"You kill civilians so we don't like you"

Perq

Suggestion

Please get rid of this. It is pointless, it is annoying and most of all a contradiction.

Factions themselves will happily shoot and destroy those ships, but if you happen to destroy it, they get mad. And they get mad QUICK.

Not to mention that if you have any fleet, ships from your fleet will happily kill all the civilians passing by, without you noticing, ruining your reputation with your friendly faction that happens to be there.

Pointless, anti-fun mechanic. Get rid of it, please.

11 answers to this suggestion

I get your point partially, but removing it completely is just weird. If the us decides to blow up a ship of the united kingdom, they get mad, what a suprise... I think its only logical. Piracy is possible but by removing this it gets way to simple. There's a reason nations have made warlaws, wich includes not attacking civilians. And then there may be aliens with different laws etc, but if they are smart enough to go to space, then they"ll be smart enough to make laws to not shoot civilians...

What you're saying would only make sense if they themselves weren't happily shooting them to their deaths... :S

Also, if this was to stay, auto-turrets/fleet ships have to ignore civilian ships. Some civilian ships are actually armed and they shoot you, but once you start shooting them it is somehow bad... How are they civilians, again? :S

If this system is to stay it needs a lot of work. I'd honestly just scrap it as it doesn't add much to the gameplay.

Yes I've been very annoyed with this mechanic lately as there is one faction who will happly jump into my sector and start attacking me with civ ships and if I fire back / destroy them I get in trouble...

I can't set my guys to patrol for pirates because if one of those dumb ships comes in I get screwed.

The AI:Agressive state needs to ignore civilian ships and the angry faction for killing it needs to be removed if the ship fires first or has been attacked by the faction. Its silly when they are shooting it so you help and they get pissed at you.

Yup. I divided the civilian penalty by 50 (for another reason) so I can still make my patrol ship Attack All Enemies but yup, civilians should not be auto-targeted unless attacking first (which'd cause aggro), armed civilians should not incur penalty, and, importantly, armed civilians should never fire on stations that they are approaching to dock with despite being enemies :(.

Wanna trade with the CII ? Turn that chaingun oooff >:( !

After all some factions fire at them and aren't universally hated for doing so ::)...

Yes I've been very annoyed with this mechanic lately as there is one faction who will happly jump into my sector and start attacking me with civ ships and if I fire back / destroy them I get in trouble...

I can't set my guys to patrol for pirates because if one of those dumb ships comes in I get screwed.

The AI:Agressive state needs to ignore civilian ships and the angry faction for killing it needs to be removed if the ship fires first or has been attacked by the faction. Its silly when they are shooting it so you help and they get pissed at you.

Okay this i do agree with, i thought you meant when you start shooting a ship randomly, but i do agree a mechanic to prevent ai civil ships shooting at you would be a nice extra to the game.

How else shoud you transport big guns? Its true that something shouldnt be civilian if it carries guns... but its space and guns... anyways, civilians carrying guns is fine for me, but then they shouldnt attack first, only when being shot

Civilians are not Omicron enough to constitute a threat, so no wurries there.

Secondly, in the chaos of a battle, we all have bashed up a Civvy by mistake, losses to Reputation can easily be made up.

Destroying a Civvy ... it happens. ... but then i take their loot and thats the trade-off.

Interesting game mechanic, tinker with it if you wish.  I sorta like it and see no need to waste coding time on this.

Really, for my game-play, this is a “non-issue”.