Multiple Small Galaxies

Beel

Suggestion

Where the game is already procedurally generated, it could have a single universe have galaxies that are much smaller (say 200 x 200, or even 100 x 100). Each galaxy would effectively be equal to a universe as it is currently defined. There would be a single, one way, gate in the center of each galaxy, that is protected by an appropriately strong NPC Boss, and allows movement in one direction only, allowing a player to go to the next stronger galaxy. Once you move a single ship from galaxy 1 to Galaxy 2, since you are only allowed to be in a single galaxy at a time, all other ships of yours that were left behind in galaxy 1 would immediately disappear. Galaxy 1 could be iron/Titanium (or just iron if iron generators would be allowed), the next one would introduce the next element, etc. Once all elements are introduced, then the NPC would simply get 1.5 times as strong. The only way of "opening" a galaxy level is to travel to it, after you kill the boss that is protecting the gate, of course.

I can easily see this scenario producing bragging rights of "I am in galaxy #XX". It would also allow people to play this game indefinitely if they wanted to, without coming to an "end" after which there is no point in playing it any more. And it would greatly reduce the size of the galaxy that the game had to deal with at any single time, especially for single player servers.

And this will also most likely solve the problem of players with really large ships destroying players that have really small ships. Or atleast would go a long way in that regard. Since for example, a player with access to trinium, could not attack a player that only had access to iron. Thus the game would most likely no longer need to limit turrets via ship upgrades in a way that basically sets the maximum number of turrets that a ship could ever have, but instead could allow the ship volume to control the number of turrets (or turret slots) in a linear manor.

2 answers to this suggestion

I only play single player or with friends and I would hate this. I spend a lot of time building ships and stations and establishing trade and control in a region. I'd much rather have the designers focus on expanding the existing galaxy by adding solar systems in each sector.

I too only play single player. So I don't have a problem with large bully players killing my ships.

However that is a valid concern in the multiplayer world. I have seen reports of some players refusing to play because of the bullying. I also see the update that limited the turrets based on slots to limit the amount of power that a ship can have, and I assume that this is to avoid the problem of bullying, since it makes no sense in any other context. Therefore although I don't play multiplayer, it would be wrong for me to not think about how changes would work in a multiplayer environment, and  to suggest changes that would work well for both environments, instead of only the one that I play in.

As for "spend a lot of time building ... stations and establishing trade and control in a region", I personally would love the game to expand in this area, and for it to actually be a focus of the game. For instance I would love for it to be about building a "base" in some sector(s), and protecting the base from pirates. I have tried that aspect in the game as it is currently, and it didn't work out for me at all. The trade stations cost an enormous amount to get started, the goods were never bought unless I did it myself, and the pirates were powerless foes so protection was almost not needed. So I have abandoned the trade aspect of this game, except where it is forced upon me, and find it a bit of a drudgery as it is currently. Hopefully some day that is developed. Perhaps you could make some suggestions on how this could be developed to be better.