Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Horrible Windows-10 related issues

Kamo

• Boxelware Team

I tried to reproduce it, but couldn't. I'll describe my steps here, maybe you did something differently?

I build a ship with turret bases, went on each of them into the turret building mode and applied a saved design. To better see the difference I used two of the same turrets and designs and gave them different colors. I then went out of the turret building mode, applied turrets to the designs.

After leaving the building mode all of the turrets showed the expected color. Only one not showing the color was the rocket launcher.

Thanks for the fast reply ! I tested teslas and lightning guns and they displayed the correct shot color, my bad.

Force guns and lasers seems to not vary though. Maybe something in the turret's shot color is overriding the turret base's color.

Also, there is another problem: Superfetch and Windows Update do not seem to identify the Avorion Server as a game, so they continue working "in the background". This causes all available disk usage to be shunted from Avorion Server, causing it to suspend all activity (without disconnecting).

Edit: That's a serious problem. Avorion is not making my computer lag, the System is causing the lag, to the point the server is now starting to disconnect me after a few minutes of play.

The Windows 10-related issues are increasing dramatically, to the point I can only barely play. I've just seen the dialog from the Windows Firewall blocking network access to the Avorion Server (causing disconnection) despite me having set the default for that process since my rigs' installation >:(.

Substance, I've disabled Superfetch, Telemetry, Windows Defender's continuous scan, and disconnected the wire connecting the computer from the web and it's still struggling horribly to do things it did perfectly fine even two or three days before :'( !

Apparently it's mostly the latest Windows Update's fault :(.

This topic has been renamed for some reason, but I'm replying to the turret color issue.

I've only used turret designs for lasers and teslas, but I've never seen a turret's shot have any color other than the default. No matter what I can't get any color to work and I have no idea why.

Hi Kamo,

The Windows 10-related issues are increasing dramatically, to the point I can only barely play. I've just seen the dialog from the Windows Firewall blocking network access to the Avorion Server (causing disconnection) despite me having set the default for that process since my rigs' installation >:(.

first thing to do after installing Windows is installing a good firewall (at least since Win 98... ). Windows Defender is weird - try something like zonealarm free or any firewall you can get for free and your problems should be solved.

The other solution is: Get rid of Windows (and Windows Defender) and try Debian or Ubuntu :P

Avorion is working fine for me, using Debian testing.

• Boxelware Team

Maybe the windows update reset some of your settings? Does it work now that you added the server to the exceptions again?

What else isn't working right? Can you add your client- and server-logs to the post if  you have something like crashes or graphic problems?

I've installed Avira and Spybot. Windows Defender and its Antimalware thing seem to have deactivated, but the System 100% Disk Usage continues to cause problems, but this time, the sometimes two-minute-long freezing happens during loading in addition to usually after, as sometimes the game also freezes when I rotate the ship after jumping (and the dreaded blue circle pointer shows itself), relative to the amount of objects, so whatever is screwing up with virtual memory is still screwing up with it and impeding the game free access to its own allocated virtual memory.

And WPR is cancelled/disabled, alongside all telemetry (I reverified).

I guess I still need to wait for a fix.

Edit: And now it disconnected. It's even making the server lag back.

Hi Kamo,

are you playing single-player? In single-player games your computer has to run a server in the background, too, so it uses more processing-power and more ram.

Have you had a look at the ram-usage? Well, how much ram has your computer got? 4gb seems to be just enough for the client, for single-player I'd recommend more like 8gb+.

Well, if you've been playing on your local pc (single-player), you could try to play on a server (maybe an older computer that is able to run a console based linux with the avorion-server, or a server on the internet).

Every other Windows OS is Screwed up.

95 good

98 bad

98SE good

2000 bad

ME bad

XP good

VIsta bad

7 good

8 bad

8.2 good

10 bad

Anyone else notice the patteren???

I just had to screw-up your pattern a little :P

Well, you forgot that there were 2 different series of Windows-OSes at some point, 2000 and XP were part of the professional series, while 95, 98 and so on were part of the home-OSes.

