Questions on Turrets and Independent Targeting

SneakyTacts

A couple of questions about turrets, in general:

1. Do turrets with the "independent targeting" trait deal less damage only when set to auto-fire, or is their damage value as true as regular turrets?

2. By how much does the independent targeting trait reduce damage?

3. Why do weapons seem to deal variable amounts of damage depending on the type of block that it hits? My railguns deal 3K damage on certain blocks but 1K damage on others.

4. Related to the last question: why do my railgun turrets have a damage value of 300 in the tool-tip thing but when I hit anything, it appears much more powerful than that? I'm not talking about the DPS value.

When answering a question, please be sure to write which question number you're answering. Don't worry about not being able to answer everything in one post. Many thanks in advance.

Quick edit: should I post these types of questions in the general or gameplay section?

A couple of questions about turrets, in general:

1. Do turrets with the "independent targeting" trait deal less damage only when set to auto-fire, or is their damage value as true as regular turrets?

Turretts with the independent option do the same damage regardless of whether you're using it or not

2. By how much does the independent targeting trait reduce damage?

50%

3. Why do weapons seem to deal variable amounts of damage depending on the type of block that it hits? My railguns deal 3K damage on certain blocks but 1K damage on others.

AFAICT railguns penetrate hull blocks (and others) and are only stopped by armour, i.e. they are capable of damaging multiple blocks. My guess is they deal their damage to every block they hit, which would be 1 in case of armour, and multiple in all other instances

4. Related to the last question: why do my railgun turrets have a damage value of 300 in the tool-tip thing but when I hit anything, it appears much more powerful than that? I'm not talking about the DPS value.

See above

Go find a turret factory (the higher tech level the better for more options) and experiment a bit with the values, what I wrote above is practically all based on observations I made there.

Thanks a lot! That all makes sense. I wasn’t planning on replying if I had no questions because I made sure to give thanks in advance, but since you’ve quickly provided helpful answers to all my questions, I’m acknowledging your reply and thanking you since this is still a new topic.

Some turret types also do more or less damage to hull versus shields.

Railguns in particular can pierce hull blocks but won't pierce armor blocks so they'll do less total damage when hitting armor.

Things like teslas and plasma turrets do bonus damage to shields, while things like bolters do bonus damage to hull.

Some turret types also do more or less damage to hull versus shields.

Railguns in particular can pierce hull blocks but won't pierce armor blocks so they'll do less total damage when hitting armor.

Things like teslas and plasma turrets do bonus damage to shields, while things like bolters do bonus damage to hull.

Ah, I didn’t know about the armor part. Good to know.