Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Trimaran Hull Designs

Warrax

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the spoiler is a glimpse of Algaard II in draft.

This ship will be in the Elite Titan Ship Class.  Once complete, the ship will be well over the Processing Power requirement for 15 modules.

My Ship Classification can be found here along with links to other suggested systems.

I am just in the design stage with Algaard II, and nearing the final touches.

I may begin construction as early as tomorrow.  According to my draft, the ship is 260+ long, and well over 130 blocks wide.  Wing tip to wing tip, the ship will have a depth of roughly 48 blocks.

I thought some players may be interested in the HOW, so this image will give you a glimpse.

By scrolling way down, you can see the ship in silhouette.

pw1Ci78.png

I have failed in ship builds a few times, so I do as much work as I can in excel.

Part of my technique is to render various angle profiles, finalize those, and then I map out the ship components.  As you can see, that stage is imminent.

The most challenging part will be the Tie-Fighter style wings.  I have made them before (see Templates).

Regards

This is the original design and post of Algaard II.  This ship has since been redesigned, in part, because of the valued feedback from other players.

If you click the crossed out link (below), it will take you to the NEW posting of the revisioned Algaard II.

This post contains the original pictures.

Just posted Algaard II here.

Or refer to Table of Contents, this thread.

Algaard II

Elite Titan, 15 Modules Slots, oversized

sHaK090.jpg

The Algaard II has been a long time coming ...

As you will see in the conception design below, the dream of this ship required some planning and a particular set of skills to meet all design specs:

• High maneuverability;
  • Substantial power generation;
  • Very high acceleration and Very high max speed; and
  • Integral wing design.

"I wanted an oversized 15-module ship to handle like an 8 module ship. 

In other words, I did NOT want to feel BIG"

It was a tall order ...

In-game, I knew it would be important to enjoy piloting Algaard II.  I think the engines need a little more work, the front end certainly needs a tune up ... but aside from that, the stats are crazy !! 

Everything on the list above has been achieved.  I surprised myself.  She is much faster than I had dreamed possible, and she spins quickly. 

As bonus, her stopping power is incredible.

By far, the Algaard II is my favorite build.  In terms of sheer scale, she exceeds the 15 module requirement by nearly doubling it.

I hope you enjoy her also.

Algaard II in several poses:

EMhWRfq.jpg

25zMq86.jpg

fIpJqcI.jpg

U5ThjZN.jpg

ZjsHoay.jpg

syZbcaR.jpg

Duof6qD.jpg

t68ds6w.jpg

2VOe70W.jpg

Algaard II Stats and Speed Recording:

8894m/s - wow !!jRPrm6e.jpg

vGzZ4bO.jpg

Algaard II hanging out with a Miner (fleet)

Ip0xKDi.jpg

ziXeBef.jpg

7F0zd8p.jpg

YIs3grI.jpg

Algaard II' s Concept Sketch

XgaRKyz.png

Cheers :)

3VbHRyf.jpg

Awesome !!  :o

Algaard II is great build, the lines on her are incredible.  And the use of the Tie-Wings very cool.  Overall, it seems a very well executed design.

The stats for Algaard have me salivating !!

"I wanted an oversized 15-module ship to handle like an 8 module ship. 

In other words, I did NOT want to feel BIG"

I agree with you, the engines in this version of Algaard II seem a little ... underwhelming ...

In part, I think the engines are too small, compared with the scale of the rest of the ship.

And the square or rectangular-ness of these current engines just ... i dunno, seem a little off ...

I mean, you had honourably mentioned Le Dev Canadien.

Maybe merge some ideas from your engine design on Avaris with the beautiful concepts of Le Dev Canadien, (see below).

Here, maybe this will help explain what i mean.

Warrax's Avaris (taken from your post):

QFEjI9k.jpg

vP43qpK.jpg

HMCS Epimetheus (by Dev le Canadien):

vhGMbwi.jpg

Heya Jester

I totally agree with your criticism - thank you.

Yes, I have always wanted to incorporate the concepts that Dev le Canadien has developed.  He has some unique ideas that look gorgeous.

(For anyone looking for the portfolio from Dev le Canadien, you can see it here.)

