Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Trimaran Hull Designs

Warrax

Trimaran Hull Design & Design Philosophy 

Trimarans are, technically, three (3) hulled ships.  If you recall your nautical terms, Catamarans are twin-hulled.

I focus on Trimaran designs because they are well suited to optimize Directional Thrusters.

It has always been a my goal in design that each ship has greater than 1.0 rad in the three maneuver stats.  Alas, I failed once I got to 10+ ship modules.  Still ... some designs do feature greater than 1.5 rad (l/r, u/d, and roll).

Apart from maneuverability, the designs are minimalistic in “detailing”, and the visual appeal (to my eye) is instead found in the bold, compelling in shape, contour.  I have found with each build, things get easier and the builds are faster.  However, I usually get bogged down in the tweaking -  lol  ::)

Another reason why I use minimalistic designs is because massive numbers of blocks for a ship (say 12,000+ blocks) can sometimes cause game-rendering issues in large battles.

I am always scanning for good ideas. 

All Avorion Players are welcome to use my XMLs (once posted).  Known or active players are welcome to request the ship XMLs from me directly.

We are a good community with fine ship designers, so when you use and post pics or XMLs, please be sure to mention the author, source, or who gave you the inspiration.  I will do my best to do the same.

Enjoy the game !!

pBAiHzA.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thread Table of Contents

General

Reply      Link to Topic

0            Trimaran Hull: Design & Philosophy

1            Ship Classifications (+ToC)

2            Inspirational Artwork

3            Citations:  Particular Mention of Other Designers

*  Dev le Canadien

*  Minumum255

*  Zajc

4            Designs and Templates

Ship Designs

Reply      Link to Topic

5            Crab          Presented Classification(s):  Miner;  Scavenger;  Scout

6            Argento                                                                      https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,5204.msg28327.html#msg28327   

7            Argus                                                                          https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,5204.msg28328.html#msg28328

8            Algoma                                                                      https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,5204.msg28329.html#msg28329

9            Aurum        Presented Classification:  Corvette

10          Audaces    Presented Classification:  Frigate

11          Aegoran    Presented Classification:  Destroyer

12          Avaris          Presented Classification:  Cruiser   

13          Ascentia                                                                    https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,5204.msg28334.html#msg28334

14          Aryus                                                                          https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,5204.msg28335.html#msg28335

15          Aegis                                                                            https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,5204.msg28336.html#msg28336

16          Aerius                                                                          https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,5204.msg28337.html#msg28337

17          Algaard                                                                      https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,5204.msg28338.html#msg28338

18          Algaard II  Presented Classification:  Titan E (or Elite Titan]

19          Freighters and Haulers    Presented Classification:  Various

20          Lessons Learned

21          Future Works

Ships Classification System

My ship classification system is partly inspired by historical and current naval classification, while others are borrowed (ie. stolen) from various ideas elsewhere.

Modules        Ship Classification        Processing Power

1                        Miner                                        <51m3

2                        Scavenger                                >51m3

3                        Scout                                          128m3

4                        Skirmisher                                320m3

5                        Fighter                                        800m3

6                        Interceptor                              2000m3

7                        Corvette                                    5000m3

8                        Frigate                                      12,500m3

9                        Destroyer                                19.780m3

10                      Cruiser                                      31,250m3

11                      Battle Cruiser                      43,065m3

12                      Battle Ship                              59.350m3

13                      Juggernaut                            78,125m3

14                      Dreadnought                      107,555m3

15                      Titan                                          148,400m3

15+                    Elite Titan                            +200,000m3

15++                  Super-Elite Titan            +1,200,000m3

For other ideas, see - https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,1439.msg28206.html#msg28206

Inspirational Artworks, Sourced (where possible)

A wonderful source for ideas is Deviant Art.

Of course this forum, and the Avorion Workshop are both great for our community.

From Kailyze (Deviant Art)

hYwRo0i.jpg

and

vcnL4IM.jpg

From Ignus Dei, General Items (Deviant Art)

ZODAPND.jpg

6DsvHf3.jpg

VsngXMT.jpg

3QTYLja.jpg

From Ignus Dei, Sins of a Solar Empire inspired (Deviant Art)

NODgHFj.jpg

rwSXOnF.jpg

and

bWLaZ20.jpg

From Unknown (Deviant Art)

a7sUo3C.jpg

From Pinarci (Deviant Art)

nIRXPvP.jpg

and

WMo6Ixr.jpg

Bad-ass Tie Interceptor (source, google, lol)

kDM7kKG.jpg

Enjoy !!  ;)

Citations:  Particular Mention of Other Designers

Dev le Canadien

Dev le Canadien's designs have made an indelible impression on my future designs.  In particular, his colour banding along with the use of glimpse exposure are wonderful.  Likewise, in this image below, his engine designs are elegant yet simple to construct.

