Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

rewards for research too low

Mister-E

Suggestion

Research just doesn't pay off now.  I've thrown in 20,000 exceptional rail turrets to a research facility and got back maybe 5 ok or good legendaries.  The cost and materials was on the insane side and would have taken forever to obtain without cheating, i would estimate about a week for 20k turrets worth of components, even with OoSP.  Anyway, i ended up with 5 rail turrets with over 120k dps, at about a 1-2 months i would get a full set for one ship, keep in mind that's just with mods.  The rate of rewards for research is just absurdly low, given that in 2 months the server will probably be wiped and your one ship thats fully outfitted  gets deleted.

My suggestion is just that research should still be random, but with higher bounds or re-rolls if the weapon falls below 20k dps for exotic and 25k dps for legendaries.

OR

have exotic and legendary turrets be less awful

13 answers to this suggestion

I do agree with the problem but not with the solution you gave, as i think random shouldnt be in the research part. I think that turrets you put in would need to give a turret with an average (of everything, of the fire rate, damage, inaccuracy and cooldown etc etc) of the turrets put in and with lets say 20% more dps and lets you upgrade one or two more things (like: if it becomes exotic or legendary, then two things), but at least it shouldnt be random anymore, so mass producing good legendary weapons could be done without adding them to the turret factory, as you would need 25 exeptionel for every leggy. And yes, these turrets might be op, but for non-op turrets you would need to change the turret factory

About the module upgrading, i think its fine as it is now, although it should always be higher (not by much) than the average of put in stuff

I think this had been updated at some point; as far as I can tell you always get a quality upgrade (5 greens give you a blue, etc) of both turrets and systems.

If you put in 5 purple turrets (or systems, for that matter), do you get an even better purple version of that same turret/system?

I think this had been updated at some point; as far as I can tell you always get a quality upgrade (5 greens give you a blue, etc) of both turrets and systems.

If you put in 5 purple turrets (or systems, for that matter), do you get an even better purple version of that same turret/system?

No if you put in 5 leggys, you get a single leggy back and its as random as anything. Anyways, the quality upgrade has always been like that, but quality says nothing about a turret. They might be better in percentages, but less rare ones may have some good ones in there too, and they come in way faster... so low qualityguns can just outdo a better one, because its just random af.

I think it is up to location of research stations. At "Iron region", reward was awful because provided Tech is just 6 in this region. At "Trinium region", reward was not bad because provided Tech is 31 in this region. I am not sure about "Avorion region". At least, I agree with you about the problem "Rare is sometimes weaker than Common".

I did a test with 5 of the exact same salvaging turrets, they wereexceptional (orange/tan)  ogonite, about 3k dps, 38 efficiency.  The resulting red exotic turret had 1k less dps, 30% less range (0.95 down from 1.5)  and the only improvement was +1% efficiency.  This was done at the closest research station to the core on the server I play on (about 50 or so units from center).

I believe that research just does gives you a reroll using the tech level for the sector where the research station is. 60-100% chance for a rarity upgrade for 3-5 base items with material randomly selected from the inputs, then all stats and properties rerolled within the range of the tech level.

For any given tech level/rarity/material combination, there's a REALLY wide range of possible outcomes, so you're right that you very frequently end up with an output item that's worse than the inputs--especially if the tech level of stuff going in was already high.

That's actually the intended design at the moment as far as I know, but it's an interesting idea to treat research as a "continuous improvement" thing; maybe adding a tiny bit of tech level to the base sector tech level based on the inputs, with some reasonable cap on it to avoid infinite growth.

I think it is up to location of research stations. At "Iron region", reward was awful because provided Tech is just 6 in this region. At "Trinium region", reward was not bad because provided Tech is 31 in this region. I am not sure about "Avorion region". At least, I agree with you about the problem "Rare is sometimes weaker than Common".

Doesnt matter, if you grab a tech 56 gun (x5) and go to the outer regions, its stil random af and would yield the same random stats as it would in the core

Doesnt matter, if you grab a tech 56 gun (x5) and go to the outer regions, its stil random af and would yield the same random stats as it would in the core

I am sorry about my expression which contained ambiguity. I did not talk about Tech level of input equipment. At least, I found that one research station always returns same Tech level on its output. If it According to my experience, higher Tech level of a research station seems to increase not lower limit but higher limit of equipment status.

Makes me wonder if I can just make a ton of the cheapest guns I can find then take them close to the core and just keep rolling the dice til I get something amazing

Actually, I got one.

Tons of Tech 6 Iron Chaingun DPS<50 Range 4 → Several Tech 35 Iron Exotic Chaingun (Waste) + One Tech 35 Legendary Chaingun DPS 7000 Range 7

Q. How to get tons of loots?

A. Order "Attack Enemies"  to a ship with Bolter Fighter Squadron, order "Salvage" to a ship with Salvaging Fighter Squadron. Wait for several hours.

I wonder if just crafting hundreds upon hundreds of iron/titanium turrets in the periphery can be used to produce sheap top-tier legendaries in the core...

Other than that, I still think that all of that can be sorted out by allowing reproduction of turrets you have using blueprints in the same way the Fighters can be. This way the randomness can be turned into a personal arsenal tech-base, and spending lots of weapons for research pays-off just by a single successful case, that can be reproduced for a corresponding resource and credit price.