In taking your advice, I chopped off the entire tail from Algaard II.  I've extended and widened her back end.  I've started my effort and got as far as this (see below).

And yeah, this is a similar technique I used for Avaris.

The void still present in the rear centre (see photo) is where I will put together an inspired engine design (um ... hopefully inspired, lol).

So far, I only have the Wing Engines completed.

Thanx again,

Cheers

rh0WfXZ.jpg

IFGeDIa.jpg

Some good lessons learned ...

Before fully reposting, Algaard II I wanna play Avorion !!

I always appreciate criticism and feedback.  :P    Thank you.

The spoiler contains a pic of the final result. 

NFyKO26.jpg

Thank you, Korr

I have started to call it the Engine of Sauron, lol.  And of course, I would be remiss if i did not cite my source of inspiration (with a few links already to his body of work in this thread):  Le Dev Canadien.

What I find most striking about this engine design is that changes in the viewing angle will coincide changes in colour.  I have long been inspired by Le Dev Canadien's engine design, and in my effort, I had hoped to enhance the beautiful effects of the original design. 

Since I've started playing with the refreshed design for Algaard II, I have sometimes been briefly mesmerized by the effect of the engines.

From blue to a mix of colours, then to a full bloom of reds ... yumm !!

Below I have featured the Engine of Sauron ...  ;D

(Oh - and Korr - I have sent you the xml for the updated version of Algaard II)

:D  Stay healthy !!

OH2B18m.jpg

l2h6XNp.jpg

Ts6geJ7.jpg

Yn9XQaV.jpg

These images may also be found in my Templates Post, under Engines.

World Building    :o

Hello everyone

I found this resource on youtube this morning - Shrike Gaming.  Content-wise, some of his videos focus on World-Building and Economy.  I value Shrike's ideas and insights, because I do not know the game that well.  I know a bit about ship-building, and I am eager to learn more about the world-building elements.

So, thank you Shrike !!  I enjoy your video posts !!

Here, below is a brief listing of his more recent videos. 

If you check'em out maybe drop in a like, or even subscribe to his channel.

Shrike Gaming Video Links

• - Ep. 15.  The Brotherhood. Artifact Delivery
  • - Ep.13.  I Am A Bloody Pirate Pt.2 . Boarding Stations.
  • - Ep 12.  Fighters
  • - Shrike's Ships On Steam Workshop
  • - Setting Up A Home Base

Thanks for the xml on Algard 2.  She’s a sic beauty.

I am trying to bild my own set of tie-wings. Even when i reverse engineer yourAlgard, i cant figure out wth you are doing to get all the wing”s lines so smooth in the transitions. The outside corner was pretty easy:  Corner 1 seems to work fine.

But the inverse edge - i’m like wtf?  And the change up for the tips, that smoothly ramp up and down - geez !!  Lol, wow, wtf??  :o

Can you drop a  few pics for me to help out?  :P

Tie Wings Building - One Approach ... Part 1

Hi Korr

First of all, thank you for your question ... I am sure there are other Avorion Players out there, and Ship Builders, so they are welcome to augment what I am suggesting here as technique.  What I am about to share is just ONE way to do it - certainly, its not the only way (or even the best way).  Of course, the BEST way is the one YOU are most comfortable using.

Let me start by saying that I can only show you how I learned how to do the wings.  The reason that I wanna talk about learning is because the technique of building the Tie-Wings follows the skill elements that allow me to build the Tie-Wings.

Bear with me, but the learning process leading up to Tie-Wing is a bit like this:

• Build Planning
  • Break-down and elemental build of Corner 1
  • Break-down and elemental build of a Corner 2 (not in this post)
  • Angled Wall construction (not in this post)
  • Angled and Tapered Wall construction (not covered in this post)

Build Planning

So, if you look under Core Plan in this linked post, you will lsee examples of a high-level plan and a detailed plan.  To do the Wings, I need to plan it out.  Scales, heights, depths, width, when does this start, etc.  Surely, some people can do this on the fly, but I cannot.  You might be able to skip this, but for me, its an essential.

Another thing about planning it out, is that this leading effort, this little bit of extra effort saves me hours of building time (I think).

Now, onto ...