So ... Dev le Canadien, I hope you are still designing and continue to share.  Cheers

bsUkOtm.jpg

Minimum255

I have a post that delves into Minimum255's design of the Crab, below

Of course, I wanted to mention him among the other esteemed designers that have caught my eye.

You will find Minimum255's post from the forums here

Zajc

Zajc features a host of his work here

His works of themed gothic design, include an exquisite statue.

I sometimes include the statue, as it reminds me of martial intent and power.

Zajc's Original ...

Jn4xNVk.jpg

My interpretations of his design

qIooc7J.jpg

In context

0odX9E9.jpg

Again, in context

fJNQpNW.jpg

Templates, and By Design ...

Templates

During the design phase, i will use a spreadsheet to capture my planned layout.  The process captures the visualization, and serves a key purpose:  relative scaling.  With the postings that are to come - yes - my ship designs are “simple” - but.  The digital design phase allows me to change the amount and placement of key systems, as well as scaling.

Scaling in particular ... such as the thickness of the “wings”, spacing, length of engines, and priority decisions to optimize maneuverability.  As i mentioned in the openning post of this thread, my detailing is not so great, so the shape and look of the ship is my primary tool to try and create a compelling look and feel.

Designs

I rely on a core of concepts.  Mostly, i rely on the Tri-Hull form, in a single plane.

I think once all ships classifications (from Miner to Elite Titan) are complete, i might go back and apply details and features.

If interested, i would welcome anyone who wanted to add in and share any detailing XMLs of the ships.

These for now, more are coming ...

Warr Banner

Recent addition onto Æristo (a freighter)

6PwHcGJ.jpg

Plum version on Aurum

PObFZXz.jpg

Engine Nozzle

FgMmBXg.jpg

VRZbMWI.jpg

3baAuTB.jpg

I especially like the bent design

XAbW1lR.jpg

These ones - of the Eye of Sauron - were posted 1 April 2020.

OH2B18m.jpg

l2h6XNp.jpg

Ts6geJ7.jpg

Tie-Interceptor

Finally got 'round to making a (dedicated) Tie Interceptor Wing Panel

YPRILBN.jpg

H8HBTPt.jpg

8csdhBQ.jpg

JYggLbI.jpg

7hcxeNP.jpg

gbJZN0X.jpg

q3J6lnl.jpg

Core Plans

Argento is small.  The finalized ship has 4 upgrade slots

Its not impressive, I just want to outline my technique, especially as we get into larger and more challenging design results.

2O3MFBI.png

On the other hand, Algaard II is an Elite Titan:

pw1Ci78.png

Cheers

The Crab

Presented in Miner, Scavenger and Scout Classifications

• 1 Slot, 2 Slots and 3 Slots, respectively

99TnU2S.jpg

Original Designer - Minimum255 - his thread

I am sure a tonne of work was needed to design and build this ship.  It's featured here in my thread for two reasons ...

First, this ship is a pleasure to cruise around in, whenever I start in a fresh universe.  As  a starter, I have never found a design superior in this class.  So, Minimum255, I hope you are around, and read this post.  Would enjoy hearing from you.

The second reason, is that when I start a fresh game, I am mining, I am lurking around trying to find those initial deposits of Titanium.  And this ship looks like a miner ... so its super fun.

And yeah, its NOT a Trimaran (multi-hull), but its my thread, so I can break my own rules, lol.  ;)

Here are the changes that I applied to the Original Design:

• Converted all Avorion and other superior metals to Titanium or Iron;
  • Removed the auxiliary instrumentation on one of the operational arms that Minimum255 applied to his second version;
  • Removed/converted some of the interior items - like HyperDrive Computer and shields - to render the design to be more suited and accessible as a pure starter/mining ship; and
  • Changed some of the colouring to include the Yellow Tips on the operating claws.
  • I might make additional changes (later) to improve the L/R and U/D rads.
  • Jester supplied an additional enhancement to the L/R, U/D Rads for the Crab 3 (Scout Class).  Thank you, Jester !!

Again - I bow to Minimum255's original design.  I love this ship, and it defines my game starts. 

So, thank you !!

I will wait until I have received permission from Minimum255 that I may post this XML.

You can of course refer to his post and look for the XML that way.

