Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Station limits and turret slot bugs

BlackAce21

Hi, sorry for the double post but I am rather busy so things tend to pile up on my todo list xD both of these issues come from our server and I just wanted to report them and provide feedback in case it hasn't been addressed yet which my much-more-read-up friend on the patch notes says hasn't been mentioned yet.

Let's start with station limits. We have a guy on our server who made I think it was 92-98 stations in a single sector. They were mostly small stations but it ended up stopping clients from being able to load in the sector. The server loaded the sector just fine but the client would hang on the loading screen. We wrote a script to send in a ship with a second script attached to it to remove some of the stations and this seemed to fix the problem. It did however raise a point. The game seems to be unable to handle a certain amount of stations in one sector. I am uncertain what is causing the limitation but I would like to request the limitation either be removed (if possible) or if it can't be removed that a config option or hard coded limit be added in to stop players from being able to go over the limit.

The reason for this request is that players who have already loaded a system can make as many stations as they want, the client seems to hang only on sector load up, but if that player is already in the sector they are fine. This can lead to problems where no one can get near the sector >.< Sector file download for reference (was too big to attach it) https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqvyc5uibtpm807/BadSector.zip?dl=0

Side note: we think it may have something to do with commodity trade route calculation on the client since one of the stations in system had one on it at the time but we are uncertain.

------------------

My Second issue is a relatively minor one, I noticed that some weapons seem to spawn with a requirement of both armed and unarmed turret slots. I had at least 3 tesla turrets spawn with this "double requirement" and I just found a laser turret as well. The funny thing is that attaching the weapon to a ship without any unarmed turret modules won't stop you from adding the turret, it will simply force it on but it still takes up unarmed turret slots. I am uncertain if this is intentional or not but based on the fact that you can still add the turrets without any unarmed turret modules makes me think it is unintentional.

Also worth mentioning, all the turrets I have seen so far with this problem came from drops and were not crafted in a turret factory.

https://imgur.com/a/w9qqTxC pictures to highlight what I mean

Note: I did remove some turrets to make room for the second pic but I didn't change any systems on my ship =\

My Second issue is a relatively minor one, I noticed that some weapons seem to spawn with a requirement of both armed and unarmed turret slots. I had at least 3 tesla turrets spawn with this "double requirement" and I just found a laser turret as well. The funny thing is that attaching the weapon to a ship without any unarmed turret modules won't stop you from adding the turret, it will simply force it on but it still takes up unarmed turret slots. I am uncertain if this is intentional or not but based on the fact that you can still add the turrets without any unarmed turret modules makes me think it is unintentional.

Also worth mentioning, all the turrets I have seen so far with this problem came from drops and were not crafted in a turret factory.

https://imgur.com/a/w9qqTxC pictures to highlight what I mean

Note: I did remove some turrets to make room for the second pic but I didn't change any systems on my ship =\

I've noticed this with a single turret so far; it's a tesla turret that takes 3 slots of both types too, like you described.

PpkI8n1.jpg

Don't have an image of the slots thing specifically, but this was a researched turret, unlike yours that were dropped.

on one save I built the entire fause rail factory chain in one sector as well as several basic needs (shipyard, research, equipment, etc..) stations along with my base defenses and 'storage yard for ships I wasn't using.  after setting all this up and adding cargo shuttles and fighters defending and trade going in and out plus attackers the sector simply had too much activity. too many entities in it.  its just too many calculations. system overload. at least that's my theory.  since then I limit how many stations I build and never have a problem.

on one save I built the entire fause rail factory chain in one sector as well as several basic needs (shipyard, research, equipment, etc..) stations along with my base defenses and 'storage yard for ships I wasn't using.  after setting all this up and adding cargo shuttles and fighters defending and trade going in and out plus attackers the sector simply had too much activity. too many entities in it.  its just too many calculations. system overload. at least that's my theory.  since then I limit how many stations I build and never have a problem.

If its just system overload I still think we need some mitigation in place to at least try and curb overload in some way. I realize it's liable to happen regardless but I think a station limiter is a good place to start, perhaps one on found ship too for a total entity count? The game will certainly improve in performance over time but placing limits is an easier temporary fix then improving performance which takes time and repeated testing.