Corner 1

To build the Tie Wings, I needed to develop some foundational skills.  Of course, I did not know what the end result would be when I started building ships in Avorion, but this my journey, how I taught myself, and the only way I know to help some one else.

In the series of pics below, you can see a uniform cascade of little squares.  In the end they are covered in a smooth surface that appears to be one solid piece of Corner 1.

So, in this example, the Corner 1 I was trying to scale up to was 12 high, 24 wide and 24 deep.  So, each piece within the Corner 1 was 2 wide, 1 high and 2 depth.  When placing these blocks in series, you will eventually bump into the edge.  This is when and when I place the Corner 2 and finally the (smaller) Corner 1s.

onJ7pks.jpg

sg8Fwe0.jpg

vso0S19.jpg

Fmp8giq.jpg

9VSrM5T.jpg

As you can see in the pics, to build up your Corner 1, you will need smaller Corner 1s and similar sized Corner 2s.

Tie Wings

From here, once you get a firm grasp of doing Corner 1s, try building up a Corner 3.  Once you master both, you will be ready to take on a Tie Wing.

So, Korr, i hope this is making sense. 

Of course, if other Builders are passing thru, you too are welcome to post questions or to outline your technique/approach.

One final tip - while building - MIDDLE SNAP - is my best friend.  Middle Snap allows me to flow through the whole build, to easily align my parts, and allows me to keep my mind on other details.

Thanks

Cheers

Tie Wings Building - One Approach ... Part 2

Hey Korr

Sorry about the delay in a full response, I had to get another screenshot to explain this next section.

EtHVBFb.jpg

In your Build Function, lay out a series of beams or parts or whatever, and inset them in a consistent manner.  In the pic above, I think they are 15 long, and 1 wide and 1 high each.

The various parts are inset by 1 block in two dimensions.

Steps:

1.  Ok, with this set up, add edged pieces where you can (short sides and then the long sides);

2.  Then, using Corner 3 pieces fill in the gaps.

Now, this is the tricky part (see pics below) ...

3.  To finish the underside (inverse), you will likely need 2 pieces of Corner 3, because the angles of your two Edge Pieces will not match up.  Play around with it, jiggle the pieces around. 

To guide your fitting, you basically wanna link your corner edges ...

xuOTfVq.jpg

WwT1Oyx.jpg

This one is key - see the doubled up Corner 3s?  The two Corner 3s are facing alternate directions, but link the corner tips ...

The reason, again, for the doubling up of the Corner 3s is because of the Inverse angles of your two edge pieces - they are not slanting in at the same direction.  You need to adjust for this ...

z8tZWHw.jpg

Very hard to explain, but that's how I approach it.

And, a finalized build ... (this is the initial build of Algaard)

BpnNDoP.jpg

Good luck, lemme know how ya make out.

Cheers

Æristo

Titan - Freighter,    Elite Titan - Freighter  and    Super Elite Titan Freighter

15, 15+, and 15++ Module Upgrade Slots

nNtmInX.jpg

The Æristo is loosely modeled after the Reugeot 905.  It has been a bit of a journey to complete her.

In the end, I am quite happy with these three freighter sister ships (additional stats are below - all stats are un-adjusted):

• Æristo as a Super Elite Titan has  1,600,000  Cargo Capacity
  • Æristo as an Elite Titan has  672,000  Cargo Capacity
  • Æristo as a Titan has  196,000  Cargo Capacity

My purposes and use of this ship has changed in recent weeks of playing.  I do not trade as much any more ...

Now, I mine my @$$ off with a small fleet (4 ships) of Ærduus and I build factories and mines.

Boasting a substantial hangar bay, and a tonne of crew - I use this as a platform to stock new factories and stations with cargo shuttles and any needed crew.

Its a blast playing this way, and the Æristo is now an essential part of that style of play.

What surprised me the most was her handling ... despite her huge proportions, she is extremely maneuverable and stops quickly.

When not actively using Æristo, she sits in one of my sectors, functioning as a massive warehouse.

In her hold, I keep a variety of things, including a massed inventory of all the parts I need for Turret Building.

[Post Design Comment:  The lights on the storage panels, and the front and rear of the ship function as indentifiers for my various Freighters/Miners, so I can visually distinguish various ships.  This is particularly helpful with my four (4) Miners, where I use the Arduus design.  I will highlight this in a separate post. 