The Crab

Miner, Scavenger and Scout Class in stylin' action poses

(All three classes look about the same, just a bit of a size difference)

19cVeMO.jpg

8yGjIEu.jpg

7JUH4J2.jpg

Sr4FN1W.jpg

09T3saP.jpg

lq4pI8Q.jpg

CZ7rE1c.jpg

5MaKMmZ.jpg

FUQI1P0.jpg

TWF3IPi.jpg

jsRyFWg.jpg

5BRQPQP.jpg

62HhJid.jpg

PyEaM5U.jpg

zqkrl46.jpg

And finally,

C7d8ZXa.jpg

The Crab

Miner Class, Costs and Stats - One (1) Module Slot

CeXiLu4.jpg

The Crab

Scavenger Class, Costs and Stats - Two (2) Module Slots

fMTdE0O.jpg

The Crab

Scout Class, Costs and Stats - Three (3) Module Slots

The Scout Class turning Rads were enhanced by Jester

glmbkZE.jpg

Cheers

Audaces

Frigate Class - 8 Module Upgrade Slots

Eh3UAAk.jpg

A strange thing happened as I was constructing the Audaces ... it went too big.

In the end, I resized it down, by 11% and also up by 8%. 

So, the Aegoran is essentially Audaces' larger sister.

As I mentioned in another thread, if you upsize your ship, you may find that that maneuverability decreases, slightly.

On downsizing, the maneuverability is slightly enhanced.

Anyway, I got two ships from one build.  I do not normally do this., but this time i was so close 8 slots and 9 slots that i decided to make this exception.  I usually prefer the variety in refreshed ship designs and optimized ship handling.

Audaces Pics

4qFQzgY.jpg

FIidGiL.jpg

2D1ZE8z.jpg

J2UMDZB.jpg

4rJJi2S.jpg

Audaces Stats and Related Costs

14RSFNb.jpg

PqCn8QI.jpg

Cheers  8)

Aegoran

Destroyer Class - 9 Module Upgrade Slots

sJ25sTJ.jpg

Again, the Aegoran is the larger Sister ship of the Audaces.

I was a little over-zealous while building, landing very close to 9 upgrade slots.  So I wound up resizing both ships to get closer to the ship scale I wanted  ::)

(I got more than I deserved ... lol ... two ships for the price of one, lol}

Aegoran Pics

NCb10Ar.jpg

YwuONVw.jpg

OUzg9ZE.jpg

373pngs.jpg

2UQVj3y.jpg

5DiojQB.jpg

sYEHvXH.jpg

t16908L.jpg

3xTx9xL.jpg

buPOVKv.jpg

jgXBalJ.jpg

Aegoran Stats and Related Costs

BQJgUk7.jpg

3uzvFm4.jpg

Cheers

Avaris

Cruiser Class - 10 Module Upgrade Slots

ShppmLJ.jpg

The Avaris is a significant departure from my previous Trimaran Designs.

For this build, I carried the main body junction over the main branch of the hull (core).  Essentially, the inverse of the main body of the ship is more symmetrical (to my eye) and the whole ship is of one theme.

The engine nozzles, here, are also a first for me.  I was prompted by suggestions and feedback from other Avorion Gamers, and I appreciate the feedback.

The engine nozzles were a breeze to design and incorporate late in the build stage.

I am using them as a pre-built component.  However, I need to experiment more with it, as this initial attempt is far too linear for my taste.  I will try to build in a little more nuances with my next build - and NOT tinker with this current build, lol

Avaris Pics

3fFxsSs.jpg

FXn95TA.jpg

Sb0i2sb.jpg

4Weizjr.jpg

PGYeYKQ.jpg

XfBGSEB.jpg

N64gsXg.jpg

sJXldSb.jpg

rVQe1ty.jpg

J9grcW4.jpg

Avaris Stats and Related Costs

eyJLq8Z.jpg

Cheers

Algaard II

Elite Titan, 15 Modules Slots, oversized

nxrwPnP.jpg

The Algaard II has been a long time coming ...

As you will see in the conception design below, the dream of this ship required some planning and a particular set of skills to meet all design specs:

• High maneuverability;
  • Substantial power generation;
  • Very high acceleration and Very high max speed; and
  • Integral wing design.

"I wanted an oversized 15-module ship to handle like an 8 module ship. 

In other words, I did NOT want to feel BIG."

It was a tall order ...

In-game, I knew it would be important to enjoy piloting Algaard III think the engines need a little more work, the front end certainly needs a tune up [Happy to say FIXED with the design update, lol] ... but aside from that, the stats are crazy !! 

Everything on the list above has been achieved.  I surprised myself.  She is much faster than I had dreamed possible, and she spins quickly. 

As bonus, her stopping power is incredible.

By far, the Algaard II is my favorite build.  In terms of sheer scale, she exceeds the 15 module requirement by nearly doubling it.

I hope you enjoy her also.