And you could also include Win 3.11 (for workgroups) and older releases, too.

I have 4 GB, but I didn't have any problem even in Solo (at least, with my training yard).

In "solo multiplayer" mode I use my usual computer instead of the rig for the server, the first also having 4 GB (and running on Windows 7 which has slightly less mem usage). It usually ends in the Avorion Client running way more smoothly (the server however, needs a restart every 4 to 5 hours as it starts to have more-than-one-second-frames :)).

The current problem makes it so my rig's virtual memory is like ten times slower. My disk goes slightly slow at 7200 RPM, but like I said there are huge two-minute-long loading times where it took ten to twenty seconds to load a sector : it feels like it loads the sector in VM, then the graphics engine loads the objects piecemeal from it, hence the second loading where most of the objects that weren't loaded get loaded... while whatever system process the update updated is accessing the same memory with higher priority :(.

New thing: I've discovered in the Event Viewer that the Avorion client is actually running out of virtual memory (attaining 6 803 350 720 octets). I highly suspect some sort of systematic memory leak, still on the Win10 side, though Avorion also may be the cause.

I am currently testing a new galaxy to verify two things

• If it's a VM Win10-based System Memory Leak (if it is, I should have problems with this galaxy once I have a big enough ship/fleet)
  • If it's caused by breaching into the Inner Sphere. People have reported problems when beyond the Barrier, I wonder if it is the cause here (if it is, problems should happen when entering the Inner Sphere).

Edit (01/12): I just killed Swoks and I'm just starting to have slightly longer loading times.

Though it seems, after roughly three game hours, Windows made a noise and actually "suspended" Avorion for an unknown reason, causing it to crash.

Edit (02/12): Breached the Inner Sphere, with a total ship count of 8 (modified) Primeforts, 2 DualCastels, 1 (modified) Andis, and of course a giant heavily customized 16x Achital (28 million hull) serving as flagship ::).

Right now, not much problems. Tested for quite a bit and didn't crash or even get slower, so it isn't Avorion-related, or at least, not Barrier-related. Here's a screenie for the trouble, made a little before opening the Gate.

D10269908B4B844D9FEF9C265EBC16B61F68037B

• 2 weeks later...

New Windows 10 update, and new Avorion update :D ! How will it work in Solo ?...

I - Virtual Memory and Lag

It has trouble loading :-\, aaand...

(I guess it can have problems showing the interface and initializing stuff since the last test ended in a straight crash)

Calculating jump out of a crowded sector...

Huge lag while trying to trade with a mobile merchant, because it happened 15 sec after jumping, the moment when the virtual memory dumb thing used to happen :(... But the server endured !

Jumping in a roid field (2125 roids) to test loading lots of plans/objects, attacked by pirates that made some moderate lag before jumping...

The loading exceeds fifteen minutes :'(. I hear UI noises (probably crew fees) while the loading screen continues. Trying escape and pause to let the game rest, then alt-tabbing. Ah - seems the client has crashed, nevermind ::).

Retrying the asteroid field jump. While reconnecting Windows meddles a bit... then again...

It seems to work better, even if the loading is still really too long. Will retry in a sector full'o'ships.

Damn, had a perfect connection, but it lost it in like, two seconds. How did it happen is a mystery. I just jumped in a sector where one of my ships, a Nana, jumped (experimenting with the galaxy map interface)...

Oooh, I switched to the sector in which I sent back the Nana (a yard with around twelve ships), and there is no lag. Would the lag's origin be the CII Tenebris ? Switched back... YES, it's from the Tenebris. Apparently I am getting lag because something about her is wrong. May be the size (it's the biggest ship I've made), the block count (2925+around 4500 blocks worth of custom turrets including  and decoration) and the blocks' sizes, the amount of turrets/turret slots (75 + 6 shafts may be a lot).