However, in-game the lights indicate the status of the cargo - what exactly it means, well you will need to consult the LoadMaster, the ship Captain, or their procedures guidelines.  lol]    ::)

Æristo pics

FVLM0db.jpg

IwHCEfI.jpg

yNSHH8F.jpg

sDQ4FJk.jpg

TNeRvC9.jpg

pAHa0FN.jpg

JpltooK.jpg

vzKkWFK.jpg

3hWksrH.jpg

fNcpvd8.jpg

vQdMpz6.jpg

Stats for all three classes of Æristo

Titan Class

SSVtXfk.jpg

Titan, Elite Class

FTk0rQr.jpg

Super Elite

7Jwmkq7.jpg

Æristo at her maxxed out cruising speeds

Engineers at 100%:

dLLpjML.jpg

Engineers at 130%:

nx21OSa.jpg

Æristo mixing it up with Crab

WWtG0vU.jpg

EzvrPU7.jpg

sDVbsnJ.jpg

aNVueQv.jpg

Loving this game !!

Cheers  ;D

OMG - the Aristo is a beast !!  I think the Titan Class version will be good enough for my game.  Besides at 28 Million, she's big enough and still very affordable.

Yup, I got the xml's.  Danke, merci, gracias.    :)

This is already on the Avorion Wiki and probly in the forums somewhere, but is a reference tool tat i keep close at hand.  I am not posting my own ships, so thought this would be a good spot for it to share.

rpzJ626.png

I will update this image if there are errors or has been updated.

Thanks, that's great!

... It's really a huge help when you're beginning with that game, as I still have not much of an idea of what makes ships good or bad so far, as I don't know if their successes and failures are due to their design, or to beginner's luck and bad choices.

The updated design of Algaard is very nice.  I noticed too, her bow was enhanced. 

Good job !!

I am wondering though - do you still have plans to make an interpretation of the Tie Interceptor.  With the good execution of design in the Algaard, I would love to see what you come up with next.

You had posted comments on the Tie Interceptor in a former post, and wondered if I could send you or post some design suggestions here?

I am wondering though - do you still have plans to make an interpretation of the Tie Interceptor.  With the good execution of design in the Algaard, I would love to see what you come up with next.

You had posted comments on the Tie Interceptor in a former post, and wondered if I could send you or post some design suggestions here?

Yes, absolutely, please post - thanx for the offer, Jester.

My game-play has recently re-visited Fighters ... so I am in need of a ship to play that role.

Fighters are now a must for me  ;)

My next efforts will be looking at a Titan-SE design, which is a recent update in my Ship Classification System.

As a heads up, here are my intended ship features:

• As an end-game ship design, it will specifically consider and apply what certain the Xsotan Artifacts (XSTN-K) bring;
  • Hangars will be featured;
  • Hull endurance will be exceptional;
  • Shield endurance will be exceptional;
  • High maneuverability and top speed;

So, basically, everything offered by Algaard will be enhanced further.

Other design ideas are welcome from other Avorion Players and Ship Builders.  Please post your suggestions. 

The final XML will be made available to all contributors.

So, per my last post, I have a new ship on the way ... Avorto.

If you know your Latin, avorto is a play on the verb which translates to parry, divert  or disturb.

Jester, your suggestions are most welcome, and I thought these profiles might help us along ... lemme know your thoughts ...

Avorto in sillouette and top-down.

Overall, the base drawing sees Avorto at 450 long and about 250 wide (in blocks).

The main hull has a block height of about about 72.

The tie wings coming at a total of about 140 block height.

813pCEu.png

J9zOUPa.png

For comparison, I have included these sillouettes ...

Algaard II silouette

X977zep.png

Unpublished design

NSZjQ9G.png

Of course, I am open to suggestions from other players ...

Thanx, cheers

So, if i am seeing this right, the Avorto is basically double the width and height to the dimensions of the Algaard?  But not as long?

I like how the main hull in the Avorto sillowette is a bit fatter.

I cant post a pic at this moment, but the tie wings i have been looking at have a square shaped negative  space.

I suggest rounding it out, and then detail that negative space with venting or something.

I will try to post a sketch or better yet, find a pic that can explain it better