Algaard II in several poses:

9YXSnX1.jpg

5B8AMEL.jpg

yhKNLfz.jpg

f5qhkzi.jpg

yGGiff9.jpg

oWz1pK5.jpg

079T8fI.jpg

R26EjXd.jpg

qr4v1u0.jpg

3rXlvRC.jpg

b73C8dM.jpg

Fy44Gth.jpg

ooHGi4o.jpg

Algaard II Stats and Speed Recording:

(Speed from Original Design, Stats are from NEW design)

VoBUsSs.jpg

8894m/sjRPrm6e.jpg

Algaard II' s Concept Sketch

XgaRKyz.png

Cheers :)

poHUBzf.jpg

9FolccV.jpg

Freighter Series of Ships:  Æcyron,  Ærduus,  Æristo

Available thru Ship Modules 5 thru 9 and then 15 to 15++

Freighters have always played a significant role in my Avorion Games.  In pre 1.0 games, I would Trade my way to riches.  As I neared my end game, I would visit various planet systems and buy up all the Trinium I could find.  Back then, I hated to Mine.

Since 1.0, the Mining System is wondrously fun.  Now, I get rich by deploying a small fleet of well equipped Miners.  The photo above features my three gatherers.

And in recent days, i have started to build Factories and Mines.  My game-play has certainly evolved ...

If Mining or Factory Building is not yet a part of your game ... maybe give it a try.  If you decide Mining or Factory Systems are for you and you are on the market seeking a solid Freighter, then you are maybe in for a treat ...

Æcyron, as created by Jester, is presented here:

• With 5 modules, she boasts a Storage Capacity of 641;
  • With 6 modules, she boasts a Storage Capacity of 878.

Ærduus, is presented here:

• With 8 modules, she boasts a Storage Capacity of 17,470;
  • With 9 modules, she boasts a Storage Capacity of 34,780.

Æristo, is now complete, and presented here:

• As a Titan, 15 modules, she has a 196,000 Cargo Capacity;
  • As an Elite Titan, 15+ modules, she has 672,000 Cargo Capacity;
  • As a Super Elite Titan, 15++ modules, she has 1,600,000 Cargo Capacity !!    :o

The reason I skip module sizes 10 thru 14 is because those sizes I do not commonly use.  When actively trading, I often have a massive inventory worth hundreds of millions.  10 to 14 Module Freighters would just be too small for me. 

At the same time, as dedicated Fleet-Miners, large Fleet Ships (10s or larger) are just a pain in the @$$ - they do not fleet well.  They often get hung up and stall out (at least that has been my experience). 

Æristo comes with a high store capacity, high velocity, and a surprising amount of maneuverability  The Æristo's design is ideally suited for players who are heavily into Trading or Building Factories and Mines.

Again, I would like to acknowledge the contributions of Jester.

Thank you  :D

awbM8SE.jpg

Lessons Learned

6fPtnpt.jpg

These are some of my lessons learned:

1.  Avoid using ANY blocks with 0.05 scales, as these are NOT naturally divisible by the Avorion Game Software.

2.  Build from the inside out.

3.  Anything is possible.  ... Hmm ... just stop ... think about it.

4.  Borrowing from other designers is a good thing - but give credit.  It's a community (not a competition).

5.  Use of a spreadsheet  in ship design and as an aid during in-game construction - then build it

6.  Jester pointed out that Cargo Hold blocks are optimally placed as one big blob, rather than in scattered chucks.  (thank you for that helpful suggestion, Jester).

7.  Failure is "failure" if you learning nothing.

Future Works

Among the most challenging to build in Avorion is off-angles, and contiguous contouring.

So far, I had only completed the Tie Wings.

[image posting soon of my tie interceptor wings]

The body of a standard Tie design has been elusive, as I did not want to start working on something that needed to be round, only to wind up looking square-ish or clunky.

Here is a design that I may approach in the future. (It will may serve as my Elite Titan, with +200kk m3 Processing Power, with 15 Upgrade slots).

This version is less fraught with the inherent design challenges of a round body.

0YDimQ5.jpg

0RNX0PL.jpg

The flying buttress looks interesting, hoping to see you use it soon.

Are these examples of trimaran?  Is this the sort of thing you are going for?

Technically, not all multi-hulls are "trimarans".

84QXNvv.jpg

jr5hm5G.jpg

Sorry, I cannot remember who produced these.  I found both in the Avorion workshop.

Wow, that first one from Jester is awesome !

Maybe "Trimaran" is just the name of the faction :)

Hi Kamo

Yes, indeed.  That one is nice, and is also a great example of a multi-hull ship.

Certainly, Jester and everyone is welcome to post other ship pics that are cool designs.

Cheers