Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

[Guides] NerArth's Guides

NerArth

You can find my

Avorion Basics guide here.

A Lua guide with info on how to rename ships.

I'm currently writing a guide on some Lua basics too. I'm not a programmer and so I only know stuff at a hobby level; but I've messed around a fair bit with Lua before and I've figured out things like ship renaming and can lead you into more general use of the Lua commands. I will edit this part when it's ready.

I thought I would make this post so I can keep track of my own guides, and so people can easily find them all. If you have a suggestion for another guide, let me know.

It pains me to see that it says Naonite is the heaviest low Tier material, I find that Iron is the Heaviest. Even the game says in its tips that Iron is one of the heaviest materials.

Also not to sure about this, but I'm fairly sure that Avorion doesn't have the highest Durability.

It pains me to see that it says Naonite is the heaviest low Tier material, I find that Iron is the Heaviest. Even the game says in its tips that Iron is one of the heaviest materials.

Also not to sure about this, but I'm fairly sure that Avorion doesn't have the highest Durability.

Oops, you're right about the mass, I'll correct that briefly. Not sure how I reached that conclusion... :-\

As for Avorion's hp, I double-checked, it is the highest per volume, except that Avorion does not have any armour blocks, and Ogonite does, so Ogonite armour is better for protection than simply having Avorion hull.

Ah, good to know. Also another quick run through your guide I found that you didn't mention that Tesla guns can't destroy stone blocks and Railguns can't damage Armor blocks in the Building section, although they still do damage to your overall hull. Might be good to add that to the turret section too. Also in the building section you should also mention that Turret Rotation lock stop turrets from turning to make them always face forward ( I used to use this so turrets didn't take ages to turn to the target if their facing towards the rear of the ship ).

Also you forgot to mention about how the rotation from thrusters will be improved depending on how far away from the centre of mass it is.

And also something I would like, it would be nice to add Something about alliances in the guide so I can quickly give it to newbies for reference when their just starting in multiplayer.

( And If you want me to give you a butt-load of tips / things to add just message me )

Ah, good to know. Also another quick run through your guide I found that you didn't mention that Tesla guns can't destroy stone blocks and Railguns can't damage Armor blocks in the Building section, although they still do damage to your overall hull. Might be good to add that to the turret section too. Also in the building section you should also mention that Turret Rotation lock stop turrets from turning to make them always face forward ( I used to use this so turrets didn't take ages to turn to the target if their facing towards the rear of the ship ).

Also you forgot to mention about how the rotation from thrusters will be improved depending on how far away from the centre of mass it is.

And also something I would like, it would be nice to add Something about alliances in the guide so I can quickly give it to newbies for reference when their just starting in multiplayer.

( And If you want me to give you a butt-load of tips / things to add just message me )

Yeah, I completely forgot about the tesla/rails since I'm so used to that mechanic already. But I'll be adding some of those things soon.

You can pm me with it all, I don't mind, but a lot of information might warrant a separate guide? I have mixed feelings about making a basics guide too dense.

Edit: I haven't messed too much with alliances myself so what do you think is pertinent to talk about? I do understand how they work and how they're structured, but I'm not sure I'll do much good just describing that. ;)

Yeah I agree, You don't want to make the basics guide to dense, but you can make it that you have two different guides attached to each other, ( Basics Guide -> Expert Guide ) or something like that so you can talk more heavily about the game and what you can do in it.

Also about the alliances you should add stuff like how to create the alliance, Where to find invites to an alliance, how to invite people to an alliance, how the ranking system works and that you can change the permission they have etc. Explain each alliance tab.

Another good thing to add is how to whisper to someone in chat or talk in alliance chat, /a ( press space ) or /e etc. All very useful things to know when joining a multiplayer server. ( And also how the mailing system works )

It's kinda hard to explain how the game works without going into too much detail, because they might start to ask a lot of questions and try to find other guides. ( I kinda feel like the guide is limited when you say Basic Guide ). You could make it look like there's much less writing to read through and do the same thing you did with the table of contents, like when you click Turrets it opens up a sub-table of contents and do that for everything. It's always been a problem with guides for me that they always look like to much of a hassle to read with all the writing and I know you're trying to keep it short too so might as well space everything out ( It might be a bit of a hassle to do but it would make the guide much easier to go through ).

Yeah I agree, You don't want to make the basics guide to dense, but you can make it that you have two different guides attached to each other, ( Basics Guide -> Expert Guide ) or something like that so you can talk more heavily about the game and what you can do in it.

Also about the alliances you should add stuff like how to create the alliance, Where to find invites to an alliance, how to invite people to an alliance, how the ranking system works and that you can change the permission they have etc. Explain each alliance tab.

Another good thing to add is how to whisper to someone in chat or talk in alliance chat, /a ( press space ) or /e etc. All very useful things to know when joining a multiplayer server. ( And also how the mailing system works )

It's kinda hard to explain how the game works without going into too much detail, because they might start to ask a lot of questions and try to find other guides. ( I kinda feel like the guide is limited when you say Basic Guide ). You could make it look like there's much less writing to read through and do the same thing you did with the table of contents, like when you click Turrets it opens up a sub-table of contents and do that for everything. It's always been a problem with guides for me that they always look like to much of a hassle to read with all the writing and I know you're trying to keep it short too so might as well space everything out ( It might be a bit of a hassle to do but it would make the guide much easier to go through ).

I know exactly what you mean, since I do find it a bit annoying with some guides too, especially ones with poor english or poor structure in general; I like your idea of expanding sub-tocs but I have to see how I might implement that. I do feel like there's a lot of scrolling to be done, and I'd like the toc to be a sidebar kind of thing. I'll be thinking about this!

But anyway, thanks for your feedback, it's very helpful, and I'll continue making changes and thinking on how I'll structure other guide stuff in the future.

• 1 month later...