Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

[MOD][Systems] Not Enough Turrets 1.0b

NerArth

I just made this quick mod, which adds more powerful but energy inefficient modules that increase turret slots a bit higher than normal.

This mod will conflict with other mods that change the upgradegenerator.lua file. (See readme too)

Some quick screenshots:

KEoScLf.jpg

AOUamxu.jpg

3xOJJPN.jpg

YQ9poqn.jpg

Readme (version history here):

Created by NerArth;

-- Description

"Not Enough Turrets" is a mod that I made because as a solo player I got tired of seeing NPC ships have 10 turrets, of a slot size of 3 or more, when the same wasn't possible for myself without having a ridiculous amount of system power and slotting everything as turret modules. One of my frustrations was that I couldn't possibly understand how I could get a decent amount of DPS while still having some point-defence turrets, so this is partly a band-aid for that too.

-

-- INSTALLATION

This mod requires adding two lines to the ..\data\scripts\lib\upgradegenerator.lua before you'll start seeing any modules in the game;

UpgradeGenerator.add("data/scripts/systems/netmilitary.lua", 1)

UpgradeGenerator.add("data/scripts/systems/netcivilian.lua", 1)

after the already existing lines that are similar.

I provide a modified upgradegenerator.lua file with this mod, BUT if you have other mods that modify THE SAME FILE, you must add the lines in manually, to have compatibility.

-- Version history:

1.0b.180509;

+ Made descriptive text in the modules stand out differently

+ Made module name include an E or C for energy or cargo penalty, followed by the number that represents the percent of the penalty

+ Changed legendary module bonuses and made the bonuses generally more volatile; bearing in mind that both price and energy requirement will go up with each additional turret slot provided by modules. (e.g. A legendary with 35 slots can cost as much as 48million credits and require roughly 11GW of energy for military); as of this version, rarities can have up to the following bonus numbers:

Petty (grey): 1 (remaining the same as before)

Common (white): 1 to 3 (up from 1)

Uncommon (green): 2 to 5 (up from 3)

Rare (blue): 4 to 7 (up from 5)

Exceptional (yellow): 6 to 9 (up from 7)

Exotic (red): 8 to 11 (up from 9)

Legendary (purple): 20 to 35 (up from 11)

Any old modules may be anywhere between these ranges, depending on seed.

As a development note, at this point I am not super concerned about adding adjustable config values, more especially since it's not user-friendly to adjust mod configs at the time of writing.

I might possibly rename the mod from Not Enough Turrets to Not Enough Tech, if I start adding other modules in the future. Would like to add a module that adjusts efficiency for civilian turrets but can't see a feasible way of doing that just yet, though I don't think it's impossible.

1.0a.180504;

Added additional penalties to the NET modules.

1.0.180503;

Created the mod, made NET Civilian and NET Military modules; these are modules meant for very large ships that give a high amount of turret slots at a proportionally inefficient energy cost. Functionality may be tweaked in a later version to change in what ways they can be inefficient.

Download:

1.0b (Google Drive)

Old versions:

1.0a

Note on uninstalling:

Fairly simple methods; verify your game content with steam, which will make your game completely vanilla again; or remove the added lines from upgradegenerator.lua delete the netcivilian.lua and netmilitary.lua files.

Either way, it's safe to load a galaxy that previously had the mod installed, as the old modules will simply become blanked trash modules; however, I've noticed while testing this that these blank modules can cause issues, such as becoming non-removable if already slotted into a ship, so I recommend removing installed modules from any ships before un-installing, so you can safely delete them in the full inventory view with the Destroy button.

To-do list:

• Change the negative impacts that can roll on the modules;
  • Try to include a config file where values can be tweaked globally, instead of individually for added modules;Not likely to be doing this for the mod soon because currently configs for mods aren't very user-friendly in my opinion, but it's on my mind for the future

I just installed this and am booting up.  am wondering about upgrades tho... will these be upgradable to legendary or will they revert to vanilla when researched?  either way I can see the benefit of the mod and am glad to see it!

thanks

I just installed this and am booting up.  am wondering about upgrades tho... will these be upgradable to legendary or will they revert to vanilla when researched?  either way I can see the benefit of the mod and am glad to see it!

thanks

Oops, I just uploaded a new version right after I saw your comment! The new version adds more penalties to the modules; watch out, the modules are meant to be for late/end-game ships where you can build around the penalties (though I didn't want them to be that severe either... so may still warrant some balancing)

You can play with the initial version for no penalties of course.  8)

They will go up to legendary if you keep researching them; these don't replace any vanilla modules, so they never become normal turret modules, if that's what you mean? Could you rephrase your question about the research? Just want to answer accurately.

They will go up to legendary if you keep researching them; these don't replace any vanilla modules, so they never become normal turret modules, if that's what you mean? Could you rephrase your question about the research? Just want to answer accurately.

I believe you answered it.  I noticed when I researched the vanilla anti fighter turrets after they released that they revert to being normal chainguns. same with the other defensive's. point defense becomes normal lasers. not always the first research. but eventually.  even when using nothing but same type turrets.  so I was curious if these modded systems would also do that or stay as the modded or revert to normal system upgrades.  I still haven't done much involving the mod tho so cant comment beyond loving the idea

I believe you answered it.  I noticed when I researched the vanilla anti fighter turrets after they released that they revert to being normal chainguns. same with the other defensive's. point defense becomes normal lasers. not always the first research. but eventually.  even when using nothing but same type turrets.  so I was curious if these modded systems would also do that or stay as the modded or revert to normal system upgrades.  I still haven't done much involving the mod tho so cant comment beyond loving the idea

Ah ok; I had tested it with the research at the time I replied to you previously and it all seemed to work fine. Thanks for your feedback so far; if you do find any issues or have any other feedback for further development, such as balancing and how you are using modules with other stuff etc, do let me know.

