Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

DRM-free version (Gog/Humble/...)

LavenderBites

Hello!

Long story short, I finally decided to ditch Steam. Out of the few games I rather miss playing (and couldn't find on Gog/Humble/website DL á la Factorio), Avorion is one. I did some searching on the forum but failed to find any conclusive answers - apologies if I missed something and am asking old questions.

But here goes:

Are there plans to make Avorion available outside Steam (or more generically, outside any forced platform/framework) at any point in time?

(More specifically I'd love a standalone Linux version, I don't know if the Steam variant was just a Wine wrapper but were that the case I'd assume I could manage that on my own for a standalone .exe :) )

Hugs to you all!

• 2 months later...

As far as I know it's not in the pipeline,

the whole multiplayer aspect uses steam authentication so it is unlikely that they will get rid of it soon.

They'd have to build a framework that offers the same capabilities and security that steam authentication has, and make it work together. That's something they don't have the capacity nor knowledge to do so as far as I know, and they are very unlikely to hire outside help otherwise they would've scaled up their development by now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Boxelware Team

Mostly what Devious said, but it's not a networking development issue, we already have our own networking in place. The bigger issue is that with ie. GOG we'd have to reimplement their version of the remaining Steam API, considering friend lists, server lists, achievements, update rollouts, etc. for a second time. Right now we've got a system in place that works, and at least while we're still rolling out regular updates we're not doing so on 2 different platforms.

• 1 month later...

Just chiming in here to voice my support for a DRM-free version of the game.

I do "own" it on Steam, but I wouldn't hesitate one second to buy another copy if it were available on say, itch.io or GOG. Make that two copies if it were available on both ;)

EDIT:

Also a huge "thank you" for supporting Linux! Go Boxelware!

• 1 year later...

I second the motion.

Wube has proved with Factorio that you can set up your own modding and multiplayer system to facilitate crossplay across multiple OSes and shops.

I hope Boxelware can learn from their endeavour and give us the most awesome Avorion there can be.

from my point of view, GOG is currently the best shop for consumers. Sure, Steam has the biggest selection and Epic the smallest prices. But once you take Reputation into account, GOG outclasses everyone. So, whenever this pops up on GOG, i am going to buy it again.

PS. some Developer insights:

UE4 and Unity already have packages that allow distribution across multiple platforms, OSes and shops. So, if you use those engines you should also seek out those multi packages to "carped bomb" everything with your game. That way you reach most of your target audience. A good example for this is Genesis Alpha One from Radiation Blue.

On the other hand, if you want to program everything yourselves, you should stay away from APIs as much as possible, to keep your game more portable. This also implies you need to set up your own systems for multiplayer, user authentication, modding, etc.

I second the motion.

Wube has proved with Factorio that you can set up your own modding and multiplayer system to facilitate crossplay across multiple OSes and shops.

I hope Boxelware can learn from their endeavour and give us the most awesome Avorion there can be.

Wube also has a much larger dev team.