifier for fighters, which make them immune to being locked by Seeker Missiles.