Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Tips for taking screenshots

koonschi

• Boxelware Team

This is a collection of small tips for screenshots (works for the Demo as well). Will be extended over time.

• Press F8 to disable the HUD
  • Press F12 to make a screenshot (will make a screenshot in Avorion and Steam)
  • You can find Avorion's screenshots in your %appdata%\Avorion\Screenshots folder (Windows) or ~/.avorion/screenshots (Linux)
  • The backgrounds of sectors influence the lighting in the sector - Depending on what you're after you might want to change sectors before making a screenshot

Koonschi

• 3 weeks later...

One thing that myself and I suppose many others find difficult, is truly capturing the shape of a Design in one or more static photos.

So I present to you a easy solution for most out there.

GifCam

A small simple program one can use to capture gifs like below

AI4Uwlo.gif

7vpkTjP.gif

I have some basic idea on how to deal with artifacting, and green screen prediction artifacting, if you any issues, please link the gif,  and Ill go ahead an post a solution on this Opening Post to help you and anyone else later on.

Green Artifacting

MVfuBHr.gif

I am unsure of the exact cause, However I solved this issue in a few short steps

[*]Goto Edit, Right Click on the frame by frame display of the GIF, In that drop down menu, goto 'green' and choose the most appropriate color based on the predominant color in the GIF, in this case it was Blue

[*]Exit this Edit menu/Popup

[*]Open the 'Save' drop down menu and choose a quality option and then preview the Gif, cylce through until you find a quality format that either removes or minimizes the artifacting.

Another Tip, when posting Imgur thumbnails, One can alter the apparent size by placing a suffix at the end of the Imgur Link.

Down the bottom of this Links shows how to do so.

Below is an Example

In the example links, please ignore the '(Brackets)'

lvcnAWDs.jpg

lvcnAWDm.jpg

lvcnAWDl.jpg

lvcnAWDh.jpg

lvcnAWD.jpg

As you can see, a default link is unlikely to suit all monitors and resolutions out there.

[Awesome Stuff]

Thanks MrVorgra, I was wondering where those gifs came from, and was here to write a post about linking images. Glad to see you beat me to it.

To add, there's a way of making the thumbnail a click-through to the full image, so my 2nd picture is typed as:

[#url=http://imgur.com/Nm0XErN][#img]http://i.imgur.com/Nm0XErNl.jpg[/img][/url] (ignore the #hashes)

My addition - Turrets!

For my first handful of screens I tried desperately to find a part of the screen to put my cursor so that my turrets would be on a good angle and you could see more than just the back of them.

Okay if you want an action shot, but not great for display.

VjZngLzl.jpg

By accident I discovered that if you target the ship itself the turrets will return to their default positions.

Nice and tidy.

Nm0XErNl.jpg

• 1 month later...

You can also exit to the mining drone, zoom all the way in and move camera with Alt to the side and/or up, drone is not in the view (or at least on my 16:9 screen). That's how I took screenshots of my ship, which I hope I'll get to post soon.

You can also do flyby and capture it with GifCam as MrVorgra posted, or record it, whatever suits your needs. If I remember correctly, drone doesn't move on screen if you don't boost, but I could be wrong about this one...

• 2 weeks later...

Another tip, if you want to do some post processing on your screenshots, is to use alt-prtscr and then create a canvas from the clipboard (in Photoshop, or Gimp, or Irfanview, or whatever). This actually pastes a bitmap, instead of a compressed jpg/png image, so if you want to resize stuff, it's going to be more precise.

• 1 year later...