Guardian fighters not targeted by defense turrets

nbanyan

I was fighting the guardian on a PvE server with offensive weapons and salvage turrets loaded (overlap maxed on each) and no defensive turrets.

During the guardian fight, I let it spawn a third wave of adds at around 1 bar HP.  My auto-rail eventually finished it off, but I realized it had launched fighters.

I couldn't target them with the 'r' key but was eventually able to select one to verify it was Xoltan. I unequiped all my turrets and equiped anti-fighter turnets, but regardless of the turret setting (Defense, Attack, situational) they didn't fire as if they also couldn't target the fighters. I also tried equiping point defense chainguns and point defense lasers, but with no effect.

I managed to destroy the fighters by equiping 9k Omicron of anti-fighter turrets and spamming them manually at the offensive blasts. This took quite a long time as they seem to have a very high dodge rate.

I haven't played in PvP, but I assume the anti-fighter turrets are supposed to work like point defense turrets (set on 'defend' and it attacks nearby torpedoes and fighters).

• 3 weeks later...

Was struggling again to make the anti-fighter turrets work against Xsotan fighters.  Another player on the server said that to make the turrets work on the Xsotan I have to use the diplomatic window to decrease relations with the Xsotan.

I always assumed that turrets auto-attack based on the current disposition (attack if close to a hostile ship) rather than overall relations.  Forcing bad relations seems more like an annoying workaround rather than an intended behavior.