Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Specific Block Scale

Unome

Is there a guide on how a block works the best? From my understanding, some blocks like the engine block preform better by volume. While  other blocks like solar panels preform better by surface area. What about directional thrusters or just thrusters... What about all of other blocks?

Thanks in advanced

Everything works (better) by volume (so the bigger it is from any dimension the better) with some exceptions:

• Surface-based: Solar Panels (which by the way works wonders as armor once integrity fielded, they have an honest amount of hit points, so making them as thick as usual hull/armor is good practice unless you make internal "millefeuilles" who are really expensive unless the ship itself is huge)
  • Three-way size-reduced: Cargo and Torpedo Storage, where only an interior part is accounted for, so they work better as cubes (making long or large parallepipeds is inefficient). Computer Cores seems to also function this way, though, incredibly, Crew Quarters are purely volume-based so your crew can live in 0,1 meter high-and-large tubes without problems but not those demanding computers.
  • Two-way size-reduced: Hangar blocks which are similar to Cargo blocks but only in two of three dimensions, the third being the "depth" (so cubes and large parallepipeds are better than long ones). There is also a threshold (12 by 12 by whatever) to have access to size-8 fighters which are the biggest at the moment :). 12x12x16 is enough for the full 120, if I remember it well.
  • Utility-based: Torpedo Shafts. I don't know how they work, but I assume they need a minimum of NxNxN for a N-size torpedo so they'd be better as cubes, but I may be mistaken. By the same classification Hangars are also utility-based by way of minimum fighter size.

Thrusters may change in efficiency when you change their shape at equal volume because the center of the thruster gets farther or nearer from the center of the ship and/or change the ship shape/center-of-mass location which alters the distance-to-center-ratios.

Directional Thrusters are optimally placed when they are perpendicular (in their thrust) and placed far from the ship’s centre of mass (CoM).

Centre of mass is shown by the multi-coloured 3d X.  I think it shows as red-blue-green.

Now, the interesting thing about CoM is that it is always changing.  10t here, 12t there ... etc.  So, as you expand and build your ship, the CoM will automatically reset with each block added.

One technique to optimize your Directional Thrusters is to design your ship on paper or in a digital spreadsheet.  That way, you can dismiss the dynamics of the CoM, because you will have already identified the finished CoM, and you can place your Diectional Thrusters as per your plan.

Cheers 8)