Fix Crew Hiring Interface

TE5LA

Suggestion

I'll admit that I'm pretty new in the game, not having played that many hours, but I believe you should be able to purchase as few as one of any type of crew? If this is correct, then the interface for hiring crew should be improved. It is impossible for me to hire fewer than five regular crewmen. When trying to drag that slider, the minimum I can select is five because the thing is so sensitive. With five crew selected to hire, the vertical indicator on the slider has not even visually moved at all to the right. It is still perfectly aligned with all the others. I have even tried reducing the DPI on my mouse to minimum and one tick is five crewmen. I tried for about 20 minutes to select fewer, but never could.

A digital representation with "add" and "subtract" buttons should be added so you can click these to change the amounts, then you could still use the slider for quick selections and use the buttons for more accurate results. If the minimum amount of crewmen you should be able to hire is indeed five, then this should be noted on the interface.

4 answers to this suggestion

Yep, the slider is fiddly in Creative Mode, but it's kind of ok because it's not very important. On non-creative most stations will probably have less than 1 crewman per pixel :).

It will probably be upgraded like the crew transfer UI, when planetary management stuff will hopefully happen.

another adjustment that might help would be to lower mouse sensitivity in the game settings rather than just the dpi of the mouse itself.  I had to for controlling ship and camera easier. dunno for sure if it will help with your issue or not.

another adjustment that might help would be to lower mouse sensitivity in the game settings rather than just the dpi of the mouse itself.  I had to for controlling ship and camera easier. dunno for sure if it will help with your issue or not.

Mouse sensitivity really has nothing to do with it, as it is just a step weight relative to the total roster of available crew is what determines what's the minimum you can get.

On a side note, I don't think that regular game settings or any of the available server produce such an issue, as the maximum crew roster for any profession goes close to a 1000, which is when the issue occurs. Even when I myself have modded my game to give me up to 500 crewmen, I still could choose to hire 1 guy.

I'm unsure of what could've caused for so many crewmen to be available at the station in the first place, and I also don't see a problem with hiring a couple extra crewmen, thus I don't see a justification for a proposed change to be made, since the issue that change would cover is so miserably insignificant, that it doesn't really worth any effort.

I haven't exactly run into this issue to the point where I can't hire just one, but I do think something like a number input box (like with cargo buying/selling) would be helpful; I have chronic pain and it affects my hands and this is just one of those tiny little things that adds up with all the other typical RSI actions.