I like the mod, but was wondering if you would add more possible drawbacks or maybe have some systems with multiple drawbacks, maybe something like reduced shields, decreased velocity or acceleration, lower warp distance, increased warp recharge, etc.  I think the number of turrets far outshines the penalties you can get so far especially if you don't care about cargo, the energy cost also seems rather negligeable.  I don't see why someone would want to use the normal turret systems if they can use these.

I like the mod, but was wondering if you would add more possible drawbacks or maybe have some systems with multiple drawbacks, maybe something like reduced shields, decreased velocity or acceleration, lower warp distance, increased warp recharge, etc.  I think the number of turrets far outshines the penalties you can get so far especially if you don't care about cargo, the energy cost also seems rather negligeable.  I don't see why someone would want to use the normal turret systems if they can use these.

I think that's a fair critique; I didn't want to do overdo the penalties because I don't know how people might build their ships with these modules, so while I can predict some factors, I was trying to be cautious. In addition to this, I actually don't know how people generally build their ships. I don't build ships made entirely of Avorion, but I'm guessing some people do. How should this be balanced?

And you're right that for a person that doesn't care about cargo, that's a penalty that is not very relevant.

So far, my own use of these modules tells me that I rarely use them on smaller ships because of the energy cost, so I do still use the vanilla modules on those ships. It can be easy to offset the cost for a larger ship, but again, I don't have the statistical information to be making an informed decision on how I should be balancing these. My idea is that at most you should want up to 2 of each module, so 2 military + 2 civilian; if you have a 15 slot ship, that leaves 11 slots to either counter the penalties or boost something else.

This means that if you have 2 legendary MX-20s  you'd have +40 to armed turrets, or +70 if they were best rolls with MX-35; I personally think this is reasonable because the largest turrets take up a lot of slots and the whole point of the mod is to let you have other weaker, smaller slot turrets, but for people hosting servers they might want a config for the values... It's a possible to-do.

And finally, the whole idea for the mod, as mentioned in the OP is to let you have a larger amount of smaller turrets mixed with a few bigger turrets (which is how I'm using it) but obviously this can't be enforced because of the way the turret slots system works. Ideally it would be fantastic to be able to have, for example, an uncommon rarity module add +4 slots to any turret that doesn't take up more than 2, and say +1 to a turret that takes up no more than 4 or something. (if this idea doesn't make sense to read I'll make a mock-up image that demonstrates clearly)

Ultimately, my concern is that if I put very great penalties, you won't feel like using the modules at all unless they are legendary rarity. There's a lot to think about in regards to balance, and I've made this reply quite long already...

I would like anyone's feedback on this: How are you currently using the modules? (How many are slotted in, of what rarity, on a ship of what size/slots/hull, etc...)

a lot of us have already 'beat the end game' or in other words defeated the final boss so wouldn't care about any module under legendary anyway in most cases.  I for one have a few hundred legendary's in inv and so much junk I normally just mark everything below exceptional as trash and one click sell it at the dock.  for those that haven't gotten there yet, its so easy to get modules and research them to legendary that it wouldn't take long anyway.  researching modules is great in this game. not a huge amount of rng to smack you.  its the turrets that suck to research.

prolly why so many just craft them instead.

Ive half shelved the game for now. I have enough resources saved up to rebuild my entire empire 3 or 4 times over and nothing in the galaxy can hurt me.. sure if half the galaxy attacked one system theyd prolly win but then theyd be wiped out. which doesn't work in current version so no fun. meh. anyway that's another topic.

a lot of us have already 'beat the end game' or in other words defeated the final boss so wouldn't care about any module under legendary anyway in most cases.  I for one have a few hundred legendary's in inv and so much junk I normally just mark everything below exceptional as trash and one click sell it at the dock.  for those that haven't gotten there yet, its so easy to get modules and research them to legendary that it wouldn't take long anyway.  researching modules is great in this game. not a huge amount of rng to smack you.  its the turrets that suck to research.

prolly why so many just craft them instead.

I understand that lower rarity modules are not worth much to post-endgame players like yourself, but I'm not sure what the point you're making is, exactly; could you please clarify? I'm just not sure if you mean if the modules are fine as they are or if they do indeed need more penalties, especially to compensate the bonus at legendary level; or if you mean something else entirely that I've completely missed.

Ive half shelved the game for now. I have enough resources saved up to rebuild my entire empire 3 or 4 times over and nothing in the galaxy can hurt me.. sure if half the galaxy attacked one system theyd prolly win but then theyd be wiped out. which doesn't work in current version so no fun. meh. anyway that's another topic.

And personally I think anyone can burn out from any game. In related genres, I played Freelancer, mostly multiplayer and modded, for almost 10 years or something like that, at least more than a few times every week but eventually it did trail off completely for me. I guess in Avorion it can be quite easy to become very powerful in the endgame, which leads to a loss of having a challenge and becoming bored, because of the way stat scaling works without a hard cap -which can both be good and bad, depending on intended replayability of a game. But like you say, that's for another topic, though I don't mind discussing those things. :D

I understand it too ! Right now I'm waiting for the next update that'll hopefully stabilize build mode so I could continue playing, but the devs are swamped with zounds of bugs, like, there's an entire page in the bug section dedicated to 0.17.1 :(...

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...