Avorion - Server System requirements & Experiences with Hosters

DestroNK

Heyho :)

After a long time and my last thread, posted at the very last day of 2017 ( https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php?topic=4335.0 ) I saw that a lot of stuff happened in here, which excites me very much :D Though I lost the fun of my current game (WoT) I decided to give Avorion another run and see what has changed :) Disadvantage is, that my old ppl who kept playing have no server anymore, advantage is I earn my own money and am a free man, plus have a few people that might be interested :D

So I'm planning to rent a server and let Avorion run on it.

Question 1) Which System Requirements does Avorion have? I mean the Server-only-Setup... I saw a lot of pages where you can rent a server and configure it, variable in number of players and RAM usage. I'd say that the Server should be fine for 5-10 players at one time. Will 1 or 2 GB be sufficient? Any further information around for that one, maybe some kind of calculation, including big wars, idling, boss fights and blah blah? If yes, please hand it in  ;)

Question 2) And I hope that this one here is allowed - if not, Admin please strike this question here out. No hate!  ;D

Does anyone have experience with Rented servers and can give me any feedback? For me there are a lot important facts, like latency, stability of the game, amount of players and ofc the price, also the options for getting / downloading the game files, installing plugins, uptime, multi-game-compatibility, option to choose between versions (newest beta unstable), a lot of setup options - if there are any .... well kind of stuff that should be important for you aswell. Also, I'd like to pay in form of Paysafecard, if possible. I found a few, just upon the descriptions currently the one from Nitrado seems to fit the best, but are there more experiences or better suggestions? If yes, please hand it in  ::)

Btw shoutout to the devs that so much stuff happened in the meantime, you guys are great!

I'm very excited!

-- DestroNK

I use Nitrado for my server.  It is pretty inexpensive and I've never had any issues with 5 people on at a time on the cheapest configuration.  They also offer good tech support, which is always a plus.

M‘key thanks for the feedback so far - did it happen that all 5 players were fighting at the same time on different sectors? Plus can you tell anything about my other mentioned „requirements“ ?

DestroNK

My experiences for this game have only been with dedicated servers but i can tell you some more about my findings with hosting the game, and the technicalities of it.

The game uses a few types of threads to run the game, starting with the worker threads. As the name says these keep everything that is loaded in memory running the best it can. Generator threads generate new sectors and their content, once that is loaded the worker threads take over.

Last you have script threads, which determines the amount of threads the scripting engine can use.

So in most cases high thread speeds and an ample supply of threads is what runs the game best, from my understanding. That has also been my findings, an i7 quad core at 4 ghz outperforms a double xeon 24 core at 2.6ghz in the long run. At the start of the galaxy the dual xenon takes advantage of the large thread pool, but once a lot starts going on inside a sector the i7 can take a lot more beating. We are currently using an 8700k and it seems to be the best performer we had so far.  Note that this is on a highly popular server that gets a lot of traffic and abuse, for small purposes it would be an overkill.

With that said and depending on your goals, you might be good off with a hosting service like Nitrado but my little experience with such services has been that it never lives up to its potential due to using shared resources and usually only one or two CPU cores assigned. With 2-5 players and not a lot going on around in all the sectors at once you should probably be fine, but if you want to run a couple mods or want to keep it playable even when there is a lot going on in different sectors with players at end game content, you might want to look into getting a dedicated server.

We started out with an i7 4790k that costed us 40$ a month at the time, that should be enough to run 5-10 players easily together with a decent amount of mods.