[HANG] Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error!

Thundercraft

I had quit playing Avorion for over a year and I decided to get into it again. Knowing that the game has received updates and remembering that I had installed mods and modified files, I opted out of Beta, deleted most of the game files, and clicked the "Verify Integrity of Game Files" button in Steam > Properties > Local Files. Since I liked to play on Rusty's Server, I then installed their mod pack (per their instructions).

Now, though, the game either crashes to desktop or hangs after this error message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error!

Program: C:\GAMES(STEAM)\steamapps\common\Avorion\bin\Avorion.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

This happens randomly, either after several hours or - in the case of this last time - less than a minute after connecting with the server. It's such that I hesitate to play anymore. Imagine this happening if I'm in an alliance while engaged in a fight with a boss...

I've reported this to the server owner/admin, but this is news to him. It doesn't sound like anyone else is experiencing this. He suggested that I uninstall and then reinstall Avorion. Also, he suggested that I uninstall and then reinstall my Visual C++ Runtime Library.

Well, I've done both. And the latter was not easy, because I had 13 separate Visual C++ Runtime Libraries to find a source for, download, uninstall and then reinstall. (Visual C++ Runtimes including 2005 and both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit versions of 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2017.) At the time, I did not have 32-bit/64-bit 2017, but I've since added those.

Unfortunately, I'm still experiencing this issue.  ??? ::) :'(

Looking at the most recent clientlog, this is the only suspicious line that occurs right before the game decides to shut down:

2018-04-15 21-33-19| An exception occurred: volume has to be between 0 and 1

What the heck does that line mean? Can anyone give me a translation? Could this be a memory issue or something else? Does this suggest a possible culprit?

NOTE: To be fair, my Windows 8.1 PC has been experiencing a growing number problems in the last year. It's gotten so bad that it frequently locks up (as in, completely and totally hangs) when I watch online videos or even playing certain games. Also, it regularly looses time such that the clock sometimes even goes backwards. I've done a number of things to try to resolve this, including replacing the video card drivers, using this procedure to repair corrupt files, and replacing the power supply with a brand new one.

At this point, I figure these are the most likely causes: (1) Either my video card is going bad on me or (2) My Windows is suffering from a nasty degenerative condition and needs to be reinstalled. I'm considering the latter, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas first.

PS: I did a complete test of my system's memory when I built it (a few years ago) and found no issues. But, perhaps I should do another test?

• Boxelware Team

It doesn't rely on any Visual Studio Runtime, that's just a generic and VERY MISLEADING error of Windows because apparently Windows thinks that the only C++ compiler ever being used on Windows is cl.exe (MS Visual Studio). Avorion is compiled with gcc on linux, and MinGW-w64 on Windows.

Considering the error: That error is thrown when the volume setting of a music track or sound effect is greater than 1 (edit: actually whenever it's not between 0.0 and 1.0) - but it's possible that that isn't the actual culprit of the crash. To find the cause reliably we'd need the client logs from when the crash happened.