Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Bind turret numbers to ship volume instead of modules

Perq

Suggestion

As in title. The recent (good) change pushed into good direction, but now I think it is the time to re-think the problem with turrets and modules.

Turrets are one of the main things about your ship. They define your fire power potential, or utility that ship brings.

Other stats that are somewhat crucial to your ship are bound with volume of certain building materials - be it generators, shield generators or simply by adding hp to your hull.

The same way you can increase your fire power using fighters (get more hangars, assemblies and crew quarters to get more fire power from more fighters). You do it by increasing volume of blocks in your ship.

Recently we've gotten another way of increasing fire power by increasing volume - torpedoes.

With all that, a question starts to arise - why are turrets different? Why they have rigid number that can only be increased by modules, and nothing else?

You could argue that adding volume adds module slots, therefore increasing the amount of turrets you can use, but then again other problem arises - at all time you want to use as many turret modules and nothing else.

This way most of the modules are completely useless, because the opportunity cost of using them means you will have less turrets. Anything that doesn't add shield/power/hyperspace is only used when it absolutely has to be, and anything that provides QoL features like detection are completely avoided at all times.

This would of course mean a need to rebalance of modules, so that you won't be able to have all the turrets and stack 9 shield boosters. :S Probably decrease their effectiveness for every next added to the pile of same type (probably could argument that with modules having to communicate with each other which decreases their effectiveness... or something).

This is why I think turret count should be bound to volume/processing power/whatever. Maybe even have a separate block type that is a little better at handling turrets, no clue.

5 answers to this suggestion

I concur. Maybe one of the following?

Turrets require certain mount blocks (not too dissimilar to how torpedo launchers operate with a separate menu tab assign a weapon to each block)

A block not too dissimilar from computer cores that increases turret capacities

Or no turret limit, at all, but increase the energy and crew requirements.

I had an idea for enabling more turrets months ago, replacing the hard cap by a soft cap with increased vulnerability... and another which uses exposed surface angles.

I'd almost add to it that turret modules would then increase turret count in percentage, to get things like "3 turrets per angle of approach" with an exceptional +200% TCS 8).

I'd almost say that turret limits exist because of the server load incurred by hundreds of turrets firing at once :-\, so there'd be a strong incentive to limit the turret amount by making it a module-driven rigid and pretty low limit (a player would only have so many TCS (by grinding or buying at equipement docks) and module slots (limited by ship count, and their volume at a fast rate)) in order to ideally get ~5 turrets per ship.

It disadvantages large ships, curiously enough, as getting two more turrets is easier by getting a new ship than increasing the rarity of two TCSes (which would need looting or buying eight other TCSes of the same rarity, compared to getting new crew at any station).

Sometimes I felt the limit was too stringent (flak corvettes needing four guns, so two petty/normal TCSes or a uncommon each) so I modded my equipment docks to get 50 more quantity if the module for sale was a TCS :D: it's pretty easy with minimal programming knowledge.

The increased vulnerability drawback is a really good one to consider as it would enforce a balancing act between HP and turret count (mobile PvP balance?) while allowing awesome mile-long ships (one of Avorions' main cool things) with forty angles of approach to get their forty turrets before getting TCSes that would make em four hundred (ok, it has four hundred turrets, but it's several hundred times more expensive than a twelve-turret light cruiser, and let's not talk about the crew-getting shenanigans).

I'm not arguing for more turrets - quite the opposite. Honestly, no ship should never have more than 30 turrets, no matter the size. It simply doesn't make sense to put that many little turrets on huge ships. You want capital class turrets, and those cost more slots. A ship which has 200 turrets is kinda absurd. :S

I'd say the amount of turrets you could be getting should be more or less the same as now. That means that there should be some sort of diminishing returns, meaning the more turrets you have, the less you get for each additional volume you get. Similar to modules system.

It is just that if turret count is connected with modules system, everything will be overshadowed by turret modules because of how important they are.

Why? You have a really, really, big spaceship. And then only 30 turrets? That is very unrealistic. Especially since larger turrets use more slots and in the end you don't have 30 but only 15 or so.

The correction nozzles show the way. The bigger the spaceship, the more correction nozzles you need. However, there comes the point where you lose agility. Since it is no longer possible to place more correction nozzles. Or you can't put anything else in.

You can do the same with the turrets. Volume is only one possible indicator. The number of slots is not scaled linearly, but in a curve function. The more volume you have, the more volume you need for another slot. It then comes automatically the point where more volume no longer effectively delivers more slots.

There's one thing you mustn't forget. The bigger a ship gets, the slower it gets. This makes it easier to hit and also provides more area to hit.

From the modules' point of view, only one thing can be said. Such a system can even accommodate 2 types of modules. Namely comparable to the modules for the storage room. One module for a fixed number of slots and one that provides more slots in percentage.

Alternatively, a completely different system. Got one in my mind. But would completely change the ship designe and requires a new block with a new mechanics :)

From how I see it, ships now should get universal turret slots as well as the module slots, which players can use to expand the capacity even more. That can compensate for the increased slot demand for larger weapons introduced by the Combat Update.

Thus, with every system module slot you get, you also get 1 universal turret slot. If that end up insufficient for the general player base, then the issue can be addressed further by increasing the slot bonus from all turret slot modules by 1 for their corresponding type.