Extremely Laggy Alliance Menu

ImaTarget

Have a small alliance with only 4 people, typically only two online at once. The alliance menus have grown extremely laggy to the point where we can no longer deposit or remove items from the sheer force of the lag. No other menu is laggy. Gamplay is smooth. There are 5-6 Ships and 6-7 Stations/Mines belonging to the alliance. There are about ~30 cargo fighters setup to deliver resources between the stations.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

We've gotten some inexplicable lagg without other menus in our servers, but my best guess would be its something with the alliance cargo fighters.  Anything running automated like that isn't very efficiently coded yet, and can cause CPU or Upload spikes.  Here's how I would test it though:

Take your server down for 10 minutes.

Copy/make a backup of the whole thing.

Relaunch it, and delete allll your alliance fighters, see if the lag gets better, if not, delete the stations. If either of those make a huge difference then you know thats the problem.

If those are the problem then compare your upload bandwidth and CPU usage from when you have no fighters, to when you go back to the backedup version of the server and see if anything stands out.

You also might try playing around with some minor settings, like in the server.ini file you can specify worker and script threads. Maybe try increasing those, and maybe try setting the CPU priority on the avorion server .exe to highest priority? I've made about 20 changes to mine trying to make sure it works well and im not sure what actaully helped at this point. You could also try putting the server on a DMZ on your network for a bit to rule out any sort of firewall/port forwarding issues...

Hope that helps!

From my (short) experience, menus get slower the more items you loot in alliance/player inventory. After some research and resell to clean up mdules, everything get fine again, at least for some time. The limit seems to sit around ~800 items on my server.

From my (short) experience, menus get slower the more items you loot in alliance/player inventory. After some research and resell to clean up mdules, everything get fine again, at least for some time. The limit seems to sit around ~800 items on my server.

Yeah I noticed that as well, it was also (not sure if fixed in 17+) impossible to filter when items are entering the inventory due to it refreshing constantly.

I made this mod to help clean up systems:

https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,4886.0.html

I do not recall ever letting the number of items ever surpass 500. When the lag was at the worst, I actually removed every single item from the Alliance Vault but that did not help.

Removing the cargo fighters did not improve the lag.

Deleting all of the stations/mines did improve it to drastically, but we are already noticing it starting to slow down again.

Haven't fiddled around with any of the other suggestions as of yet.

Ok Now I follow you.

Lag is now completely unacceptable, despite our efforts to recycle turrets and systems. It's now, since we've crossed the great Barrier (maybe not related) (near) impossible to scroll or even give/take any item from the stash.

We don't have a lot of ships nor a lot of stations. The fremerate is under 10fps (60 without menu)

ya5tv99m

"Fun" fact : the lag disappears when the window is beeing moved.

INTERESTING catch, Bix. That signifies that the UI itself is constantly refreshing, perhaps even for all alliance members at the same time if even one of them has the window open. The window is inactive during a drag, you see, so that's why the lag disappears.

This should give y'all brainy coders something to look into. ;)

(I would but I am otherwise engaged making Player Warp Gates a thing.)

It's not something about number of players, 99.9% sure.

The graphics of the UI don't freeze when moved, but the numbers do so yes it may be an overload of refreshes, but it shouldn't as we really don't have a lot of stations, and "only" on or two squads of cargo per station.

• 1 month later...