The client lagged for a minute, then blackscreened for a while then got back. The server didn't endure, alas.

Fourth logging, I quickly switch away from the superdestroyer. It would be the last lag of the session.

II - Asteroid Punching

Other weird things are happening, this time at the Astral Gate where the Guardian of Nurgle station pushed the VIII asteroid with her docking beams, sending it flying away at a constant 150 m/s speed. I'm pursuing it and stopping it with the CII Wrath of Narutakisou, as it doesn't seem to stop...

2E03C1E1679B6561D1DE797B90F3E99D5A27442D

Hitting it made it start decelerating like an everyday asteroid in the void. Punched a hole in it with her fist !

E6205CC458AF6D054F91E2FDAB5B23993A7768AA

The II also got dockingbeamzapped. Beware stations-as-defense-platforms-for-the-Gate-users !

Other strange thing, the Konno prototype, which was also here at the Gate, got, er, spirited very far, at around 1200 km from the sector center. She however boosts seemingly efficiently as she joins back the center at a speed oscillating between 1900 and 3300 m/s.

7E14A5F03B4E25ADA1D64073168476A86B550044

She has however let go of one of her Kibaddles, which was promptly replaced, causing the fighter to go orphaned as the squad was full.

To be continued ?

Seems the Windows 10 patch has not fixed the virtual memory issue at all ! Three weeks of waiting for nothing ! What did they ever work on ?! Cruel irony as Avorion's last patch made the game way more stable connection-wise (but less game-wise? Honestly it may be Win10's VM crap's fault) and way faster.

However, I think I'll be able to play Avorion again because I pinpointed my latest Bellator-class Superdestroyer as a cause :D.

Apparently, making too large ships causes memory leaks or excessive usage, which Win10's problem exacerbates. I wonder why, as my designs are very simple. I may have hit that "making a huge block, causing the game to crash" spot, and really early at that.

I hope the Win10 VM thing will be rectified once I get into the Inner Sphere and make my first Bellator-class in survival, or else I'm going to get blocked again in my progress... and almost at the core too. Though, it may take a very long while...

On second thought, I think the memory leak is due to the levelable crew array (the CrewMan system) going past 32768, from a 16-bit integer into a 32-bit integer. I remember having gone past that limit when preparing her for colonization of the Inner Sphere.

Anyone having problems with ships going past 32768 crew ?

I have problems with memory but its the size that counts.

I wanted to solve the problem by making hollow ships. That way I could make them bigger with less mass.

But it seems it  has something to do with the way this game calculates volume. Bigger pieces have bigger volume wich calculates more difficult when different numbers meet.

Like a 2x2x2 ship is simple for an integrity field genrator to calulate the new stronger values. With a 100x60x60 ship with so many different kind of blocks (hull/armour/glass/shield etc) it will take longer to calculate.  Im not good at explaining this, im sorry, but I hope you understand what Im trying to say.

When Im building my new titan ship (Trypticon 4) it takes a while to place just a block of crew-quarters, removing a block takes even longer!

For this ship I had to buy 8gb extra memory because my pc froze when building (until episode 8)

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, I'm not sure, since my ships' blocks counts are hilariously low (my Bellator's block count, less than 3000, is still less than her turrets' block count, and less than two Marikas')... but that "its the size that counts" may be the source of the problem.

Since almost all of Avorion functions with those [expletive] floating point numbers, divisions by zero and weird loopy behaviors in calculations may happen and turn easy calculations into very hard ones past a certain number scale mismatch (or maybe some of the variables' types change from 32-bit float to 64-bit float to ensure precise calculation).

It may also be caused by enlarged textures (which would explain why two Marikas and a Konno do not make an asteroid-rich yard sector full of various prototypes go extra laggy, but a single Bellator in an empty sector does),

I'll try some "megastructure" tests after holidays~, alongside microBellators (to ascertain the "scale mismatch" problem) and megaKaamthaars (to contain more than 32768 CrewMen on the smallest possible ship).