Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Dev Progress: Combat Update II

Ny

bc69fa3d0b6d70cea023bed06f5ae6e99fd62c04.jpg

[Deutsche Version siehe unten]

Hey Everyone,

It's been a while since our last update so we thought it about time to let you know what we are currently working on!

Some of you have already seen the screenshot of the promised turret building mode on twitter. For all who missed it, here is another peek at it :)

8eab3f4064b0739d12acae3ac8051ea3cc83b68b.jpg

5b120f79b1fb0bd6bec8fd8fd4ded803bbaae181.jpg

While the update is coming along nicely, there is still some polishing left to do and we've been working on bugfixes for 0.17 as well, since we released our crash reporter on the beta branch.

Next we'll tackle coaxial weapons which you'll also be able to design yourself, using the turret building mode. Additionally, there are going to be a few changes to the ship building mode: Starting with the Combat Update II you can optionally pause the game when you're building in single player so you can focus on your designs without interruptions from pirate attacks.

Besides these features, you can also look forward to a rework of collision damage, that will make it feel more natural.

542199f11b0a9dde34042851358a4b8129556331.jpg

Until then, have fun!

[German Version]

Hallo Leute,

Nachdem unser letztes Update schon eine Weile her ist, wollten wir euch mal wieder wissen lassen woran wir gerade arbeiten!

Einige von euch haben bereits das erste Bild von unserem neuen Turmbaumodus auf Twitter gesehen aber für alle, die es verpasst haben, gibt es hier noch ein paar Bilder :)

Das neue Update nimmt Form an! Als nächstes wollen wir uns um die versprochenen Koaxialwaffen kümmern, die ihr dann ebenfalls im Turmbaumodus selbst entwerfen könnt. Außerdem arbeiten wir weiterhin an Bugfixes für 0.17 seit wir unseren Crashreporter auf dem Betabranch veröffentlicht haben.

Zusätzlich zum Design von Türmen wird es mit dem Combat Update II noch ein paar weitere Änderungen am Baumodus geben: von da an gibt es im Singleplayer die Option, dass das Spiel pausiert wird solange ihr im Baumodus seid. So könnt ihr euch ganz auf euren Schiffsentwurf konzentrieren ohne von Piratenangriffen unterbrochen zu werden.

Außerdem könnt ihr euch auf eine Überarbeitung des Kollisionsschadens freuen, nach der sich dieser natürlicher anfühlen wird.

Bis bald und viel Spaß!

Yaay ! At least it will satisfy people who want to customize their gun appearance and have the meanest- or goofiest-looking weapons ::).

Cue turrets shaped like fly swatters and rolling pins for the "firing everything but the kitchen sink" feeling !

...liking the "torpedo launchers disguised as solar arrays" (or was it the reverse) and the blunderbuss on the last screens ;D

Any estimate on when this will be released? Am looking forward to finally outfitting my units with proper gears/weapons

Also, will the weapons be saved alongside the ship as well? I really want to be able to just spawn in a ship with its weapons premade, and not constantly having to slap new weapons on my AI-ships.  It's extremely a hassle to deal so it would be nice to have that sort of functionality.

• Boxelware Team

Also, will the weapons be saved alongside the ship as well? I really want to be able to just spawn in a ship with its weapons premade, and not constantly having to slap new weapons on my AI-ships.  It's extremely a hassle to deal so it would be nice to have that sort of functionality.

Most definitely yes, this is one of the reasons why it took longer than expected to make.

Most definitely yes, this is one of the reasons why it took longer than expected to make.

Awesome  :) Would love to have the same for upgrades.

I am super excited for this upcoming update!! ;D can't wait to deck out my ships with fancy guns!  The hype is real.

I am curious though, how will looting weapons work?  Will you be able to pick up weapons and then have to design/redesign the turret model?  Or will it be similar to fighters where you have a template based around a weapon type then building them costs resources?  Also curious how turret size will come into play. Personally I'd like a way to make turrets uniform if wanted, even though the kitchen sink rainbow streams on the front of ships can be pretty lol.

Also, will co-axial weapons be doom rays only, or will there be kinetic variants such as Giga cannons? Will AI and NPCs also be using these coaxial weapons to devistating effect?

But then you can get a certain turret infinite times by placing it on a cube, saving the cube and spawn it a lot and remove the weapon and put it on your big ship?

I am super excited for this upcoming update!! ;D can't wait to deck out my ships with fancy guns!  The hype is real.

I am curious though, how will looting weapons work?  Will you be able to pick up weapons and then have to design/redesign the turret model?  Or will it be similar to fighters where you have a template based around a weapon type then building them costs resources?  Also curious how turret size will come into play. Personally I'd like a way to make turrets uniform if wanted, even though the kitchen sink rainbow streams on the front of ships can be pretty lol.

Also, will co-axial weapons be doom rays only, or will there be kinetic variants such as Giga cannons? Will AI and NPCs also be using these coaxial weapons to devistating effect?

Honestly, that would take building weapons to a whole new level, as its no longer maxing everything everything for the best stats, but would make balancing a turret as a much, because if you need to choose whether you want accuracy or dps or range or cooling or fire rate, the avorion deathlasers would finally have equals in different catagorys

But then you can get a certain turret infinite times by placing it on a cube' date=' saving the cube and spawn it a lot and remove the weapon and put it on your big ship?[/quote']

I guess so, the blueprints should be obtained alongside the ships. It'd make looting almost a collective thing (as all players would be able to share weapon blueprints this way, unless a watermark-like safety is put in place to avoid such behavior).

For the weapon quantity I guess it'll depend on energy (for a soft limit) and volume (for a hard limit, to not end up with an infinity of those weapons, as as Orks say, "there is not enough dakka" ::)). That would allow 20-mile-long-ships to have size 20 turrets to go with them (which would shoot huge but less lag-inducing projectiles than 10 size-2 turrets).

Or maybe the turrets would be limited by the turret count but TCS would be integratable on the ship (it has been said that an idea of integrating modules into as ship was around, so what about in a blueprint~ :)).

It'll sure radically change the way ships are currently made (hoping version checks'll be put in place).

• 2 weeks later...

then the way to go would be to separate the turret model from the turret stats:

on the one hand, we would have the turret model that could be duplicated as often as it would fit the ship.

on the other hand, instead of complete turrets we would have turret configuration chips, that we could connect to a turret model to activate it. just like ... let's say a cassette for your C64 ... oh damn, most of you won't know this, let me find another example: just like a blu-ray disc.

I'm a bit out of the loop here. Can we have an ETA on this update? I'm extremely hyped for this, but have no idea as to the typical release cycle timeline.

Anywhere between now and 3 months when they are supposed to release this game.

Due to all the secrecy from the devs it is hard to say and less and less people still actually care.