[Turns out is not a bug] Turrets systems and slots

Nokta

Already made a in-game report but writing here for visibility too and maybe somebody else have found this nasty one, have a better repro or a workaround to keep playing because, right now, this is kinda killing every game I start.

At some point, usually after I found my second ship in Trinium area with my first one still around, turret systems will stop giving the right amount of weapon slots, both civilian and military.

Meaning, if I put a +5 military turret system on, I won't be able to place 5 military turrets, but usually only 2 or 3. Same for civilian turrets. All turrets system will stop working correctly and new systems you put on the ships will still fail to provide the right amount.

This is true for every new ship built. Turret system will simply stop working correctly limiting the amount of weapons you can mount on both new and old ships.

They work fine at galaxy creation but stop functioning correctly after that.

My first ship had +4 military +5 civilian and weapons where shooting fine. After I encountered the bug in my 2nd ship, I went to modify my first one, removed one weapon and then weren't able to mount it again because of no more available slots.

Sorry for not being able to give a solid repro.

Submitted specific .log in the original bug report but can provide it here too if needed.

Hope this helps somehow because this is really killing my games :S

Have you seen if the turrets you're placing take up more than one slot? When they get more powerful they take 2 slots, while Railguns and Cannons can take 3 and 4 respectively.

The systems themselves only provide extra slots, not directly more turrets.

Yeah, thank you. Turns out I'm just dumb.

I was used to the old system where every turret occupied one slot and never caught how the new system works.

Already got a reply from the support and there is no bug here indeed.

So, I'll turn my not-so-much-bug report into a suggestion as I'd like to think I'm not the only one who got confused by the system:

What about a grid-based interface in the ship display to better represent the slot usage of each weapon? I'm thinking something RPG inventory-like. Right now is very hard to keep track of the slots you have available and how much each turret is occupying. Might help to have a visual clue turning raw numbers into grid "space".

Without you people pointing it out it would have been hard for me to figure out the change, to the point I thought it was a bug (and got really frustrated in the the process lol)! I think players might benefit from more hints on how turrets and slot system works in the future.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Even if it was a misunderstanding, there is still a bug here. He showed up with me when I converted my existing ship using a template. All weapons were removed from the ship, but one remained invisible and then occupied a slot.

To fix this it was necessary to reset the complete configuration of the weapons. Delete all key bindings and remove all weapons. After that, the slots were back to 0.