What are the best defensive fighters?

Nachtu

I'm building a huge ship, and I'm optimizing armed turret slots, so I'm not using too many slots for PDC:s, although some PD lasers will probably be mandatory.

SO:

Is it possible to defend my ship from torpedoes/fighters using mostly fighters of my own? What kind of fighters would perform best in this/these roles?

Hi,

SO:

Is it possible to defend my ship from torpedoes/fighters using mostly fighters of my own? What kind of fighters would perform best in this/these roles?

I'm using just 4 PDCs (one on top/bottom/left/right) on my bigger ships, that's enough to deal with torpedoes. In the worst case, up to 3 of those PDCs can shoot in the same direction.

Dealing with fighter-spam is much worse. I'm still trying to find the best weapon for that purpose, but a fighter made out of a PDC works good and is cheap, because of low DPS. Lasers might work better (because of 100% accuracy, doesn't need to be a PDL), but the weapons' range might be an issue.

For "how to kill fighters at long-range", Seeker Missile Launcher Fighters may be faster and hilarious (they may have up to around 20 range but the projectiles are slow so the fighters would start being intercepted at range 10) but may cause alarming collateral damage :P.

At close range, Anti-Fighter flak cannons are a must, because one's own ships cannot hit one's own fighters, including the fighters themselves, but the 2 range would cause the need to make them as fast as possible (even if interceptors are usually made that way).

Lasers have a pretty nice range of around 7 (though good rolls may give better results), like PDCs.

Didn't try independent targeting Pulse Cannons, they may be as good as non-point defense independant chainguns, and they make a nice pew noise ::).

Thx for replies guys!

Lasers might work better (because of 100% accuracy, doesn't need to be a PDL), but the weapons' range might be an issue.

PDLasers might be massively cheaper. I speculate that range is not an issue, as long as they are fast and maneuverable. I think damage might be an issue though, since it's dramatically lower on PDLasers than it is on normal Lasers; but then again I've no idea how much HP fighters have generally.